J.B. Grimes has Resigned | Page 3 | The Boneyard

J.B. Grimes has Resigned

Reaction Score
Foley is just a Dream but man it would be great to have him back.

Dissapointed to hear grimes was uninterested in recruiting. We are not the type of program who can afford to have an assistant not get involved in recruiting.
Why is Foley a dream? Where is he now?

Reaction Score
New OC philosophy not meshing?

Grimes is old enough to not have to work for anyone he doesn't want to work alongside.

Dibs on first "Bring Back Foley" post.
Saw a Foley post yesterday. ;^)
Thought he did a good job for us, but if his heart isn’t in it, better to be somewhere else.

Reaction Score
Damn this program just can't get a break. I'm flashing back to RE 1. Stubborn, autocratic, and disinterested in doing anything but what RE wants. It's pretty darn clear RE drove these guys out. Kept the worst DC in America but managed to drive out the two most high impact coaches. Frankly, I'm not interested in riding anyone's train or trusting anybody anymore. Shut up and put up or get the hell out. Sick of this garbage.
Well he built the program up before with the same characteristics you mentioned. He’s bringing in pretty good looking freshman (of course they need to be developed) but I don’t mind his style at all. Nick Saban seems like the same alpha type and he wins. Maybe there’s something to having one unified message and all the underlings need to fall in line. It eliminates confusion and or agendas by coaches who may want to take over your spot. If you can’t fall in line soldier then you must hit the road.

Reaction Score
Well he built the program up before with the same characteristics you mentioned. He’s bringing in pretty good looking freshman (of course they need to be developed) but I don’t mind his style at all. Nick Saban seems like the same alpha type and he wins. Maybe there’s something to having one unified message and all the underlings need to fall in line. It eliminates confusion and or agendas by coaches who may want to take over your spot. If you can’t fall in line soldier then you must hit the road.
Putting Randy Edsell and Nick Saban in the same sentence is like Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter,please

Reaction Score
Putting Randy Edsell and Nick Saban in the same sentence is like Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter,please

I am not going to say that Nick Saban could not thrive at UConn as HC. But ... being successful in Storrs is a unique construct. One that I doubt a lot of SEC guys could manage or thrive at. There's this underlying theme amongst some on the Boneyard that we CAN attract 4/5 stars of something. Maybe at the rate that we could in CBB - which frankly was not as often as the BY CBB mad thinkers think. To do well in New England, you have to have evaluative talent far beyond average. You could not put Chad Morris in UConn and expect longterm success; and YES, I always think they want to escape. So a chastened Pennsylvania guy with Central NY years has a better feel. A MAC coach would do better than a Sun Belt, CUSA or SEC guy. Just my opinion.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nope! Don't worry - Edsall's best rep is with hiring the right people. He's far more right than wrong when hiring coaches.
What does it say that the two best coaches this cycle were hired by the AD? Is that something or nothing?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What does it say that the two best coaches this cycle were hired by the AD? Is that something or nothing?
Too early to judge. Maybe - maybe not.

Reaction Score
UMass
And, the possibility of Foley departing would apparently make all 3 umess fans happy.

As for the universe is ending squawks, media confirmation of Grimes returning to Auburn and likely bigger bucks blasts a bombastic blast in unsubstantiated rumors. The guy tagged along with Lashlee, helps improve the OL, Lashlee's wife squawks, Lashlee departs, Auburn OL heads to Texas, Malzahn offers Grimes more bucks and an SEC return, no brainer. New OC Dunn (OCJD?) and HCRE hire new guy. Onward and upward ... Go UConn!

Last edited:

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

It just says that they had little interest in and loyalty to UConn and Coach Edsall. It's not like Lashlee is heading to be the OC at Bama...he did a decent job here and took off. I don't think that has to do with him being an incredible talent or anything

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
It just says that they had little interest in and loyalty to UConn and Coach Edsall. It's not like Lashlee is heading to be the OC at Bama...he did a decent job here and took off. I don't think that has to do with him being an incredible talent or anything

Very few assistant coaches have loyalty- they are on one year contracts for the most part and are the vagabonds of the sporting world.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Damn this program just can't get a break. I'm flashing back to RE 1. Stubborn, autocratic, and disinterested in doing anything but what RE wants. It's pretty darn clear RE drove these guys out. Kept the worst DC in America but managed to drive out the two most high impact coaches. Frankly, I'm not interested in riding anyone's train or trusting anybody anymore. Shut up and put up or get the hell out. Sick of this garbage.

My god, stop applying your mind-numbing stupid narrative with no evidence. You’re completely delusional. Please seek help.

Reaction Score
Dang, wonder if I should be worried for my brother Noel because he really liked what Grimes brought to the table....
We had a monster offensive line here when Edsall was coach the first time around. We were a run first team. Draft picks should be evidence of his ability to develop a run game.

Reaction Score

Grimes just almost doubled his money, will be coaching 4 & 5 stars in his culture, climate, etc. and gets to coach in the Iron Bowl against Alabama in front 100,000 fans in the SEC. Not to mention lower property and income taxes !

You believe that Grimes leaving is because of Randy's people skills? Now that's pretty funny!

J.B. Grimes returns as Auburn's offensive line coach

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have Dunn be OC/OL coach and bring in Dan O to be the QB coach
First thing I thought when I read Grimes resigned. Dunn has experience coaching the OL, and the door opened to bring in Dan O as the QB coach. I’m not opposed to it and it makes sense right now. There’s no better salesman, on social media and in recruiting, for this program then Dan O.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony story updated:

>>While Grimes is well respected as an experienced football man and technical coach, he is said to be less engaged on the recruiting trail. UConn is likely to target an offensive line coach with better recruiting skills.<<

I call BS. Better recruiting skills... unf'ing believable. This is all about Randy pushing out the two best coaches the program has seen in ages. He keeps his dolt DC from Nova who wouldn't know what an SEC level program looked unless he turned on his TV and who stunk up the joint to historic levels. He drives out two SEC quality coaches actually making a positive impact. Just friggin UConn to a tee. If there is a bad decision to be made with no instinct for the future, we'll make it. They should have canned Betty Crocker, upped Lashlee's pay and kept grimes happy, and AD Dave should have been in Randy's office telling him to keep his damn paws off the Offense or he can walk. PS - I guarantee the next shoe to drop is Benedict. We are a half-assed, backwards moving program with no leadership from above. You've got KO crashing and burning. The whole thing is a giant shnitpile and Herbst better start taking a look at what's unfolding around her. It's not pretty.

GD, I'm so sick of this crap. The bad decisions. The short sightedness. The egos. The pennywise pound foolishness. I'm really starting to believe UConn is precisely where it wants to be. Just about had it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
First thing I thought when I read Grimes resigned. Dunn has experience coaching the OL, and the door opened to bring in Dan O as the QB coach. I’m not opposed to it and it makes sense right now. There’s no better salesman, on social media and in recruiting, for this program then Dan O.
Dunn was a walk-on QB and has 13 years coaching experience. Wouldn't he be better suited to be QB coach? Why does there seem an overwhelming desire to fit a round peg in a square hole for the sake of making Orlovsky QB coach? If anything, he should be eased in as Offensive Control Grad Assistant or something.

Reaction Score
Is Dave Benedict, next???
Better believe it. Why stick around this self imposed schnit show. No leadership. No commitment. Petty Power squabbles. Constant turnover, A fan base collapsing. A favorite son HC with not accountability destroying a national basketball power legacy. .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom