Jackson?! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jackson?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
From what I've seen 3 games in, I am more impressed by Sanogo's ability and overall production. I would imagine they were both beasts in HS, but I like Adama more so far. That's it.

There it is, the definitive rankings.

Also, awesome scouting report that our best recruit can only dunk. I gotta feeling you’re wrong but maybe I’m messed up.

Reaction Score
Jackson is an amazing athlete, but at this point he can't offer much beyond athleticism, running the floor, a little bit of defense ad rebounding.

We have plenty of other guys who can offer all of that and more.

His time will come, that's for damn sure - and I look forward to it.

Reaction Score
Then why did Gaffney see so many mins? He can't shoot either and can't get by anyone on the dribble. Swap him for Andre and leave RJ and Bouk out there with him.

Andre does get the quick hook but he’s also a bit indecisive. Early for him but I would like to see more minutes and a little longer rope also. There’s a lot there.

Reaction Score
He is too raw to play the 3 this year. That’s where he needs to end up but he doesn’t have the permiter skill set yet. He will get there but this year he needs to play the 4. I got killed in other thread for saying it but I don’t see how he’s any better than sid Wilson until he fixes up his shooting .... just an elite athlete for now

Sid Wilson had 10 assists last season. Jackson had 6 in his first game--so there's that.

Neither player can shoot. Though Sid probably has a slight edge (non shooter vs 26% shooter...) Both are athletic, though Jackson is more explosive and stronger. Jackson is a significantly better ballhandler.

I said from the beginning that Jackson was going to need time. He is a super high ceiling, but raw prospect. Sid is just an athlete--Jackson knows how to ball but needs refinement. He is a + ballhandler for his size, has brilliant passing instincts, but just needs to catch up to the college game.

Give him time.

Reaction Score
If your really mean best shooting lineup would have to include Polley over martin.
polley who isnt the same guy as last year
i wouldnt put polley in front of anyone in any category except for highest foul rate. we talking about now not later this season when we all hope he's fully recovered.

Reaction Score
Jackson is fine. He runs and moves well. Good athletic ability. Physically capable of playing at this level. I've seen nothing that suggests he will not be a good or even great player for us. The idea that plays are not being run for him yet is unrealistic. None of our past stars were stars right away. Caron may of been the closest to being "the guy" on day one, but his first team was really young and bad. This is not the case. We have a star. The plays the o.p. wants to be run for Jackson are going to Bouk. And even Bouk struggled to convert much of the night.

Reaction Score
^^Polley is still the better shooter than martin.
but he's not right now. polley shooting 25% from 3 and martin is at 33%. polley shooting 33% overall compared to 54% for martin.

C

Chief00

Hard to play him against a zone when he can’t shoot.
Chief saw Jackson some the last couple years and he did improve his shooting stroke in my opinion but it’s a journey, still has lots more work to do.

Reaction Score
Where was Jackson tonight? I get he's a frosh and that Martin has played solid, but he's too talented to not see the floor, especially when our offense got flat.

The most disappointing thing was seeing Hurley trot out the same lineup in the second half when our offense was inept vs their zone. Same guards with Bouk, Gaff, RJ, and Martin. None of them could create. Gaff is never a shooting threat or someone who will beat you off the dribble, unfortunately. Jackson would have been the perfect guy to put in the middle of that zone with his passing skills and bouncy athleticism.

Gotta question Hurley a bit with being stubborn and not changing things when our offense stalled. USC blew multiple opportunities. Against a better team, we lose. But I guess a win is a win.
Who he supposed to play for? Bouknight? Martin? Whaley? He plays the 3/4. That is Bouknight and Whaley.

If you shift Bouknight to the 2. You are taking out Cole or Gaffney and playing him over Martin.

The team has a lot of talent. It isn’t all ripe yet. But a lot ability on the roster.

Reaction Score
When comparing a junior and a senior, using a 3 game sample size is pretty disingenuous.
not when we are debating who has been the better shooter thus far. the stats back up the eye test. everyone knows polley isnt right, maybe you dont idk. but what does them being a junior and senior have todo with it?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
not when we are debating who has been the better shooter thus far. the stats back up the eye test. everyone knows polley isnt right, maybe you dont idk. but what does them being a junior and senior have todo with it?
You clearly don't understand sample sizes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who he supposed to play for? Bouknight? Martin? Whaley? He plays the 3/4. That is Bouknight and Whaley.

If you shift Bouknight to the 2. You are taking out Cole or Gaffney and playing him over Martin.

The team has a lot of talent. It isn’t all ripe yet. But a lot ability on the roster.

Bouknight is a 2. He should only ever play the 2, except when milking a late lead. Martin is a 3/4. Polley is a 3/4 Adams is a 2/3/4 (and shouldn't be a 4). If Josh plays more, and Whaley is a 4, then Martin will be at the 3, or Jackson or Polley.

The best fit for Jackson is at the 3, with Bouk and Gaff, Martin 4, Whaley or Sanogo 5, in a lineup that should press a bit and look to run. If we want to get Jackson going, we need to press and run more. It's a lineup I think we may see against NC State.

Reaction Score
I don't really care to criticize a bunch of kids in their late teens and early 20s. I've worked with my share of new hires and interns. They are generally a bit clueless. So I need to remind myself that our players are the same age as the interns at work. Thus need to be given some slack.

That said, I'm a bit down on Polley. He has the injury excuse. So there's that. He's really just getting back to playing. But I'm not really sure I see lots of improvement in his game. It seems like he's essentially doing the same thing he did late in his Freshman year and Sophomore year. Sorta waiting around for someone to find him open in the corner. He's a big dude who doesn't give us much of anything down low. He also doesn't do a super job getting open off screens. He may of even done a better job getting open as a sophomore. Or he could hit his shot running at faster speeds and required less time to get his feet set. He shoots a solid percentage from 3, but that's all he really does. And I dont think he can get himself open on his own. I wonder who he thinks he is a player. Who he'd like to become? A stretch 4? Because he's not really that despite his height. At the risk of being critical of a young kid who's done more with his life than I had at his age.... I'm not sure he's put in the work to improve his game.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Patience?! People talkin' bout Patience. The kid will be fine. If teams continue to zone us I think AJ might find some time as a baseline runner. His leaping ability might open up the middle. I think it's worth a try.

C

Chief00

Chief really likes Jackson and while he needs seasoning (mostly his shot) - his upside is sky high. Chief doesn’t believe in pandering but you don’t want to have this guy transfer due to PT. He can be that special.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@Chief00, I'm surprised this comment came from you. I don't think think you would ever say that about a Calhoun recruit. DH is not JC but he is the head coach and most on here would agree that he has done a good job so far. So, let him coach and don't worry about a freshman transferring after the third game.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
but he's not right now. polley shooting 25% from 3 and martin is at 33%. polley shooting 33% overall compared to 54% for martin.
well, keep in mind the small sample sizes here, i mean martin's percentage is based on 3 shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom