J.B. Grimes has Resigned | Page 4 | The Boneyard

J.B. Grimes has Resigned

Reaction Score
First thing I thought when I read Grimes resigned. Dunn has experience coaching the OL, and the door opened to bring in Dan O as the QB coach. I’m not opposed to it and it makes sense right now. There’s no better salesman, on social media and in recruiting, for this program then Dan O.
NOT HAPPENING!!!

Reaction Score
What does it say that the two best coaches this cycle were hired by the AD? Is that something or nothing?

It says that Benedict was the associate AD at Auburn and he had a relationship with
both of them. Lashlee reached out to Grimes and the rest is history. I doubt if Grimes would have come here without Lashlee and don't think he was too keen about remaining at Storrs without him being here.

Reaction Score
Dunn was a walk-on QB and has 13 years coaching experience. Wouldn't he be better suited to be QB coach? Why does there seem an overwhelming desire to fit a round peg in a square hole for the sake of making Orlovsky QB coach? If anything, he should be eased in as Offensive Control Grad Assistant or something.
Dunn walked on at UNC as a QB, his career ended as a TE. He’s coached both positions along the way.

“At LSU, Dunn helped coach the offensive line and quarterbacks and ran meetings with those position groups.”

Be realistic. This program has no money. They have to get creative with their hires and if that means bringing in one of HCRE’s own. Then do it now. Dan O doesn’t need big money and it seems he’s open to coaching at UCONN if asked.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes I just looked myself.. posted quite frequently. Every couple days..sometimes twice a day.. silence since 12-19-17.. now I’m getting worried.. what the heck is going on??

He responded to a fan’s question beginning of January and was on WTIC Tuesday morning w/ Dunaway.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Dunn walked on at UNC as a QB, his career ended as a TE. He’s coached both positions along the way.

“At LSU, Dunn helped coach the offensive line and quarterbacks and ran meetings with those position groups.”
I'm not advocating against Dan O being on the staff in some fashion, but aside from 6 or so weeks last summer, what has he coached?

Reaction Score
Yes I just looked myself.. posted quite frequently. Every couple days..sometimes twice a day.. silence since 12-19-17.. now I’m getting worried.. what the heck is going on??

UCONN raised DB's base in Dec. $100k to $550k with 50k bonus potential. However Auburn's AD, Jay Jacobs made over $1,000,000 the last 3 years. He's retiring at $540k for the rest of his life. Auburn may give Benedict an offer he can't refuse.

"Earlier this week, I informed President Leath that I will step down as Director of Athletics on June 1, 2018, or sooner if my successor is in place," Jacobs wrote in the letter. "I have come to this decision after a lot of prayer, deliberative discussions with my wife, Angie, and with the realization that it is time for a new leader of an incredible Department."

Jacobs' move, which will be effective June 1, 2018, comes after a succession of scandals hit Auburn Athletics over the course of the year, including allegations against two winning softball coaches accused of inappropriate sexual conduct and the arrest of an Auburn basketball legend turned coach accused of bribery and corruption.

If a successor is chosen earlier, Jacobs said he will step down then.

Report: Auburn AD Jacobs to make $540K A YEAR in retirement

Reaction Score
My god, stop applying your mind-numbing stupid narrative with no evidence. You’re completely delusional. Please seek help.
Use some common sense. It really helps when your mind in numb. People leave for a few reasons - more money, better opportunity, or dissatisfaction. Few people randomly walk out for lateral move one year after moving a 1,000 miles and buying a house. All UConn had to do is put more $$ in front of his face and a chance to be successful. Same goes with Grimes.

Reaction Score
I'm not advocating against Dan O being on the staff in some fashion, but aside from 6 or so weeks last summer, what has he coached?
It's working great for our basketball team. :rolleyes:

Dan O may be a great coach. If he wants to be a coach he probably deserves his shot. But if Edsall hires a QB coach not named Dan O, I'm not going to be upset. Edsall knows him well enough to decide if he'd be a good hire or not.

Reaction Score
I call BS. Better recruiting skills... unf'ing believable. This is all about Randy pushing out the two best coaches the program has seen in ages. He keeps his dolt DC from Nova who wouldn't know what an SEC level program looked unless he turned on his TV and who stunk up the joint to historic levels. He drives out two SEC quality coaches actually making a positive impact. Just friggin UConn to a tee. If there is a bad decision to be made with no instinct for the future, we'll make it. They should have canned Betty Crocker, upped Lashlee's pay and kept grimes happy, and AD Dave should have been in Randy's office telling him to keep his damn paws off the Offense or he can walk. PS - I guarantee the next shoe to drop is Benedict. We are a half-assed, backwards moving program with no leadership from above. You've got KO crashing and burning. The whole thing is a giant shnitpile and Herbst better start taking a look at what's unfolding around her. It's not pretty.

GD, I'm so sick of this crap. The bad decisions. The short sightedness. The egos. The pennywise pound foolishness. I'm really starting to believe UConn is precisely where it wants to be. Just about had it.

Bye.

Reaction Score
Use some common sense. It really helps when your mind in numb. People leave for a few reasons - more money, better opportunity, or dissatisfaction. Few people randomly walk out for lateral move one year after moving a 1,000 miles and buying a house. All UConn had to do is put more $$ in front of his face and a chance to be successful. Same goes with Grimes.

Is it really a surprise that Grimes (who spent his whole 30 year coaching life below the Mason/Dixon line (except arguably the back to back years @ Cincy and UConn ) - went back to an SEC school where he spent 3 years?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The problem with the football team is the roster. Not dysfunction in the program.

That takes time to fix.

Assistants move on constantly for a ton of reasons. They are really temps and that informs their career decisions.

This is only an issue so far as the inherent risk of a new hire.

There are 50 (500?) legit issues to point at in the AD. This is nothing.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
this is my take as well. I'd love to have him on as a GA and let him work his way up, or even be a back office guy working on scouting/film. I think he can provide a ton of value for us. But you don't just give guys coaching jobs because they played at a school. Nobody is clamoring Marcus Easley to be the WR's coach for example.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
this is my take as well. I'd love to have him on as a GA and let him work his way up, or even be a back office guy working on scouting/film. I think he can provide a ton of value for us. But you don't just give guys coaching jobs because they played at a school. Nobody is clamoring Marcus Easley to be the WR's coach for example.

Watch and read Orlovsky. He posts videos on Twitter and writes for The Athletic.

The guy is clearly ready to be a QB coach.

He could also step in on any broadcast network in the country.

The guy played 13 years in the NFL as a QB. I think he’s ready to skip GA.

Reaction Score
Really? How is it lateral from G5 to P5? Just because it’s the same position? We can’t compete with Auburn in football, from a cost perspective, or on the field.

Reaction Score
UCONN raised DB's base in Dec. $100k to $550k with 50k bonus potential. However Auburn's AD, Jay Jacobs made over $1,000,000 the last 3 years. He's retiring at $540k for the rest of his life. Auburn may give Benedict an offer he can't refuse.

"Earlier this week, I informed President Leath that I will step down as Director of Athletics on June 1, 2018, or sooner if my successor is in place," Jacobs wrote in the letter. "I have come to this decision after a lot of prayer, deliberative discussions with my wife, Angie, and with the realization that it is time for a new leader of an incredible Department."

Jacobs' move, which will be effective June 1, 2018, comes after a succession of scandals hit Auburn Athletics over the course of the year, including allegations against two winning softball coaches accused of inappropriate sexual conduct and the arrest of an Auburn basketball legend turned coach accused of bribery and corruption.

If a successor is chosen earlier, Jacobs said he will step down then.

Report: Auburn AD Jacobs to make $540K A YEAR in retirement

Just read that DB was out of the running because of his newly restructured contract.
So he's probably staying but I've seen those things change too.

Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock is not seeking the position and UConn athletic director David Benedict, who restructured his contract earlier this week, is also out of the mix, according to multiple sources.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom