Ive never seen the board this down [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ive never seen the board this down [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Well said OD, Hoping that one or two of the new players coming in will have that "take charge" mentality. No matter what the talent level is on the floor it needs discipline and direction and it has to be on the floor, not from the bench.
Remember: Evina Westbrook will be also eligible to play next year and bring a lot of experience to the Team. With the new recruits and a core group of players remaining, it seems that next year's team will be more competitive giving the ones who defeated UConn this year a run for their money next year.

Reaction Score
It looks like lots of the BY faithful have thrown in the towel for this year. Me, I think the fun is just beginning. The team will make the NCAA tournament and then will only have to win 6 games. Don't know how far they're go but lets enjoy this team while we can and not think about next year.

Reaction Score
The 2020, 2021, and 2022 classes will be filled with elite players for UCONN. I can see multiple NC'S in the near future. We all knew that this was probably not our year. UCONN will be back that I promise you.

Christyn Williams and Meg Walker were also supposed to be "elite" players. Most of those South Carolina players aren't going anywhere for a long time.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Maybe we should just cancel the rest of the season.

After all, we have lost three (3) games! This is not supposed to happen to the Huskies. It ain't fair, not at all. If we just cancel the rest of our games and start over next year, playing in the NBE and with Paige and the other new troops, that might just be the best thing for our image and our egos. If we don't have at least at apparent lock on the NC, what is the point of going on with it?

Actually, I think a lot of you have given up a little too soon. Yes, we are pretty sure not to get a one seed, maybe not even a high two, although I think we will get one or the other. And I still think that, on a given night, if the damned shots fall for CW and MW, and the rest goes right, we might just beat any one of the "Big Three". Like a football, a basketball can take some funny bounces. I will not be at all surprised to see the final four streak continue. They can't shoot that badly all the time!! (Chrystal, of course, excluded from that comment.) And if it does, how sweet it will be!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
"When we're moving we're not thinking about shooting the ball, we're not thinking I better hurry up and shoot the ball because the shot clock is running down".

Last night, more times than I'd like to recall, it was "I'd better find somebody to PASS to that will shoot, because the clock is running down"...

Reaction Score
It's not just the losses; it's the way we lost. Not even close.
We could possibly pull an upset. FF is possible. NC is out of the question barring a miracle.

Reaction Score
Remember when Tenn won the NC with (gasp) 9 losses??? Granted, that was a long time ago and the women’s game has changed dramatically since then but that is why they actually play instead of awarding the victory to the best team on paper. Anyone can become hot in March....we see it all the time on the men’s side. Last night sucked but as long as there are still games to be played we are in it! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
With the board this down maybe it’s time for a song thread. In lieu of that I’ll take this opportunity to toss in a song. I just learned that this group was on active duty in the Marines when they recorded Easier Said Than Done.

this group also recorded He's A Walking Miracle. There were many singing groups that have recorded songs while in the military. Fred Parris wrote "IN The Still of The Night" while he was overseas in the Army thinking about his girl at night.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It's not just the losses; it's the way we lost. Not even close.
We could possibly pull an upset. FF is possible. NC is out of the question barring a miracle.
Anyone know how to get in touch with Miracle Max and mebbe get a few of his miracle pills? Cause the Huskies ain't ENTIRELY dead, they are only a little bit dead. A miracle pill would do the job, doncha think?

Reaction Score
Tony: I love your optimism. However, face reality. This is not our year. It is ok. Inherent in this is the nucleus of a great Team that will be formed and trained next year. And, don't have your expectations for next year exceed their capability because there will be a few new people who have to learn the system and learn how to compete under Geno.
Love a former (never an ex) Marine who faces reality, much like this old Army dogface. Let's get real: this team was never going to be as accomplished as past champions. No height, no bulk, little experience, and yes...…………...as some have pointed out, the competition in the women's AAC (Almost Always Crappy) is an impediment to in-season improvement. Accept that getting to the Elite Eight would be a major achievement. I don't think we'll advance beyond the Sweet Sixteen, and hope I am wrong. Geno was candid in his preseason assessment. Jamelle Elliot, where are you?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Love a former (never an ex) Marine who faces reality, much like this old Army dogface. Let's get real: this team was never going to be as accomplished as past champions. No height, no bulk, little experience, and yes...…………...as some have pointed out, the competition in the women's AAC (Almost Always Crappy) is an impediment to in-season improvement. Accept that getting to the Elite Eight would be a major achievement. I don't think we'll advance beyond the Sweet Sixteen, and hope I am wrong. Geno was candid in his preseason assessment. Jamelle Elliot, where are you?

the biggest surprise is the absolute lack of shooting.

Reaction Score
Uconn's game against Baylor Oregon and South Carolina has been ineffective due to those teams having stronger inside players. To be fair, Liz has not been productive against those teams, averaging 6 ppg. If you neutralize the inside game Uconn becomes a jump shot team, against these level teams. The fast break and inside penetration game hasn't shown up, as much as needed, against the 3 best teams. Uconn against the AAC teams makes them look much better, but you wont see those type of teams after round one or two of the NCAA'S.
Makes you really appreciate how good Phee and Lou were to the team.
I think the problem is we are too soft, we need a couple of fighters on the team. We get punched and we turn the other cheek no fighting back Like Diana, Rizotti, Elliot, Sue Bird and allot of tough players we have had.

Reaction Score
It looks like lots of the BY faithful have thrown in the towel for this year. Me, I think the fun is just beginning. The team will make the NCAA tournament and then will only have to win 6 games. Don't know how far they're go but lets enjoy this team while we can and not think about next year.
Don't worry, the towel is only thrown in til the next game. After we blitz through the remaining AAC schedule, beating everyone by 40 or 50, we'll be back to thinking we have deserving All-Americans and are worthy of a 1 seed (Hey - is anyone else outside the top 3 really any better?). And if we somehow get put in the Fort Wayne region, it's totally realistic we'll make it to the FF.

Reaction Score
With the board this down maybe it’s time for a song thread. In lieu of that I’ll take this opportunity to toss in a song. I just learned that this group was on active duty in the Marines when they recorded Easier Said Than Done.

[/https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zcveGZv799w

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Jonathan's 2 through 13 were white. The first and current Jonathan's were the more typical husky.
I don't know what number he was ( 1966-70), but I met him, a very friendly dog. Of course, I love dogs.

Wasn't there a period of time when there was no mascot? Not politically correct, or some such nonsense.

Reaction Score
Well said OD, Hoping that one or two of the new players coming in will have that "take charge" mentality. No matter what the talent level is on the floor it needs discipline and direction and it has to be on the floor, not from the bench.
I thought what the team really lacked in OR and SC gms was a vocal leader on the floor. In Both games, each player looked lost and we needed one ‘leader’ to step up...there wasn’t one. As great a player as Crystal is, she doesn’t seem to be a verbal leader.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I keep seeing posts like "just wait, SC's freshmen will start playing like freshmen soon" and to be honest, if you're making a post like that then you're obviously not watching SC close enough. The truth is that our 3 freshmen starters play like freshmen several times every game. They make boneheaded mistakes, take bad shots and occasionally are out of place on defense. What works for them is that they're smart, fearless and tough. They've learned from experience. Dawn allows them to play through their mistakes and they have two seniors on the floor with them that's literally coaching them through games at times. Our freshmen have started every game this season and they've played big minutes in big games... so they're a little mentally tougher than most freshmen because they're experienced. But if you watch our earlier games, that wasn't always the case. SC hit the jackpot by having a freshmen class with a high basketball IQ and with 3 players that were ready to start... but that's not to say there aren't freshmen on other teams that aren't "playing like freshmen".. look at Rickea Jackson. It's all about experience. These freshmen are tested.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I keep seeing posts like "just wait, SC's freshmen will start playing like freshmen soon" and to be honest, if you're making a post like that then you're obviously not watching SC close enough. The truth is that our 3 freshmen starters play like freshmen several times every game. They make boneheaded mistakes, take bad shots and occasionally are out of place on defense. What works for them is that they're smart, fearless and tough. They've learned from experience. Dawn allows them to play through their mistakes and they have two seniors on the floor with them that's literally coaching them through games at times. Our freshmen have started every game this season and they've played big minutes in big games... so they're a little mentally tougher than most freshmen because they're experienced. But if you watch our earlier games, that wasn't always the case. SC hit the jackpot by having a freshmen class with a high basketball IQ and with 3 players that were ready to start... but that's not to say there aren't freshmen on other teams that aren't "playing like freshmen".. look at Rickea Jackson. It's all about experience. These freshmen are tested.

I never had that thought process. I just think chances of Dawn being down 3 years in a row is not too likely. I do consider Wilson's senior year kind of a down year for SC. Maybe SC fans here disagree, but I don't think that SC team looked like the SC teams of years previous.

Anyways, I think one difference between Dawn and Vic is that while Dawn lets her freshman play through their mistakes, Vic automatically substitutes anyone showing clears signs of not getting it. And since he has such a full bench, he can afford to roll the dice a lot.

Rickea Jackson has a very varied offensive arsenal, and she stretches well. feet and mind often in sync. But interesting thing is nobody in Starkville expected anything less from her at the onset. 47% field goal percentage is impressive for a freshman. And plays 29 minutes and leads the team in shots.

Reaction Score
Tonyc, you are a true fan of our program, and your ever positive thoughts are soothing. But there is the team we have in our head-- the one we are accustomed to seeing, and there is the 'actual' team that have played since the season started. We are not alone with this duality. I have watched a replay of the SC game and it struck me that the two commentators kept talking about 3 teams on the floor-- SC, a Uconn team and another Uconn team that was there in expectation; that is, "this is how we that Uconn team would have played." In fact, they seemed a lot more interested in that version than the one on the floor.

I have never seen this team as a top 5, but more towards the bottom top 10. So I am not distraught. What I am surprise about is their seeming lack of ability to move. So I went back to older games with these players and voila: individually, they have not been quick and perpetually moving players. That is not their game. All of this was lost last year and the years before because those other players excelled at moving thus hiding the current ones. They are all talented, but their style clashes with the standard flow-offense. To this must be added the question of how much sophistication they have with the plays, spacing, etc., in the Uconn system. I'm not convinced that this is a problem only for the two freshmen. As for the latter, Anna may have played professional in Poland, but we shouldn't confused that with professionals in other parts of Europe and may I say USA. I seriously doubt she has experienced players so quick, skilled and tall. Aubrey needs a longer rope. She probably has more shot-making skills than shown. If SC can develop their Freshmen to the level they are now, we should learn something.
If we played BU, OR and SC as if we were afraid, as the coach and others here are saying, it is because we cannot play the style of play that is necessary to compete-- moving.
What happened to ND and Uconn this year? Have we spend too much time on getting the right bouquet (of flowers/roses) instead of cultivating fruits and vegetables?

Reaction Score
I did not watch the game but read the commentary and while I can tell fans are greatly disappointed, I still think UConn is one of the 5 best teams in the country if their best four play their A game, which doesn't look like it's happened in the losses. For a program that is accustomed to having their best players come up huge in big games, I can understand how it's bothersome.

UConn does bring in a loaded recruiting class next year and will have Westbrook so if everyone is healthy then the size and depth problem from this season is a non issue. I do think SC will be here for the next few years to give everyone some tough battles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom