It's not coaching | Page 4 | The Boneyard

It's not coaching

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Good Lord. I’m not disagreeing with anything your saying about the coaching staff. My point is “bad coaching” and all our All American center choked the game away by missing a bunny. There is no Clingan scenario if the 6’9 beast dunks the freaking ball.
And I’m saying that one play isn’t why we lost.

Reaction Score
This isn’t hard. Had he made a wide open layup we win the game. Everything else you’re saying is cool. But let’s not act like him missing a WIDE OPEN layup 40 seconds before we lost by 1 isn’t why we lost. SH scored one time after that missed layup. One Time.
It was an awful miss but we probably still crap our pants and lose the game if he makes it. There was plenty of time left to blow a 3 point lead.

Team is lost. Play out of control in the 2H which I guess is better than them looking uninterested against St John’s.

It’s on coaching and the players.

Reaction Score
There was a large sect of this board who were ready to use a win tonight as a referendum on Hurleys coaching ability. Those same people are blaming him for the loss. I just find it funny that win or lose tonight it was going to=Hurley Bad. I’m speaking specifically on tonight
We're 4-5 in the Big East in a far from vintage Big East with a team loaded with talent. Please stop.

Hurley gets lauded when we have big wins at the beginning of the season every year. When we fall apart every year later in the season he gets the blame. That's how it works.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We missed at least 6 wide open layups in the second half. Yeah, it’s coaching.
Apparently it’s Sanogo’s fault. Missing one layup

But yes, lineups come from the coaching staff

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
It's all coaching. Hurley took the long process of building this thing and has talked nonstop about culture and toughness. It's now year 5 with nothing to show for it and we're still as fragile as it gets. Five seasons with a bunch of different players throughout and they always wilt.

Meanwhile Sean Miller comes in year one and has his team ranked #8 in the country and they look like an offensive juggernaut. Shaka Smart comes into Marquette and takes them to the tournament his first season and now they're #20 in the country in his second season. UConn has a lot more talent than either team on paper. I can name a bunch of other coaches who turned their programs around right away.

It's all about coaching or a lack of coaching.
This is making me feel even worse.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
If Clingan is in on defense, he grabs that rebound and we win. That’s coaching.
I'm not defending the move, but the thing about that rebound is it came almost straight down. No one had any time to react. It fell right onto the guys hands

Reaction Score
We're 4-5 in the Big East in a far from vintage Big East with a team loaded with talent. Please stop.

Hurley gets lauded when we have big wins at the beginning of the season every year. When we fall apart every year later in the season he gets the blame. That's how it works.
Point
————
Your Head

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

4 years in a row and people refuse to see it

Reaction Score
1674094432786.gif

Reaction Score
It's all coaching. Hurley took the long process of building this thing and has talked nonstop about culture and toughness. It's now year 5 with nothing to show for it and we're still as fragile as it gets. Five seasons with a bunch of different players throughout and they always wilt.

Meanwhile Sean Miller comes in year one and has his team ranked #8 in the country and they look like an offensive juggernaut. Shaka Smart comes into Marquette and takes them to the tournament his first season and now they're #20 in the country in his second season. UConn has a lot more talent than either team on paper. I can name a bunch of other coaches who turned their programs around right away.

It's all about coaching or a lack of coaching.
Thank you.

More examples - Jerome Tang at KSU, Dennis Gates at Mizzou, Mick Cronin at UCLA - we can go on and on.

Hurley has failed here. He cannot consistently keep the players he recruits, and he has failed in the portal. He has failed in March and he has not been competitive in the Big East.

This should not be acceptable here. Many people dont want to admit this, but we have seen Dan Hurley's ceiling. It is not good enough. I wanted to wait until March to really consider this season a success or failure but the last couple of weeks have rapidly sped that up. He is getting paid to be top contending coach, and he is not doing it. Plain and simple. This is not Wagner, this is not Rhode Island. This is UConn. I am not okay with just making the tournament in year five. No one in here should. The sample size is big enough.

Reaction Score
Dude what are you talking about? We were up double digits and pissed the game away. We were cooking. Then we went back to force feeding sanogo and not playing Clingan.

Exactly. We should've been up 20 at the half but kissed away it to 11 before a Hawkins bail out 3. If we had actually just played offense besides "feed Sanogo" we would've had an insurmountable lead.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Exactly. We should've been up 20 at the half but kissed away it to 11 before a Hawkins bail out 3. If we had actually just played offense besides "feed Sanogo" we would've had an insurmountable lead.
And it’s not a knock on Sanogo. He’s a stud. But teams know our offense and our coaching staff refuses to change

Reaction Score
Dude what are you talking about? We were up double digits and pissed the game away. We were cooking. Then we went back to force feeding sanogo and not playing Clingan.
Agree with this for sure

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom