Jacobs Article on Diallo | The Boneyard

Jacobs Article on Diallo

Reaction Score
As am I but read the second half at least. PSA coach wasn't exactly glowing about his work ethic and mental makeup.

I was very surprised to see that level of candor in a random article. For a coach at that level, at this time, to take potshots at his work ethic, mental makeup, attitude, jump shot....you just don't see that often.

Reaction Score
"Hamidou is a freak athlete," Espinosa said. "Gifts God gave him, not many people have. But at the same time, there's a lot of guys who are 6-5, 6-6 who are athletic who can't shoot. He has got to separate himself. He has taken too many days off, especially this fall with us, not getting better. He has so many tools, but he has to get so much better, work harder every day and be mentally tougher."

Could have dodged a bullet which UConn wouldn't have wanted for a year and a half, his personal try out doing it his way?

Reaction Score
Jacobs' perspective is colored by the coach though. This coach called Diallo a superstar because it's his first one. Doesn't seem to realize that there are a lot like him even in the NE Prep scene year after year.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Interesting article and inside details about him from the coach.

I'm still very optimistic on our 2017-2018 team next season without Diallo. and would love to face UK next year.

Reaction Score
I was very surprised to see that level of candor in a random article. For a coach at that level, at this time, to take potshots at his work ethic, mental makeup, attitude, jump shot....you just don't see that often.

I would have done backflips if we got Diallo, BUT.... having a rep for not working hard and needing to develop a jump shot aren't a good recipe for success. All of our great shooters were notorious gym rats. Shabazz, Lamb, Ray, Rashad, etc.... were all known to put up hundreds of shots per day. One thing that I love to hear about a high school recruit is that he is always in the gym.

Reaction Score
We would have taken him in a heartbeat of course but he would also present a problem which is jacking up and missing shots. It's the one area we have excelled at this year. I agree with a previous poster who said we need shot makers, and so does everyone, but they don't all have to be able to touch the top of the backboard. Could Bazz even dunk?

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
I didn't read the whole thing because I am tired of reading about HD.

My God , can it end already. Next thing will be a thread following his Co-Ed activity at
Kentucky. It's become cyber stalking . Just get me Ayala and two grad transfers and keep it moving.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I think he has some egg on his face. Might be a bit irked, tho I don't see him as wanting to degrade HD. Perhaps brutal honesty is his nature.

It's interesting to see Rodney's best game being the first one post-Hami. It's like a weight came off his shoulders. Did he think Hami was going to send him to the bench?

Reaction Score
We forced the kid to go to Kentucky with our play this year. End of story.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
A few quotes that really stood out to me:

The most immediate question, even more immediate than his draft status, is where does Diallo's game stand right now? What does he most have to work on?

"Consistently making shots," Espinosa said. "His strength is when the game is up and down in the open court. When you get in the half court, slow the game down, that's when Hamidou struggles. With us, A. he'd take bad shots. B. he'd miss a lot of shots.

"It's also maturity on the court. People ask me what are you going to do without Hamidou? We've been playing without Hamidou for the last two years. He has been in my doghouse at times. Discipline issues, he hasn't played. He has been in foul trouble a lot, missed half the game. We're used to playing without him. We are going to be fine."

"Hamidou is a freak athlete," Espinosa said. "Gifts God gave him, not many people have. But at the same time, there's a lot of guys who are 6-5, 6-6 who are athletic who can't shoot. He has got to separate himself. He has taken too many days off, especially this fall with us, not getting better. He has so many tools, but he has to get so much better, work harder every day and be mentally tougher."

In summary:
  • "Takes bad shots"
  • "Misses a lot of shots"
  • "Been in foul trouble a lot"
  • "Not getting better"
  • "Be mentally tougher"

His coach is making HD sound like a microcosm of everything that's been wrong with our teams the past year or so.

I know this could just be sour grapes on my part, but we may be better off in the long term without him -- It all depends who we can recruit in his place.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
This is the age of the three point shooter with a quick release. Sound familiar- Ray Allen.
When recruiting for the 2 or 3 spot, Ollie has to give extra attention to the ability to knock down the three ball. Hitting threes makes up for a lot of other flaws.

Reaction Score
This is the age of the three point shooter with a quick release. Sound familiar- Ray Allen.
When recruiting for the 2 or 3 spot, Ollie has to give extra attention to the ability to knock down the three ball. Hitting threes makes up for a lot of other flaws.
You cherry picking the greatest players in the history of our program and saying we need to get more of those guys will never not be funny.

Reaction Score
I never felt like missing out on Diallo would harm us most on the court. Lord knows we have enough guys who can't shoot and who struggle in the half-court.

My concern was always about the perception of our program and the impact on future elite recruits. That remains to be seen.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
You cherry picking the greatest players in the history of our program and saying we need to get more of those guys will never not be funny.
No, I am pointing out that the importance of three point shooters in today's game and using Ray as an example. I could have used Curry.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I never felt like missing out on Diallo would harm us most on the court. Lord knows we have enough guys who can't shoot and who struggle in the half-court.

My concern was always about the perception of our program and the impact on future elite recruits. That remains to be seen.
This is fair. But just like it's rational to expect it to take a while to rebuild the roster into a top 15 team, it stands to reason that it's rational to expect it to take a while for us to rebuild our ability to recruit top 15 players.

Reaction Score
No, I am pointing out that the importance of three point shooters in today's game and using Ray as an example. I could have used Curry.
You mean Steph Curry, another one of the greatest players in the history of basketball? Yeah, that would have been totally different.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
You mean Steph Curry, another one of the greatest players in the history of basketball? Yeah, that would have been totally different.
Do you want me to use Purvis to illustrate the importance of the lack of three ball shooting?
Would that make you happy?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom