It's not coaching | Page 5 | The Boneyard

It's not coaching

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yes but it coaching too. The plan is designed for an inefficient high usage center. It was a nice thought but sample size is in. And then we added a big usage inefficient point guard. Nice numbers ( Newton last year at ECU, Sanogo last two years) but ultimately losing players to build around. Sanogo shot under 50 tonight that’s unacceptable for a center, I’ve been saying that for two years I didn’t even like his usage in creighton win. It’s long term fools gold. And combine that with how many turnovers we get trying to force feed him via coaching and we see what we get. Nice kid good player. Not a centerpiece. As long as he is a centerpiece instead of a piece this is us.
It's time for Clingan to start. He moves better without the ball, and he can literally rip the ball out of the air in a way Sanogo cannot.

Reaction Score
Awful, those turnovers in the 2nd half on consecutive plays, that horrible call against Newton who made a layup and got fouled and was called for a charge. #1 issue can't be fixed this year- as many have said, no aggressive point guard who can get inside. Seton Hall gifted this to us for UConn to come away with a win, unlike the last few teams, they didn't run a pick up high which has been tough for us to defend. But we still screwed it up. I don't like seeing Clingan setting screens up high, it's a waste of what he does best. Sanogo drives me crazy with good and bad. Defense still lost the game for us tonight.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I thought so for a while but at this point after seeing all the NBE teams, I disagree about the talent
It seems UConn is out jumped, out hustled, and just plain over matched athletically and mentally
What you described isn’t talent

Reaction Score
We missed at least 6 wide open layups in the second half. Yeah, it’s coaching.
I hear ya but not playing a Zone against a team that can't shoot a lick is bad coaching

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Coaching is part of it no doubt it’s the staffs team which is on the floor they selected them to come to Storrs.

And their leaders were all no shows 2nd half so that’s not on the coaching. On both ends Sanogo and Jackson were dreadful and I’m not sure if Hawkins was dreadful, I couldn’t find him!
Hawkins is trying to find his body parts - they abused him but he needs to muscle up

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Seton Hall is a team we should smoke. You're not going to get credit for beating a team by one that you are favored to beat by five.
Just like being 14 points favorites at home against St. Johns

Reaction Score
Bottom line, we don't have guards that are able to drive to the hoop or create for others. Diarra is the closest we have, but he is not the answer. Early in the season, the problems were kind of hidden as teams didn't know to pressure our guards and the 3 point shooting was lights out.

The book on defending UConn is pressure the guards, guard the 3, and collapse on Sanogo and UConn won't have an offense as nobody is capable of driving to the hoop. On offense, teams can drive by the guards and there isn't a shot blocker to protect the rim unless Clingan is in.

Reaction Score
It’s funny how Hurley’s previous teams were much more competitive with inferior players. They said Uconn was back…we are not back. Giving up 50% shooting, turning the ball over 20 times and being non-competitive on the road is not Uconn basketball. The dreams Big East regular season, Big East Tournament champs, seeded in the East Region targeting MSG, a number 1 ranking, and sugar plums dancing in our head are now over. It’s desperation time like all the other Hurley teams. They need a reset and we need to reset our own brains. The prognosticators on us being unranked and finishing in the middle of the Big East were correct. We just need to think make the tournament and get a least 1 win to continue the progress. Before the season we knew we were still a year or 2 away from being a championship team and being Uconn again. So we now need to take it from there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Awful, those turnovers in the 2nd half on consecutive plays, that horrible call against Newton who made a layup and got fouled and was called for a charge. #1 issue can't be fixed this year- as many have said, no aggressive point guard who can get inside. Seton Hall gifted this to us for UConn to come away with a win, unlike the last few teams, they didn't run a pick up high which has been tough for us to defend. But we still screwed it up. I don't like seeing Clingan setting screens up high, it's a waste of what he does best. Sanogo drives me crazy with good and bad. Defense still lost the game for us tonight.
Seton hall is a pretty bad team offensively. I don’t even know what we do anymore.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall is a team we should smoke. You're not going to get credit for beating a team by one that you are favored to beat by five.
Point
———-
Your head

I would’nt have given him credit or blame for tonight is my point. If it’s his fault we lost tonight then it would’ve been his fault if we had one. It can’t go both ways

Reaction Score
I want to believe that this will pass, but the last 6 games have been exactly the same, and we were lucky to win one of them.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

This team and coaching staff aren’t learning from these losses. They just aren’t and there isn’t any indication they know what to do about it.

Reaction Score
I want to believe that this will pass, but the last 6 games have been exactly the same, and we were lucky to win one of them.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

This team and coaching staff aren’t learning from these losses. They just aren’t and there isn’t any indication they know what to do about it.
It doesn’t look good

Reaction Score
It’s funny how Hurley’s previous teams were much more competitive with inferior players. They said Uconn was back…we are not back. Giving up 50% shooting, turning the ball over 20 times and being non-competitive on the road is not Uconn basketball. The dreams Big East regular season, Big East Tournament champs, seeded in the East Region targeting MSG, a number 1 ranking, and sugar plums dancing in our head are now over. It’s desperation time like all the other Hurley teams. They need a reset and we need to reset our own brains. The prognosticators on us being unranked and finishing in the middle of the Big East were correct. We just need to think make the tournament and get a least 1 win to continue the progress. Before the season we knew we were still a year or 2 away from being a championship team and being Uconn again. So we now need to take it from there.
They can’t hit the reset if they can’t identify what’s wrong.

They clearly have no clue.

Reaction Score
We can just agree to disagree. If he makes that layup and the rest of the game plays out the exact same, we win by 1
That’s just not how things work lmao. You can’t change one thing and keep the rest the same. Weird thing to say.

Reaction Score
And it’s not a knock on Sanogo. He’s a stud. But teams know our offense and our coaching staff refuses to change
They've been screaming at the guards to get to the basket. They can't.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Why can't they complete a second half? So many turnovers from lack of focus or forcing passes. The TOs were why we lost overall in the end. I do agree that having Clingan in at the end is probably wise, I didn't get why they didn't put him in the for the last :11 of the first half of the SJU game either. When you need rim protection... put in the 7'2" guy with a high block %, no?

In the end it's coaching - they have the plans, pick the players, etc. The buck stops with them even if they aren't the boots on the ground, that's how it works.

They need to get their heads together and get it back together, you could see in the first half they looked like they were playing one of those first 14 games so they are capable of it.

This sucks.

Reaction Score
Hawkins is trying to find his body parts - they abused him but he needs to muscle up
I get it but if he’s as good as people think and he thinks man up. He gets guarded tight he can’t create at all.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Exactly. We should've been up 20 at the half but kissed away it to 11 before a Hawkins bail out 3. If we had actually just played offense besides "feed Sanogo" we would've had an insurmountable lead.
All game Seton Hall simply cut to the rim for easy layups. Something we NEVER do because guys just pass it to Sanogo and wait at the 3 point line.

CUT TO THE DAMN BASKET. They overplay the hell out of Hawkins. You would think they would work backdoor cuts into the damn gameplan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom