Ive never seen the board this down [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ive never seen the board this down [merged thread]

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the weak AAC schedule gives UConn a false sense of how good they are.
I don't agree with this. Maybe it gives the most superficial fans a false sense of confidence. Do you really think the coaching staff and players are fooled? I give them more credit than that.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

1581439366840.png

Reaction Score
For me the downer is thinking maybe some of our number 1 recruits, who we drool over when they commit, just aren't playing like it, and maybe they can't. We keep hearing the lines about they are only freshmen, freshman hit a wall, the sophomore jump, etc. Seems like other teams somehow have freshmen playing fine, like 3 for SC last night, how come they don't have to wait for a sophomore bump? Boston had a double double in her first game, not sure against who. Hailey Jones steps in and she was doing well until the knee. The team just doesn't seem to have the passion and energy of the past, except for Crystal, and she is gone next year. For us to rise again next year I think we are going to need a lot of help from the freshmen. Can Page replace Crystal, a freshman but supposedly a once every 10 years one. She is also about 5 inches taller, and height seems to have been an issue for Crystal. But for the other spots I don't think we can count on everyone growing up by next year. I think we have Page at point, with Muhl at backup. Evina at the two with Williams as backup, and hope Evina is as good as the number 2 person in a class is supposed to be. We Likely need Edwards at the 4, another freshman, with maybe Griffin and Mir as backups. Griffin seems very athletic but she just can't seem to hit free throws, 3 pointers, layups in traffic. Hopefully Meg can get confident and play the 3, with Anna as her backup, or maybe they each get about 20 minutes. Liv at the 5, with a summer spent lifting weights, shooting free throws, 10 and 12 footers, and hope our 6-5 newbie can give us 5 to 8 minutes a game of at least holding the fort even though she is supposedly quite raw. And I don't see that lineup competing with SC next year. Dawn has too much talent on the bench to replace the two seniors. And she may pick up another grad transfer. But maybe with the backups we can press more and that makes a difference.

Reaction Score
We lost. They were a bigger team. We always understood that big teams like Baylor, Oregon and South Carolina would probably best us. I won’t give those games another thought. I’m looking forward to watching my favorite team play USF on Sunday, win or lose.

Reaction Score
Two quotes ( probably inexact...but you get the point)...
Kelly Faris quoting Geno in March 2013 in the locker roommoments after UConn had just absorbed their 7th loss in 8 games to Notre Dame : “When we get home I’m gonna show you how to win a National Championship.”
And, of course, from Yogi Berra : “It ain’t over til it’s over.”

Crazy things can happen.

Reaction Score
Our lack of defense has affected our offense as you have seen in games against top teams we get very,very few turnovers and easy transition points.

Reaction Score
What you are seeing is the result of 2 bad recruiting seasons. Next season is going to look a lot like this one. After that, things will get back to "normal".

What worries me some is that Geno seems more intent to teach the UConn "system" rather than to let the kids play turning them into robots. Everything this UConn teams does seems very methodical.

Reaction Score
Jonathan's 2 through 13 were white. The first and current Jonathan's were the more typical husky.
In any event, the mascot of my other team, Ralphie, could crush Jonathan (We’re looking for Ralphie 8 because 7 loved running onto the field so much her speed continued to the point none of his handlers could...well, handle her. All Ralphies are female, male buffalo are too big. Jonathan’s are male?

Reaction Score
What you are seeing is the result of 2 bad recruiting seasons. Next season is going to look a lot like this one. After that, things will get back to "normal".

What worries me some is that Geno seems more intent to teach the UConn "system" rather than to let the kids play turning them into robots. Everything this UConn teams does seems very methodical.

So glad you posted this...for sure Geno and staff have never considered your analysis.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I've Never seen the Board this Down
We are better then this.

Funny Tony, here I am, known in the past as one of the Kings of pessimism...and I'm not down.

UConn did not lose last night because the opposition was more athletic, bigger, younger :), whatever.

We lost because we stunk up the joint, just as we have in the other big losses (and some of the wins).

The team is underachieving, our #1's are ridiculously underachieving...that means they have the potential to get better, much better.

The season can still be turned around; we can go into the NCAA's and scare a whole bunch of people.
Is it gonna happen?
I surely wouldn't bet my modest pension on it...but it might.

Remember Bria Hartley a few years ago, so depressed by her game, that she took herself out of the starting lineup...and all those losses to ND, wearing on them. And then it turned around and she along with that gifted freshman...what was her name? destroyed ND in the semi's of the dance.

I'm fascinated to anticipate what rabbits Geno can pull out of the hat...Can this totally dysfunctional team play UConn ball? perhaps.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think most of us are down because we have hope that the talent that we believe the players have will all come together on that basketball court. We've seen flashes of brilliance from almost everyone on the team in one game or the other. Knowing how highly recruited some of our players were coming out of high school and the tremendous games they've played in the past (i.e., CW at ND), we as fans build up our hope that each big game we have the stars might align and we will play that incredible game.

Then reality sinks in and we realize, maybe our players aren't as good as we think. This could be true, although I don't believe it at the moment (still holding out). But irregardless, the facts thus far have shown us that our players when playing strong defensive and athletic teams cannot execute on offense consistently. This is because we really only have one true consistent offensive elite shooter and creator, and that's CDangerfield. Can Meg and CW ever get to be that, I think probably CW has more potential than Meg, but her shot is so erratic. Meg is a very good player, but when she plays elite talent she has difficulty making shots (give credit where credit is due) because she to me is more of a spot shooter, and plays with heavy feet. She's also probably playing out of position right now, where if she could be a 2 or a small 3, she may have more success, but she's asked to play bigger for our team right now.

Liv is a tremendous talent, but her inability to play tall in the post, where she brings the ball from her body up to the basket gives defenders easy chance to block or affect the shot. She needs to establish better position down low catch at high point and release at high point while jumping to the basket. She showed she has some moves down low at the moment, but she doesn't have anything elite for the team to hang its hat on when they need a bucket in crunch time.

Because so many of them don't have that elite skillset, they've been passing and passing and passing and ultimately, the give it to CD to create. This is a recipe for disaster as the game against SC has shown us. Everyone needs to move better, cut harder, establish better position and execute better so that we're not relying on someone trying to do something they are not capable or at least not consistently capable of doing.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A few months ago we werent ranked in the top 4. Alot of fans thought we should be. A few weeks later we were ranked number 1. I remember a few years back we played Stanford and beat them pretty good. They came back and beat us a few months later. NObody could believe it. It just goes to show you how quickly things can change.

This team has improved alot since November. We arent where we want to be yet in Big Games especially. Yeah some posts talk about players choking. I prefer to think of us going through growing pains. Hey weve come a long way and we will continue to get better. SC has some freshman who have really taken off and good for them. SC also graduates Ty Harris this season and to replace her will be tuff. You know I read alot of posts about teams with height. Tenn has more height then any team and they need a really good point guard imo to get them winning again. As good as SC was last nite and I wish them luck at some point those freshman will play like freshman. Harris has kept them on point so far but dont be surprised if they start playing like most freshman.

Many of you read my posts about the Baylor and Oregon games. Even last nite against SC we made a come back and then missed a breakaway layup. That may have changed the game. We arent that bad or as bad as some of the post make us sound. I know everybody is frustrated and disappointed about our 3 losses. But right now thats who we are.

I will try to remain positive and believe we will win every game. We have a bunch of top 5 HS players who arent all playing up to their potencial yet. They will and its that that continues to make me beleive we will go very far in the NCAA tournment. Hey we may not but I beleive we can.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Two years ago, we lost Charli Collier, our top post recruit, last year we lose
Boston to SC, after we all thought she was coming to Uconn. That is a big
recruiting hit. Now are second line posts are injured and we are short handed.

We can't beat the top three teams with a depleted roster. All the other teams
have gotten better with better talent. There is plenty of talent in WBB now.

SC played great defense against us, they took away the passing lanes, got
up on our three point shooters and caused havoc on our offense. Dawn has
learned a lot from Geno and now it is starting to show, not only in their play,
but in their recruiting and coaching. Welcome to the new world of WBB.

Don't be surprised if we beat one of these top teams in the NCAA's, but to
beat two or three of them is a tall order. We may beat one of them and make
it to the FF again, and that will be good for this team.

Next year will be a different team with six new faces coming in and we will
still be a young team. All is not lost, we are UCONN.
The landscape has
changed and maybe the glory days will be more appreciated, and never
to be seen again. Who knows? Keep the faith.

It's unusual for UConn to look forward to incoming FRESHMEN to improve their team and its outlook. Freshmen have seldom been perceived as "saviors", but UConn could use one (or two). Freshmen are doing very well on other teams this year. You need look no further than the freshmen at South Carolina. Brea Beal, Aliyah Boston and Zia Cooke.

All 3 start and are playing well. They are a large part of the reason SC is doing so well. Sometimes the other team is just better than you are. Sometimes it's painful to admit that. More often than not, UConn has been that "other" team. I hope UConn's incoming freshmen can have a similar impact on this team next season.

Reaction Score
I agree with Tony.....we have the talent, just never know who’s going to show up. Last night we were yelling at the TV to move......too much standing around. I was at the USA game and man o man if they played like that game last night different story. We might have still lost but the gals looked spot-on and moved the ball. Plus, you might not like this but Geno in some games looks out-of-sync.
I believe he also needs to regroup. Love Geno, the players and coaches......we can’t win them all, but the players certainly can play with passion and tenacity each and every game. We can still do this! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
It isn't the losses for many fans, it is the demise of the "beautiful game" that UConn is known for, and it is the seeming lack of intensity/grit by certain members of the current team. Having less physical talent is one thing, but the intangibles that players can control is another. Others may add that there seems to be issues with; attention to details, lazy passes, etc.

Reaction Score
UCONN had no answer for Harris and Boston. SC hit shots when they were needed. MW and CW simply could not respond. Didn't recognize Geno's plan of having ONO so far away from the basket in the second half.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This doesn’t bother me nearly as much as choking against Miss st or ND two years in a row did.

this team is flawed as the top players havent taken the huge leaps we expected.

those teams I mentioned above should’ve steamrolled and let the bright lights get to them.

Reaction Score
I expected some lean years after Stewart left. I did not anticipate wandering in the wilderness for five years or longer.
Winter has come. Spring is lagging far behind.

Wilderness? UConn has been in the Final Four every year since Stewie graduated. The only school to do so. If that's wilderness, where are the rest of the teams wandering?

Reaction Score
Uconn's game against Baylor Oregon and South Carolina has been ineffective due to those teams having stronger inside players. To be fair, Liz has not been productive against those teams, averaging 6 ppg. If you neutralize the inside game Uconn becomes a jump shot team, against these level teams. The fast break and inside penetration game hasn't shown up, as much as needed, against the 3 best teams. Uconn against the AAC teams makes them look much better, but you wont see those type of teams after round one or two of the NCAA'S.
Makes you really appreciate how good Phee and Lou were to the team.

In fairness, I didn't see South Carolina's size as a major factor as to why we were outplayed last night. Thought it was much more of a factor in the Baylor game. Thought they ran better offenses sets, shot better, and were really tough on defense. We mostly held our own on the inside (except for missing way too many layups).

Reaction Score
Well let's see. Two points in one quarter. That should calm the ol' Boneyard down. Cannot imagine why folks would be torqued.

Two points in one quarter. And it was not just that South Carolina threw up a combination of size and speed and some of the best lock-down defense seen anywhere in a long time. UConn missed shot after shot after shot. The only difference between this quarter and the rest of the game was that in this quarter, they didn't make any shots. Embarrassing, no?

Two points in one quarter. Sure, their defense held vaunted South Carolina to 11. But does anyone really care when the offense generated, yup, two points in one quarter?

Two points in one quarter. Missed layups and missed gimmes. Rushed shots. No rhythm.

The rest of the game, the team played like they played against Baylor and Oregon: Outmanned, out-defensed and outclassed, but close to being in the game until the last five minutes or so. No shame there. Anyone who thinks that ONO, her sophomore year, at least, can go up against South Carolina's big guns, or Oregon's or Baylor's for crying out loud, and come out victorious is on some kind of drugs. Williams and Walker, it seems to me, are the class of the AAC but, at least this year, role players when UConn goes up against good teams from good leagues.

I'm pretty sure UConn will come out against USF and kill 'em. At least I hope they do, because I'm going to the game. But the NCAA tournament will be another thing altogether, at least after the first two rounds. Fans just have to get used to it and accept the idea that depending on matchups, it might take an upset for UConn to make the Elite 8.

Personally, I was upset by only one thing last night -- the two-point quarter -- in the whole game -- because the rest was just the team playing up to its tendencies. The team is what it is. The coaches can only do so much. "Wait 'til next year" starts to sound really good about now.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Frustration, disappointment, anger, humiliation its all here. Gotta tell ya I couldnt believe my eyes last nite. I know some of you were ready to turn off your TV. I read the threads and Ive never seen the board this down, and Ive been posting since 1995.
It is the delusional entitlement disorder. :)

Reaction Score
I want to win every game. In a runaway. And win every national championship. Is that asking too much? Jeez...

Reaction Score
Tony: I love your optimism. However, face reality. This is not our year. It is ok. Inherent in this is the nucleus of a great Team that will be formed and trained next year. And, don't have your expectations for next year exceed their capability because there will be a few new people who have to learn the system and learn how to compete under Geno.
Well said OD, Hoping that one or two of the new players coming in will have that "take charge" mentality. No matter what the talent level is on the floor it needs discipline and direction and it has to be on the floor, not from the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom