Jacobs Article on Diallo | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Jacobs Article on Diallo

Reaction Score
Not trying to kick a man when he is down, but Hamidou was exciting to me especially a season like the one we are having now, but he reminds me of Purvis. A fast and athletic gaurd he projects well should they improve from year to year... The whole Hami not being able to shoot only would have worked out for Uconn if we had good shooters at a few other positions. If he doesnt put in the work, in 2 years when he gets burried on Cals bench by the next great up and coming talent, he's going to be trying to transfer to Uconn.

Hami's best bet is to just jump to the NBA without playing college ball if he cant shoot. Although thats the beauty of UK, they can hide your weaknesses with other talented players, so it could workout for him. I guess we'll see what happens.

Yea, I don't agree with this at all. The idea that Hamidou "can't shoot" feels like an overstatement. He's not a great shooter, but he's a better athlete with much better measurables than Purvis. Maybe he never becomes a good shooter and maybe he never has a long pro career, but he can affect the game in a lot of ways with his current skillset.

Reaction Score
There will likely be a slight hit to our perception due to Diallo spurning UConn and picking Kentucky. But it won't be huge (it is Kentucky after all--every other school not named Kentucky is battling the same problem).

However, we would have taken a MASSIVE hit to our perception if he had picked UConn and then seen his stock free-fall and not get drafted in 2018. With this article from his PSA coach, there has to be some question as to whether he will be able to get past being a 6'5 incredible athlete and be a real SG prospect for the NBA. If UConn had signed this "can't miss prospect" and then he flopped, our perception among the elite recruits would be severely hurt, and you know every other coach would kill UConn on the recruiting trail with "the cautionary tale of Diallo at UConn." Obviously KO and all of us really wanted him, so it may be sour grapes. But given the quotes from the PSA coach, UConn may have dodged a bullet for our future ability to recruit elite HS players with Diallo picking KY.

That is also true, but the fact that KO's only NBA player is struggling to get minutes on his 3rd team in 3 years doesn't help either.

Basically, I don't think going 0-for-0 on getting Diallo to the NBA is much better than if we had gone 0-for-1.

Reaction Score
Our conference situation means that we have to load up on marquee early season non-conference games for RPI purposes. So you're being forced to win high level games early in the season while integrating new players. It's not the sole reason for what you're referring to but it certainly doesn't help matters that UConn can't wait for its conference season to build a tourney resume.

It's not ideal, I agree, but that is the reality.

Unfortunately, even accounting for those difficulties of integrating new players, KO hasn't done a good job of having the team ready to play right away, with this year the most egregious failure.

Reaction Score
You sure it wasn't the fact that Daniel Orton was guaranteed a roster spot cause he was drafted first round and Dwight Howard offered Sticks to live with him and train because the whole team and organization knew he deserved that last roster spot but salary cap issues led to him being cut.

Then 2 achilles injuries further derailed his career. If not for Orton Sticks would be a nba bench player

I doubt that Daniel Orton was the only obstacle in his way to make the NBA, otherwise he could have been invited to try out for another team or play through the d league to get another shot.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
tough to tell with some of these posters on this board
If you were here more than twenty minutes you would have known his reference. There was some poster who claimed Stanley had only average athleticism. There was no way to convince this person otherwise.

BigErn is sarcastically referencing that individual.

Reaction Score
Yea, I don't agree with this at all. The idea that Hamidou "can't shoot" feels like an overstatement. He's not a great shooter, but he's a better athlete with much better measurables than Purvis. Maybe he never becomes a good shooter and maybe he never has a long pro career, but he can affect the game in a lot of ways with his current skillset.

How many times have you seen him play? He really, really can't shoot. Everything his coach said sounds pretty accurate to me.

Reaction Score
I doubt that Daniel Orton was the only obstacle in his way to make the NBA, otherwise he could have been invited to try out for another team or play through the d league to get another shot.

I know Sticks very well Orton is the only reason he got cut. Stan van gundy cried while cutting him saying he deserved the spot over Orton but they couldn't do it because Orton his roster spot guaranteed. He went to the dleague and got injured right before he was going to be called up and subsequently waived by rio grande Valley because of his injury.

You honestly don't know what you're talking about regarding his career

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you were here more than twenty minutes you would have known his reference. There was some poster who claimed Stanley had only average athleticism. There was no way to convince this person otherwise.

I refuse to believe that BigErn was being sarcastic. That's not like him.

Reaction Score
I know Sticks very well Orton is the only reason he got cut. Stan van gundy cried while cutting him saying he deserved the spot over Orton but they couldn't do it because Orton his roster spot guaranteed. He went to the dleague and got injured right before he was going to be called up and subsequently waived by rio grande Valley because of his injury.

Whats sticks up to these days?

Reaction Score
Good grief the PSA coach let it all hang out. Sounds like he's ready to move on...

The most immediate question, even more immediate than his draft status, is where does Diallo's game stand right now? What does he most have to work on?

"Consistently making shots," Espinosa said. "His strength is when the game is up and down in the open court. When you get in the half court, slow the game down, that's when Hamidou struggles. With us, A. he'd take bad shots. B. he'd miss a lot of shots.

"It's also maturity on the court. People ask me what are you going to do without Hamidou? We've been playing without Hamidou for the last two years. He has been in my doghouse at times. Discipline issues, he hasn't played. He has been in foul trouble a lot, missed half the game. We're used to playing without him. We are going to be fine."

"Hamidou is a freak athlete," Espinosa said. "Gifts God gave him, not many people have. But at the same time, there's a lot of guys who are 6-5, 6-6 who are athletic who can't shoot. He has got to separate himself. He has taken too many days off, especially this fall with us, not getting better. He has so many tools, but he has to get so much better, work harder every day and be mentally tougher."

Diallo's thinking evidently is he'll work out diligently at Kentucky and practice with elite college talent to improve. Yet at this point in the season, with so many games filling the schedule, how hard can a team go at it in practice through March?

"I told him the bottom line is how you perform on the court at Kentucky [in games]," Espinosa said. "That's when you get evaluated. They're going to be competing for a national championship. They're going to be busy playing. So he has got to want to do it himself.

"He's passing up 25 games with us to 'work on his game.' That was my big argument. We do skill work during the day. Our gym is open all the time. To be honest with you, we were disappointed with him in that regard. He told us he didn't want to lift during the season, because it would mess up his shot. He wasn't in the gym enough."

A non-shooter refusing to lift weights because it'd mess up his shot? Yeesh...

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know nothing about the Orton situation but do know some Magic were pissed when they had to let him go - he was their final cut
I do know that Sticks did strike a chord with D Howard and that he was given a spot on the D League team but had some real issues with injuries when he started there and that's all she wrote.
I used to talk to him in Madison when he spent time with JC down there

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Last I heard he was playing in Chile (I know he did in 2015-2016) but indicated he might not return there

Reaction Score

Robinson was on Houston's DLeague affiliate when he tore his achilles tendon right before he was about to get called up.

Reaction Score

He was playing in Chile and DR. Had an offer to play in Japan but went to it believe uruguay played 1 game scored 22 points and some disagreement with the coach led to him not playing at all a few games after so he left the team and went home. Not sure of his next move

Reaction Score

i know bill gates really well

Reaction Score

at least i know the 20 minutes reference

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Jalen looks great to me. His numbers look good too. He has improved a lot, I'd say.
He still makes far too many turnovers at this stage, but you can see the wheels spinning and he's looking to get team mates involved. He's got the tools so the execution will improve. The Alterique injury does offer the silver lining that Jalen is getting a lot of time being the primary handler and that should help Alterique next season. Kind of similar to Bazz and Boatright.

Reaction Score
He still makes far too many turnovers at this stage, but you can see the wheels spinning and he's looking to get team mates involved. He's got the tools so the execution will improve. The Alterique injury does offer the silver lining that Jalen is getting a lot of time being the primary handler and that should help Alterique next season. Kind of similar to Bazz and Boatright.

Yes, agreed. We were talking specifically about shooting though.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yes, agreed. We were talking specifically about shooting though.
Missed that.

Actually like that the kid can make the long two. Gottlieb made a point of it. It's a lost art as he stated. The three has made the greatest impact recently, but a pg that can penetrate should have the stop and pop to his game. Really opens up the game for assists and the reduction in turnovers.

The Jalen that played in Maui hasn't been there recently. Probably a combo of concussion set back and fatigue. The Jalen that we observed in Maui was similar to the junior Kemba.

Reaction Score

Purvis was extremely athletic, although perhaps not on Hami's level. Although scouting reports said he had better handles coming out of high school than Hami... But truth is we'll see what happens when he hits the floor. Again, at a place like UK, he probably wont even have to shoot the ball that much if they have other shooters. He can spend his time slashing and catching alley oops, playing to his strengths (provided UK has some quality shooters on the team). We'll see how things pan out, either way im interested in seeing what he can do at the college level. I know we all view Purvis rather poorly now, but Pruvis was a pretty big recruit coming out of high school himself. If Hami doesnt develop a jump shot though, i dont think the comparison is that far off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom