Ive never seen the board this down [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Ive never seen the board this down [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Have we spend too much time on getting the right bouquet (of flowers/roses) instead of cultivating fruits and vegetables?
Interesting way of putting it, but you may be right. On paper, just based on their high school recruiting rankings, our starting lineup should be a juggernaut by now.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Interesting way of putting it, but you may be right. On paper, just based on their high school recruiting rankings, our starting lineup should be a juggernaut by now.

and the delta in the expectations to the reality is why this thread exists.

Reaction Score
Frustration is tied to expectations. I also view UConn being a 5-10 ranked team so have not jumped off any tall buildings. I remain concerned at the lack of overall team recruiting. We have gone several years with thin recruiting classes and after Paige, forecast it will be 2+ years before this coming class will be a full speed. Since per Geno we don't have the talent of past teams, also continue to wonder why we run the same system as the past 10+ years. Not working against top teams. I continue to arrange my week to watch every UConn game and am thankful for the team, coach, etc. but will smile more when we get back to top 4 status.

Reaction Score
For me the downer is thinking maybe some of our number 1 recruits, who we drool over when they commit, just aren't playing like it, and maybe they can't. We keep hearing the lines about they are only freshmen, freshman hit a wall, the sophomore jump, etc. Seems like other teams somehow have freshmen playing fine, like 3 for SC last night, how come they don't have to wait for a sophomore bump? Boston had a double double in her first game, not sure against who. Hailey Jones steps in and she was doing well until the knee. The team just doesn't seem to have the passion and energy of the past, except for Crystal, and she is gone next year. For us to rise again next year I think we are going to need a lot of help from the freshmen. Can Page replace Crystal, a freshman but supposedly a once every 10 years one. She is also about 5 inches taller, and height seems to have been an issue for Crystal. But for the other spots I don't think we can count on everyone growing up by next year. I think we have Page at point, with Muhl at backup. Evina at the two with Williams as backup, and hope Evina is as good as the number 2 person in a class is supposed to be. We Likely need Edwards at the 4, another freshman, with maybe Griffin and Mir as backups. Griffin seems very athletic but she just can't seem to hit free throws, 3 pointers, layups in traffic. Hopefully Meg can get confident and play the 3, with Anna as her backup, or maybe they each get about 20 minutes. Liv at the 5, with a summer spent lifting weights, shooting free throws, 10 and 12 footers, and hope our 6-5 newbie can give us 5 to 8 minutes a game of at least holding the fort even though she is supposedly quite raw. And I don't see that lineup competing with SC next year. Dawn has too much talent on the bench to replace the two seniors. And she may pick up another grad transfer. But maybe with the backups we can press more and that makes a difference.
I'm expecting Paige to instill some energy and attitude that UConn seems to be sorely missing. There's no real animated driving force to this team. A little cockiness would surely go a long way and this team has none of that. The fact that next year there will be more bodies to fall back on and the bench should be appreciably stronger is a good start. She's so gifted that she's going to be a dilemna for opposing defenses with her ability to distribute and to score, her size and her court vision.

Reaction Score
Christyn Williams and Meg Walker were also supposed to be "elite" players. Most of those South Carolina players aren't going anywhere for a long time.
If Christyn and Meg were making shots and the team wasn't playing so sloppily against South Carolina, particularly early in the game, it could have been a much different outcome. At the very least, it would have not looked so terribly ugly. South Carolina was playing poorly too and giving the Huskies an opportunity to put them on their heels but brick after brick after brick allowed South Carolina to eventually build a substantial lead, even while playing mediocrely, at best. Eventually, that comfort level helped them to start playing a lot better and building an even bigger lead. UConn could have had a nice lead at the end of the first quarter instead of a 10 point or so deficit if they just shot the ball DECENTLY, not great, just decently. As we all know, that didn't happen. The pressure of a big game has seemed to DOOM the Huskies into playing tight and not making shots. No confidence in their abilities in those big games.

Reaction Score
Frustration is tied to expectations. I also view UConn being a 5-10 ranked team so have not jumped off any tall buildings. I remain concerned at the lack of overall team recruiting. We have gone several years with thin recruiting classes and after Paige, forecast it will be 2+ years before this coming class will be a full speed. Since per Geno we don't have the talent of past teams, also continue to wonder why we run the same system as the past 10+ years. Not working against top teams. I continue to arrange my week to watch every UConn game and am thankful for the team, coach, etc. but will smile more when we get back to top 4 status.
Geno had less than elite players in the late 80's and early 90's but they were playing hard and smart and with confidence and they had pretty darn good success, even in the NCAA tournaments. This team has often played with little or no confidence and often strayed from basic fundamentals. That is not a winning formula and I think the next couple of recruiting classes have some players that reek of confidence and passion and a willingness to take charge on the court, things that this team seems to be sorely lacking. These kids are good kids, obviously and have some talent but I'm amazed how pathetically they've performed in the big games. I can't see any reason that you tend to fall apart and play so poorly, even if your opponent is more talented. They haven't even given themselves an opportunity, playing so badly in the early going that they've almost lost before some people have gotten to their seats. You can't do that at any time, particularly if you're playing a talented team. It's not so much a lack of talent as it is lacking the ability to force your will on your opponent. If you have no confidence, you're in some serious trouble. I think it's getting to the point where other really good teams are only going to have to wait for UConn to shoot themselves in the foot and take themselves out of games. The Kia Nurse's, the Maya Moore's, Caroline Doty's, Kelly Faris and others were tough minded kids who had grit and confidence and brought passion to their teams. Obviously there were others and yet this team seemed totally intimidated in their three losses.

Reaction Score
UConn is not a bad team, they are good. Baylor, Oregon and SC are great. The disparity between them and the abysmal competition in the AAC (coupled with past successes of former UConn GREAT teams) has lead to unrealistic expectations this year.

Do not be surprised if USF gives us a very tough game.

Reaction Score
It looks like lots of the BY faithful have thrown in the towel for this year. Me, I think the fun is just beginning. The team will make the NCAA tournament and then will only have to win 6 games. Don't know how far they're go but lets enjoy this team while we can and not think about next year.
I really do hope this team rallies and starts playing tougher against tougher competition once the NCAA tournament starts. It's one thing to lose but to not give yourself a chance to win is what is disheartening. Hopefully, sometime between now and the tournament, these kids (really nice, talented kids) start playing with confidence and toughness and even if (or when) they eventually lose, lose because the other team beat you, not because you beat yourself. That would be something to take into next year for everyone outside of the seniors. I can't believe anyone on this team felt good about their team performance against Baylor, Oregon or South Carolina. Remember, I said the team performance, though we had a couple of good individual performances in those games. Everyone knows this team isn't of the same caliber as those recent UConn teams but that doesn't mean that they can't play tough and smart and confidentally.

Reaction Score
Remember: Evina Westbrook will be also eligible to play next year and bring a lot of experience to the Team. With the new recruits and a core group of players remaining, it seems that next year's team will be more competitive giving the ones who defeated UConn this year a run for their money next year.
Remember that Evina, if she makes starting lineup, would be replacing Crystal and I am not sure that’s an upgrade.

Reaction Score
I really do hope this team rallies and starts playing tougher against tougher competition once the NCAA tournament starts. It's one thing to lose but to not give yourself a chance to win is what is disheartening. Hopefully, sometime between now and the tournament, these kids (really nice, talented kids) start playing with confidence and toughness and even if (or when) they eventually lose, lose because the other team beat you, not because you beat yourself. That would be something to take into next year for everyone outside of the seniors. I can't believe anyone on this team felt good about their team performance against Baylor, Oregon or South Carolina. Remember, I said the team performance, though we had a couple of good individual performances in those games. Everyone knows this team isn't of the same caliber as those recent UConn teams but that doesn't mean that they can't play tough and smart and confidentally.
I'm a diehard fan but I have seen no evidence that we can improve enough this year to be able to defeat any combination of Oregon, Baylor and Carolina in consecutive games. I'll consider changing my opinion if we dominate all the AAC games, but I fear we will have more trouble than a champion should against weak competition.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I'm half pleased, half frustrated with the year thus far.

Granted that we are spoiled by incredible history and therefore perhaps unrealistic expectations but good grief, 20 - 3 is a record most teams would die for, and all our losses are to teams we widely concede are better than the Huskies.

What's disheartening to me this year is the inconsistent play. Even some of our wins have not brought me joy.

Somehow, almost everything seems a half step off with this team. Even when Dangerfield is a dagger on the 3's, the drive and off balance scoop shots she routinely made the past three years aren't dropping this year.

There have been too many games where I don't see the drive and passion that I've come to expect.

But I'm still hoping there will be a turn around at the end of the season.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Jonathan's 2 through 13 were white. The first and current Jonathan's were the more typical husky.
The pages on the UConn site that I used to post which has pictures of every Jonathan have been taken down. Kind of Orwellian.

1581618403890.png

Reaction Score
The pages on the UConn site that I used to post which has pictures of every Jonathan have been taken down. Kind of Orwellian.

View attachment 50868

I called up the cached version to see what was still there. The text is there, but they actually deleted the pictures off the server. Most of the times pictures stay in an images folder for a long time after a web page has been deleted.

A little strange.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately several of those recruits with high rankings decided to take their talents elsewhere leaving Geno with fewer options off the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom