It's not coaching | Page 3 | The Boneyard

It's not coaching

Reaction Score
Who created the offensive and defensive styles? Who puts in the lineups? At some point the defending of the ineptitude has got to stop. That’s how we get here. Four years of this. That missed layup didn’t cost us the game. How about the 10+ turnovers in the second half trying to force feed sanogo and giving up a double digit lead. Again

The turnovers were from wilting under ball pressure by the guards.

Reaction Score
It's all coaching. Hurley took the long process of building this thing and has talked nonstop about culture and toughness. It's now year 5 with nothing to show for it and we're still as fragile as it gets. Five seasons with a bunch of different players throughout and they always wilt.

Meanwhile Sean Miller comes in year one and has his team ranked #8 in the country and they look like an offensive juggernaut. Shaka Smart comes into Marquette and takes them to the tournament his first season and now they're #20 in the country in his second season. UConn has a lot more talent than either team on paper. I can name a bunch of other coaches who turned their programs around right away.

It's all about coaching or a lack of coaching.
This.

This.

This.

This.

This.

People need to read the above. Every single time.

Reaction Score
For everyone blaming Hurley for the loss, would he have gotten credit for the win? I didn’t think so
he got plenty of credit when they were 14-0. it has to go both ways.

For all Hurley speaks about culture, he sure does have a lousy one right now. Everyone looks lost and disorganized and the effort just isn't there.

Reaction Score
Coaching is part of it no doubt it’s the staffs team which is on the floor they selected them to come to Storrs.

And their leaders were all no shows 2nd half so that’s not on the coaching. On both ends Sanogo and Jackson were dreadful and I’m not sure if Hawkins was dreadful, I couldn’t find him!

Reaction Score
Dude what are you talking about? We were up double digits and pissed the game away. We were cooking. Then we went back to force feeding sanogo and not playing Clingan.
This isn’t hard. Had he made a wide open layup we win the game. Everything else you’re saying is cool. But let’s not act like him missing a WIDE OPEN layup 40 seconds before we lost by 1 isn’t why we lost. SH scored one time after that missed layup. One Time.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
For everyone blaming Hurley for the loss, would he have gotten credit for the win? I didn’t think so
He was getting talked about for coach of the year. We all were congratulating him

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
The transfer portal looked like a sexy move after the first 14 games.

This is the walk of shame now.
We kinda forgot about the physicality of the Big East and how you have to recruit based on it.

Reaction Score
Screaming is wonderful.. However he was invisible in the second half, which is ridiculous for a supposed lottery pick.. and worse yet, it’s a trend
I don’t know if it’s the concussion concern but he plays with zero toughness. Would rather just fire up 3s. We need one perimeter guy to take over games and he hasn’t been it.

Reaction Score
This isn’t hard. Had he made a wide open layup we win the game. Everything else you’re saying is cool. But let’s not act like him missing a WIDE OPEN layup 40 seconds before we lost by 1 isn’t why we lost. SH scored one time after that missed layup. One Time.
The game never should've been close.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We pissed away a double digit lead to a horrendous team. Why didn’t the coaching staff put Clingan in to secure the rebound? It happened after Sanogos missed layup. Stop carrying their water

Reaction Score
he got plenty of credit when they were 14-0. it has to go both ways.

For all Hurley speaks about culture, he sure does have a lousy one right now. Everyone looks lost and disorganized and the effort just isn't there.

He was getting talked about for coach of the year. We all were congratulating him
There was a large sect of this board who were ready to use a win tonight as a referendum on Hurleys coaching ability. Those same people are blaming him for the loss. I just find it funny that win or lose tonight it was going to=Hurley Bad. I’m speaking specifically on tonight

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
He’s not built to make that layup.

Reaction Score
Effort has been an issue with some players. It's been an all around crapfest of sorts.

Guards still can't stay in front of their man. Newton migTht as well have a red cape. He gets leaned on and actually steps out of the way to let a guy go past him for a offensive rebound and putback
I amazed Sanogo gets what he gets at times. He is soft and shys away from contact. Even with his skillset (footwork, patience and touch) I am starting to have doubts whether he ever plays past the G-League.
Jackson can't go after every fake or twitch.

The coaches can't put the ball in the basket, but they can put Clingan and Sanogo on the floor together with 12 seconds left to play defense and rebound.

This was just a crushing loss. You have a team your suppose to beat on the road, on the hook and let them wiggle off without much effort or fight.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If you thought Clingan played well in the 2h you are more lost than I thought
Adama -12 in 28 mins
Clingan +11 in 12 mins

We needed him the defensive end. Our guards play better on the offensive end with him.

I guess accepting committing 10+ turnovers trying to force feed Sanogo is a good thing is your hill to die on

Reaction Score
If Clingan is in on defense, he grabs that rebound and we win. That’s coaching.
Quite frankly, the shot was so bad that it was a lucky rebound situation that just deflected right into Ndefo’s lap. Agreed he should’ve been in regardless but the way that ball came off the rim, not sure it makes a difference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom