Jacobs Article on Diallo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jacobs Article on Diallo

Reaction Score
I wonder if the coach's comments are sour grapes since he's leaving them early, I get not being biased but it sounds overly harsh.
I think he wasn't of fan of hd doing a pg year half assed. And also not including him in the recruiting process really. Remember all those quotes before he even committed, "he might as well get it over with". Psa was losing games with him this year too. They weren't dominate

Reaction Score
Do you want me to use Purvis to illustrate the importance of the lack of three ball shooting?
Would that make you happy?
I'd like you to have the awareness necessary to realize everyone already knows 3 point shooting is important, or better yet, to have the ability to understand that Ollie is already recruiting guys at the 2/3 that have reputations as good shooters.

Sadly, both of these are beyond you.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think he has some egg on his face. Might be a bit irked, tho I don't see him as wanting to degrade HD. Perhaps brutal honesty is his nature.

It's interesting to see Rodney's best game being the first one post-Hami. It's like a weight came off his shoulders. Did he think Hami was going to send him to the bench?
There are two filters between Hami and us - Espinosa and JJ. JJ is not above injecting his emotions into an article. And you can see from this thread all the different opinions which further magnifies the point that events are best served with our own personal seasoning.

But I thought the same as you. Not only Rodney but most of the team played like a weight was lifted from their shoulders. It's not unrealistic to wonder how much the team felt like the coaches didn't trust them to work things out and how much this contributed to the results in games. We'll never know for certain, but I wouldn't rule it out. Nor would I overly weight it. It's just human of us not to feel appreciated at times. More so when things are going badly.

Reaction Score
FYI there was another piece in the Norwich bulletin with different but similar quotes. Espinosa seemed in a rush to get things off his chest.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I just hope that anyone who thought a guy who struggles in the halfcourt was going to be the answer to our prayers this season realizes how silly that thinking was.

I'm not saying I didn't want him or that I'm not disappointed that he picked UK. But if he was a deadeye shooter or a skilled big man, I'd be a lot more upset.

Sounds like Espinosa has a bit of an axe to grind, honestly. You don't see a coach sell out a player like that very often unless there's some bad blood.

Reaction Score
Shooting can sometimes be taught.

Ryan Boatright, AJ Price are two examples. Kemba Walker is another. Also, an argument can be made about Niels Giffey. Doesn't always work of course. Multiple examples of it not working too.

Point is, we have to hope kids like Vital and Jackson become the dead-eye shooters we have had in the recent past.

Few UConn kids came in ready to shoot. Rashad Anderson, Ray Allen, Albert Mouring. Not many more.

Reaction Score
Stanley Robinson was a freak athlete who wasnt a great consistent shooter and yes had some other off the court issues, but could never put it together for the next level.

Reaction Score
"Hamidou is a freak athlete," Espinosa said. "Gifts God gave him, not many people have. But at the same time, there's a lot of guys who are 6-5, 6-6 who are athletic who can't shoot. He has got to separate himself. He has taken too many days off, especially this fall with us, not getting better. He has so many tools, but he has to get so much better, work harder every day and be mentally tougher."

Could have dodged a bullet which UConn wouldn't have wanted for a year and a half, his personal try out doing it his way?

Not trying to kick a man when he is down, but Hamidou was exciting to me especially a season like the one we are having now, but he reminds me of Purvis. A fast and athletic gaurd he projects well should they improve from year to year... The whole Hami not being able to shoot only would have worked out for Uconn if we had good shooters at a few other positions. If he doesnt put in the work, in 2 years when he gets burried on Cals bench by the next great up and coming talent, he's going to be trying to transfer to Uconn.

Hami's best bet is to just jump to the NBA without playing college ball if he cant shoot. Although thats the beauty of UK, they can hide your weaknesses with other talented players, so it could workout for him. I guess we'll see what happens.

Reaction Score
Not trying to kick a man when he is down, but Hamidou was exciting to me especially a season like the one we are having now, but he reminds me of Purvis. A fast and athletic gaurd he projects well should they improve from year to year... The whole Hami not being able to shoot only would have worked out for Uconn if we had good shooters at a few other positions. If he doesnt put in the work, in 2 years when he gets burried on Cals bench by the next great up and coming talent, he's going to be trying to transfer to Uconn.

Hami's best bet is to just jump to the NBA without playing college ball if he cant shoot. Although thats the beauty of UK, they can hide your weaknesses with other talented players, so it could workout for him. I guess we'll see what happens.

Rodney is not the athlete that Hamidou is. If you want comparisons for Hamidou, look at Gerald Green who is currently on the Celtics. Green is taller than Hami, but is just a super-athletic freak hi-flyer. 41% career FG%, but 9 teams in 11 years.

Still, 11 years in the NBA. Earning about $1m this year.

In other words, even given Hami's current skills, there may be a place for him in the NBA. No matter what Espinosa says, those kids are not a dime a dozen.

Reaction Score
This is fair. But just like it's rational to expect it to take a while to rebuild the roster into a top 15 team, it stands to reason that it's rational to expect it to take a while for us to rebuild our ability to recruit top 15 players.

Not to your point about recruiting, but about rebuilding into a top 15 team: do you realize that we've been ranked preseason in the #15-20 range each of the last 3 years, only to quickly fall out of the rankings and not return?

National writers expected this program to remain -- if not elite/dominant -- at least consistent and respectable, and we've failed spectacularly at that. And it may be affecting recruiting.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I never felt like missing out on Diallo would harm us most on the court. Lord knows we have enough guys who can't shoot and who struggle in the half-court.

My concern was always about the perception of our program and the impact on future elite recruits. That remains to be seen.

There will likely be a slight hit to our perception due to Diallo spurning UConn and picking Kentucky. But it won't be huge (it is Kentucky after all--every other school not named Kentucky is battling the same problem).

However, we would have taken a MASSIVE hit to our perception if he had picked UConn and then seen his stock free-fall and not get drafted in 2018. With this article from his PSA coach, there has to be some question as to whether he will be able to get past being a 6'5 incredible athlete and be a real SG prospect for the NBA. If UConn had signed this "can't miss prospect" and then he flopped, our perception among the elite recruits would be severely hurt, and you know every other coach would kill UConn on the recruiting trail with "the cautionary tale of Diallo at UConn." Obviously KO and all of us really wanted him, so it may be sour grapes. But given the quotes from the PSA coach, UConn may have dodged a bullet for our future ability to recruit elite HS players with Diallo picking KY.

Reaction Score
Not to your point about recruiting, but about rebuilding into a top 15 team: do you realize that we've been ranked preseason in the #15-20 range each of the last 3 years, only to quickly fall out of the rankings and not return?

Our conference situation means that we have to load up on marquee early season non-conference games for RPI purposes. So you're being forced to win high level games early in the season while integrating new players. It's not the sole reason for what you're referring to but it certainly doesn't help matters that UConn can't wait for its conference season to build a tourney resume.

Reaction Score
I actually don't think it'll be a huge hit. The fact UConn was in it till the end with just UK says enough. Ollie needs to get the ship right....

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

National writers expected this program to remain -- if not elite/dominant -- at least consistent and respectable, and we've failed spectacularly at that.
National writers are often wrong. I'm skeptical of any program that goes into the season with a question mark or a non-PG at PG (which we have for each of the last three years), and of any program that struggles to rebound the ball (which we usually have), or any program that loses their best player after each season (which has been the case each of the last three years).

To put it another way: As soon as Hamilton declared, it was ridiculous to think we'd be a top 15 team this season. You can't lose your 3 best players from the year before and be an elite team unless you recruit like Duke, UK or Kansas. Even Michigan State is learning that lesson.

The good news? Adams answers two of those huge questions because if he returns:
  • We return our best player year-over-year for the first time since Bazz
  • We enter the season with a true, experienced PG for the first time since Bazz
If he leaves we're kind of boned, of course.
And it may be affecting recruiting.
And yet in 2016+2017 we've had 9 players enter the program so far
  • Four are top-50 recruits (AG, MAL, Larrier, JD)
  • Two others are consensus 4-stars (Jackson, Polley)
  • The other three are high 3/borderline 4-stars (Diarra, Vital, Carleton)
Plus we still have room to add a highly recruited JuCo in Olden and a step-into-the-lineup postgrad big man. In terms of pure volume of contributors, that compares well on paper to any two-year haul under Calhoun save for the 1996+97 and 2008+09 recruiting classes.

The glass is neither half full nor half empty. It's 3/4s full, and the future is bright despite this winter of discontent.

Reaction Score
Interesting article and inside details about him from the coach.

I'm still very optimistic on our 2017-2018 team next season without Diallo. and would love to face UK next year.

Very excited for the triple threat ball handling of Jalen (assuming he stays), Alterique & MAL. Something we've sorely been missing this season. Bright future is ahead

Reaction Score

Ryan Boatright, AJ Price are two examples. Kemba Walker is another. Also, an argument can be made about Niels Giffey. Doesn't always work of course. Multiple examples of it not working too.

Point is, we have to hope kids like Vital and Jackson become the dead-eye shooters we have had in the recent past.

Few UConn kids came in ready to shoot. Rashad Anderson, Ray Allen, Albert Mouring. Not many more.
I'd like to think you are right when hoping for improvement in the off season. Thought Jalen would have been more improved, but Jackson and Vital have the basics already. I'd like a knock down 3 point shooter added.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Vital as a nice looking shot. Just needs to learn coming off of screens, get more confidence, etc. Vance has a shot but needs confidence but also he is very good at rebounding and getting into the lane with the dribble. They're going to be tremendous players for he program going forward. This year of play will help them immensely

Reaction Score
Wow...very surprised at that level of honesty from the PSA coach. These are all things that he has obviously expressed to Hamidou privately but its rare to see a HS coach talk like that in the media.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

if u ready my message, i said Robinson was a freak athlete but not a great consistent shooter who couldnt put it together for the next level (NBA), not sure what the revisionist history comment is about

Reaction Score
Stanley Robinson was a freak athlete who wasnt a great consistent shooter and yes had some other off the court issues, but could never put it together for the next level.

You sure it wasn't the fact that Daniel Orton was guaranteed a roster spot cause he was drafted first round and Dwight Howard offered Sticks to live with him and train because the whole team and organization knew he deserved that last roster spot but salary cap issues led to him being cut.

Then 2 achilles injuries further derailed his career. If not for Orton Sticks would be a nba bench player

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom