Jackson?! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Jackson?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You literally said you were talking about who's a better shooter right now
i'm telling you that's not how it was meant and it's completely outside the context of the debate. right now martin is the better shooter against a zone IN AN ACTUAL GAME. why would anyone care about who the better shooter is in a standstill 3 point competition in practice?? i apologize for not spelling it out

Reaction Score
i'm telling you that's not how it was meant and it's completely outside the context of the debate. right now martin is the better shooter against a zone IN AN ACTUAL GAME. why would anyone care about who the better shooter is in a standstill 3 point competition in practice?? i apologize for not spelling it out
It's too hard to keep up with the moving goal posts so I'll just say Polley is the better shooter in games right now and move on with my night

Reaction Score
It's too hard to keep up with the moving goal posts so I'll just say Polley is the better shooter in games right now and move on with my night
reading is hard sometimes i get it. if you think polley is the better shooter right now in an actual game even tho he has one working leg and is shooting 25% from 3 then agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My recollection is that he played that way for one, maybe two games before the injury. Polley isn’t worthy to carry Griffey’s jock as an all around player. Rebounding, passing, defense, Griffey was vastly better player his senior year.

yeah I get that but I typically don’t factor in rebounding, passing and defense as components of shooting ability.

Reaction Score
My recollection is that he played that way for one, maybe two games before the injury. Polley isn’t worthy to carry Griffey’s jock as an all around player. Rebounding, passing, defense, Griffey was vastly better player his senior year.

Bad take on a kid recovering from an injury. Especially a kid who was making big time strides prior to that injury.

Reaction Score
I don't really care to criticize a bunch of kids in their late teens and early 20s. I've worked with my share of new hires and interns. They are generally a bit clueless. So I need to remind myself that our players are the same age as the interns at work. Thus need to be given some slack.

That said, I'm a bit down on Polley. He has the injury excuse. So there's that. He's really just getting back to playing. But I'm not really sure I see lots of improvement in his game. It seems like he's essentially doing the same thing he did late in his Freshman year and Sophomore year. Sorta waiting around for someone to find him open in the corner. He's a big dude who doesn't give us much of anything down low. He also doesn't do a super job getting open off screens. He may of even done a better job getting open as a sophomore. Or he could hit his shot running at faster speeds and required less time to get his feet set. He shoots a solid percentage from 3, but that's all he really does. And I dont think he can get himself open on his own. I wonder who he thinks he is a player. Who he'd like to become? A stretch 4? Because he's not really that despite his height. At the risk of being critical of a young kid who's done more with his life than I had at his age.... I'm not sure he's put in the work to improve his game.
Polley to this old eye is simply not in a physical condition to play ACL is a very serious injury.
He committed 4 fouls in 4 minutes that’s an achievement even for the best foul machines we’ve had in our history . He has never shown that tendency in the past .
Even against Hartford he committed a stupid foul in the back court and looked gassed .when he was immediately pulled.
We are in desperate need of quality shooters or Bouknight will get pounded every game so Coach is giving him a lot of opportunities, so his failure is even more. significant. He is also passing on three putting the on The floor and pulling up for a two.That’s fine but better if you knock down 2-3 transition threes first.
Larrier who was more talented than Polley , also had much more time to rehab , and didn’t have to contend with the crazy practice schedule this year was n still was a shell of himself the following year. If you saw any of his G league games he didn’t look like the player we saw here but that was two -three years later.. In retrospect Tyler probably should have transferred to a team that would let him sit a year in hopes of him coming back as a post grad. I think he is still only 20 years old . I also understand that wasn’t UConn. Right know the best we could hope for his him being ready for some quality minutes in March. Keep working hard an other chances will come.

Reaction Score
I agree - most players take a full season to rehab and come back. He probably should have sat this year. That is the concern I have for Akok, hope not rushing him back

Reaction Score
When he’s in our guys have to know where he is at all times. He’s that good of a shooter.

Can’t remember if it was first or second half but there were 2 straight possessions where Martin caught the ball in the middle of the zone and had Polley WIDE open on the weak side for an open 3. Have to find him.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Your post should really have just stopped after "he has the injury excuse". He's 11 months removed from tearing his ACL

Seriously! The guy has rehabbed his butt off during a pandemic to return earlier than expected, he's barely practiced, and we've played 2 basically preseason games, and some dopey fan has the nerve to say he's down on him? My word...I really really hope the players don't see this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Polley is exactly where many feared he would be the week he tore the ACl last winter. With enough time for the knee to be healed and to obtain medical clearance to play this year, but also with the knowledge that a lot of players don't trust the knee for a while after they're back on the court and aren't the player they were when they got hurt. That's where he appears to be. The doctors are telling him the knee is o.k., but he doesn't have the confidence to move the way he used to.

If he can regain trust in it and then his confidence, he will be a useful piece this year. If not, when Akok comes back he's likely to drop out of the rotation entirely.

But after watching Larrier struggle to recover, I'm really tired of fans feeling the need to bash a young man because he has a perfectly normal reaction to blowing a knee out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's feel fortunate that a single player's setback doesn't impact the team nearly as much as it has in previous years. Hurley & staff finally have had enough time to build a team with enough serviceable depth that this shouldn't happen anymore.

The competition on the team from 1-11 is also bringing out the best in others who were automatically given the keys in previous years (Josh Carlton).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s really too soon to say come one way or another. Keep in mind though set a lot of people want Tyler to be the player he was the last game he played. He played lots of others where he was less productive.

Reaction Score
The criticism should not be of Polley but of his use.
We do not need him to be anything but the knock-down 3pt shooter we've missed for far too many years.
Whether it is he or Hurley looking to expand his game I do not know but I do know what we do need and it's not a senior on a deep team looking to improve his handle.
The comeback from an ACL reconstruct, I can personally attest, is a mind game recovery at first and I am sympathetic. The confidence will eventually come back.
I just hope it's as the shooter and secondary scorer this team desperately needs.

Reaction Score
Let’s remember we’ve played three teams who are too much of cowards to play man on man defense.

Really limits polley’s (and bouks) ability to run off ball screens.

We’ll get there guys.

Reaction Score
You guys continue to amaze me. Prisoner of the moment stuff. His first game was good. Not great, Not fine, Not bad but just solid and good. He went 14 and 7 with a steal block and an assist if you forgot. His last two games, weren't good, obviously. But foul trouble has totally ruined his flow and with great depth this year, Hurley isn't going to force guys out there who are out of flow or in foul trouble. His foul trouble typically is from overaggressiveness. He is playing guys too far out on the perimeter and getting beat, he picked up a charge on trying to take the ball aggressively to the rim off of a rebound, etc. But when you combine all the factors of being in foul trouble and playing limited minutes because of said foul trouble and not having a proper off season, and 14 days off for COVID and coming off an ACL, you all need to just be patient. It's a bit absurd how much you guys only value results and can't see the bigger picture. He will be fine. We need him. He is our best 3 point threat. Chill out.

Reaction Score
Some good points here but something g else can be said that relates to Polley, Adams, Jackson or anyone that isn’t starting is that in a short 40 minute game, every player on the roster is not going to play well or even make an impact. We have a lot of guys that are expecting to play and it just doesn’t work like that. Being deep is great for protections against injuries and for making practices more competitive but the most successful teams play about 8 guys. And bench players are going to be anxious when they get in the game knowing that if they don’t do something good, they may not return.

Reaction Score
Polley to this old eye is simply not in a physical condition to play ACL is a very serious injury.
He committed 4 fouls in 4 minutes that’s an achievement even for the best foul machines we’ve had in our history . He has never shown that tendency in the past .
Even against Hartford he committed a stupid foul in the back court and looked gassed .when he was immediately pulled.
We are in desperate need of quality shooters or Bouknight will get pounded every game so Coach is giving him a lot of opportunities, so his failure is even more. significant. He is also passing on three putting the on The floor and pulling up for a two.That’s fine but better if you knock down 2-3 transition threes first.
Larrier who was more talented than Polley , also had much more time to rehab , and didn’t have to contend with the crazy practice schedule this year was n still was a shell of himself the following year. If you saw any of his G league games he didn’t look like the player we saw here but that was two -three years later.. In retrospect Tyler probably should have transferred to a team that would let him sit a year in hopes of him coming back as a post grad. I think he is still only 20 years old . I also understand that wasn’t UConn. Right know the best we could hope for his him being ready for some quality minutes in March. Keep working hard an other chances will come.
Good point. We definitely need shooting.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Yes yes you disagree with something so let’s delete it from your life.

Polley‘s game hasn’t changed one bit. He was always slow on defense and very dependent on his spot up 3-pt shooting. When neither of that goes well he can’t rely on good rebounding to keep him in games. It is what it is.
It's not about me. It's about young kids who are giving their bodies for a game getting hammered on a social media platform after 2 games back from a serious injury. Its just wrong. Give the kid a break.

Reaction Score
reading is hard sometimes i get it. if you think polley is the better shooter right now in an actual game even tho he has one working leg and is shooting 25% from 3 then agree to disagree.
So basically with your approach if one of Polley’s misses from 3 had been a make then he would be the better 3 point shooter right now?

That seems thoughtful.

Reaction Score
So basically with your approach if one of Polley’s misses from 3 had been a make then he would be the better 3 point shooter right now?
but he didnt, did he? i dont need the stats to justify it, even tho they do for the time being. polley was not going to be effective against the USC zone on one leg and he probably wont be any time soon. if you think otherwise agree to disagree. im done arguing against a wall about this

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He is too raw to play the 3 this year. That’s where he needs to end up but he doesn’t have the permiter skill set yet. He will get there but this year he needs to play the 4. I got killed in other thread for saying it but I don’t see how he’s any better than sid Wilson until he fixes up his shooting .... just an elite athlete for now
Agree w/ everything minus Wilson. AJ from a pure evaluation standpoint checks a greater number of basketball physical and skillset boxes. Loved Sid But playing the 4 at 180 at this level as a non-stretch is tough for anyone. Sid's length, quickness and bounce are all fantastic. AJ has this in spades, is bigger, more explosive and already a playmaker, or has shown the ability to be a playmaker.

Reaction Score
but he didnt, did he? i dont need the stats to justify it, even tho they do for the time being. polley was not going to be effective against the USC zone on one leg and he probably wont be any time soon. if you think otherwise agree to disagree. im done arguing against a wall about this
Nope he didn’t, so I guess he’s not the better 3 pt shooter right now. Too bad Martin didn‘t make one more, if he did we could have a guy on the team who is a better 3 pt shooter than Steph Curry right now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You guys continue to amaze me. Prisoner of the moment stuff.
Exactly, that was the phrase I was looking for. Last week Carlton was getting the treatment. Now it's Polley's turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom