J.B. Grimes has Resigned

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We'll miss you, Grimey.

latest

stealing

Reaction Score
Dang, wonder if I should be worried for my brother Noel because he really liked what Grimes brought to the table....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nope! Don't worry - Edsall's best rep is with hiring the right people. He's far more right than wrong when hiring coaches.
Is that why he was such a success in Maryland?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony story updated:

>>While Grimes is well respected as an experienced football man and technical coach, he is said to be less engaged on the recruiting trail. UConn is likely to target an offensive line coach with better recruiting skills.<<

This comment is no surprise. Seems natural for older coaches to lean on the younger staff to reel them in. At Auburn, they will do the recruiting for him.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
B10 is a tough environment. Almost impossible to compete against OSU, Michigan, MSU and Penn State. You need QB luck to overcome that murders row and he didn't have any luck what so ever with his QBs.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Sucks to lose him but if it's true he wasn't big on the recruiting trail this shouldn't hurt too much in terms of keeping commits, recruits, and current players. Hopefully RE has someone in mind for OL and I'd imagine he knows how important,and weak, that position is. I trust he'll find someone better.

This shows two things to me. RL and Grimes we're not here long term and never intended to be. I think RE is looking for some continuity on staff so he'll look for someone similar to Dunn in terms of them not being one and done type coaches. Secondly, he's looking for coaches who will give their all in recruiting. I think he knows how weak this team was when he came in and that recruiting is the most important aspect at this junction.

All we can do is hope he makes a good hire because Grimes did a heck of a job with the OL. Gotta hope we keep that forward momentum.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

It's not like Maryland has exactly set the world on fire since he left either. Entering into the B1G has not been friendly for any program that has tried to make that jump. Not to say Randy didn't make missteps, but it was doomed to fail.

Reaction Score
This actually pisses me off. Rhett left at least during the dead period allowing us to try and get someone in place to hit the trail on the 12th. The fact that grimes has been nowhere to be found on the trail and then leaves a week into live crooting makes me real mad. I am praying Edsall finds another good recruiter no matter what position he actually coaches. I'd rather have both edsalls coach the offensive lines if it means we have multiple secondary coaches.

Reaction Score
B10 is a tough environment. Almost impossible to compete against OSU, Michigan, MSU and Penn State. You need QB luck to overcome that murders row and he didn't have any luck what so ever with his QBs.

Qb was the biggest issue. Injury after injury at that position. When I went to see MD play BC they were starting a converted LB at QB because of all the injuries.

Reaction Score
Foley is just a Dream but man it would be great to have him back.

Dissapointed to hear grimes was uninterested in recruiting. We are not the type of program who can afford to have an assistant not get involved in recruiting.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
When Benedict hired RE back, he wanted his thumbprint on the program and brought in Lashlee and Grimes. RE placated the request. Both went back to the south after 1 year. Grimes was gone as soon as Hand left for Texas. The connection to Auburn is too strong. Lashlee was short term - in reality - both coaches left a foundation to build on. Hiring a good OL coach is not that difficult- if RE brings young and hungry assistants that works better for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom