Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics. | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Isaiah Briscoe and 2000 other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For those of you that might have thought we had even a slim chance? http://zagsblog.com/articles/kentucky-offers-isaiah-briscoe/

Sorry to burst your bubble. Those comments will have a UK verbal by midnight.
Love how zags drops an article like this and gets no quote on the uconn visit. Kemba walker is a better nba pg than brandon knight. The harrisons might be in lexington until they are juniors. Is cal riding Walls
coattails still? Marquis teague might be out of the league in 1-2 years.

Edit: also bledsoe give him cred there.

Reaction Score
Kids are easily impressed.

Witness Dave Rice's recruiting success at UNLV.

The man can't coach and he just took another top-30 type.
The thing that's harder for me to understand is where all these kids think the playing time is going to come from. It seems like kids always talk about their position being crowded at UConn and other schools, when it comes to Kentucky they can bring in 4 players who play the same position in one class.

Reaction Score
Wow, yep, he's gone.

I love how that artice basically removes any type of "student" from the "student athlete" term at Kentucky. Cal is up front with them, give him credit I guess. He's only there to get them into the NBA. Period. End of discussion. And I'm sure kids out of high school absolutely love that the only thing he probably asks of them is to make sure they roll out of bed and sit in their seats in classes, even if they're sleeping through them.
there is certainly no misunderstanding of what their expectations are I'm sure.

Reaction Score
His coaches and advisers are pushing uk big time. I said it last week and I will say it this week:)

Reaction Score
I also love how the article quotes Calipari via Briscoe that his job is to get people in the NBA. I thought his job is to help Kentucky reach the final four and win a national championship??? I guess his priorities are to get his players into the NBA first and then win some NCAA division I basketball games along the way. Oh, now I understand their program much better.

I am thankful everyday that I am a fan of the UCONN Huskies...

“[Calipari] said his job is to get people in the NBA, ultimately that’s everybody’s goal is to get to the NBA,” Briscoe said.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The whole system at Kentucky is predicated on kids leaving early. What happens when kids don't leave early and you get a large commitment class? Do you pressure the kids into leaving early? They will never be able to build team comradery or even a team leadership with turn over like this. They may win which I guess is really all that matters but it will never be organic. It will never be through good coaching, development on and off the court. they don't even run any plays, remember the championship game? I don't know how cal takes credit for anything. other than selling them on coming to UK. Its the exact opposite of what college athletics is all about. They are our biggest rival right now bar none. Its what cbb should be vs what cbb shouldn't be.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
“[Calipari] said his job is to get people in the NBA, ultimately that’s everybody’s goal is to get to the NBA,” Briscoe said.
Yeah, because none of the kids who left UK for the NBA since he replaced Gillespie would have gotten a second look by an NBA team if it weren't for the few months that Calipari was their coach.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Yeah, because none of the kids who left UK for the NBA since he replaced Gillespie would have gotten a second look by an NBA team if it weren't for the few months that Calipari was their coach.
Its the biggest lie in college basketball. They recruit nothing but top 15 kids. Even if these kids went to Seton Hall they'd be in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Wow, yep, he's gone.

I love how that artice basically removes any type of "student" from the "student athlete" term at Kentucky. Cal is up front with them, give him credit I guess. He's only there to get them into the NBA. Period. End of discussion. And I'm sure kids out of high school absolutely love that the only thing he probably asks of them is to make sure they roll out of bed and sit in their seats in classes, even if they're sleeping through them.
there is certainly no misunderstanding of what their expectations are I'm sure.

Online classes

caw

Reaction Score
Wait UK had six kids who were first rounders on last years team? I count two in Randle and Young. Who else is a guaranteed first rounder?

Not the twins. Not Johnson, or Poythues (SP). Not Lee. Maybe WCS.

Reaction Score
It's easy to understand why recruits are so impressionable under the guise of Calipari. The pitch is simple: come play for the most passionate fan base in the country, where almost all of your games will be aired on national TV and you'll have a great shot at going to a final four for one year, then go pro. Whereas most coaches say that and it rings hollow, Cal can point to about a billion examples with whom it's worked. After a while, it becomes a self-perpetuating formula and it's hard to say it isn't a good one.

Reaction Score
It's absolutely ridiculous. The hype machine perpetuated by ESPN and 5hitty writers like Zagoria are the only things that are getting these "waves" of kids into the NBA. Sure a number of them are actually deserving and would in all likelihood have been first round picks regardless of what school they went to, but just as many of these kids would be miles ahead of where they are had they gone to any of a number of schools where they could have actually developed into something or worked on real skills that are holding them back.

Wall, Cousins and Davis are guys that would have found success no matter where they went. (although I could argue separately that all three just have natural gifts that often allow them to succeed apart from whatever Calipari might have been able to teach them in their short time with him)

Most all of the rest of them are either finding no traction in the league, flaming out immediately, or bouncing around team to team for garbage minutes. Granted you could say that about most schools, but most schools also don't get the caliber of recruit that Calipari does (whether they should be rated that highly and what effect their commitment has to said ranking is also another discussion). Anyway, he does less with more, consistently.

More than anything I really hope that Calipari's big, brilliant idea of having a Kentucky combine backfires in the most embarrassing fashion possible. I hope every NBA scout comes out of there raving about these kid's athleticism and natural gifts while also bemoaning their lack of fundamentals and "taught" skills.

Anyway, I'm a believer in Briscoe's skills and think he and Jalen would make for a perfect complementary backcourt. It's disappointing how much Kentucky Kool-Aid he and his handlers have apparently drank but I can forgive that if he were to subsequently realize how much growth and opportunity awaits him if he were to consider UConn more seriously.

Reaction Score
Rewatch the Uconn/ Kentucky Championship game. Now if you knew nothing else which one would you think was a better program. I'm not just talking the final results. Our guys look quicker ....our fundamentals better and on and on. If you want to reach your full potential you go to UConn....period!

Reaction Score
Cal whined about "freshman" playing like freshman sometimes yet he gets kids who have played 10,000 games agains the best competition in the world before they even get there. He doesn't get freshman and we all know that. But kids don't because even at 19-20, which is old for a frosh, these are still kids who can be impressed easily. Part of the whole CAL thing is the media. ESPN can't get enough of him and drools at his sight as well as all of these college recruiting "guru's" who would never write anything bad about the guy because they want to stand in his shadows and have him call them by their first name. Even the media people are easily impressed and if there were any good one's anywhere someone would have the to tell everyone about the John Walls, Cousins, Davis', Randle's and such. As i've stated before the truth is if these guys went to Assumption College they were going in the same spot they were selected in the NBA draft out of UK. This isn't Cal coaching, hell Wall and Cousins were seen not even listening to him un huddles, these are really talented athletes biding their time.

Just the gushing over Cal by the Briscoe clan now makes me hope he goes there. No need for people who have no thought of reality in them.

Reaction Score
Cal whined about "freshman" playing like freshman sometimes yet he gets kids who have played 10,000 games agains the best competition in the world before they even get there. He doesn't get freshman and we all know that. But kids don't because even at 19-20, which is old for a frosh, these are still kids who can be impressed easily. Part of the whole CAL thing is the media. ESPN can't get enough of him and drools at his sight as well as all of these college recruiting "guru's" who would never write anything bad about the guy because they want to stand in his shadows and have him call them by their first name. Even the media people are easily impressed and if there were any good one's anywhere someone would have the to tell everyone about the John Walls, Cousins, Davis', Randle's and such. As i've stated before the truth is if these guys went to Assumption College they were going in the same spot they were selected in the NBA draft out of UK. This isn't Cal coaching, hell Wall and Cousins were seen not even listening to him un huddles, these are really talented athletes biding their time.

Just the gushing over Cal by the Briscoe clan now makes me hope he goes there. No need for people who have no thought of reality in them.

Remember what happened when Mike Francesa drew attention to his lack of coaching. What an uproar.

Reaction Score
3 guys on last years team alone snuffed their draft status. (Harrison x2, Johnson) Poythress is looking to pull a McAdoo and go undrafted after being lotto projected during his freshman year. Marcus Lee and Lyles are 5* kids who will be glued to the bench. There are other options, kids.

Reaction Score
UK kids are not UCONN kids. If they decide to go there then the only thing that happened is we talked about them why too much on this board. When I was single I used to use the same approach to make myself feel better if women made the wrong choice and went out with the beefy football player instead of me- if that is what you want we are so different I was looking in the wrong places and it was never going to happen.
It does not mean you should not try- but you have to just let those types of kids go and not be bitter about it. there are 7 other schools having the same conversation right know about the Squid.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
UK kids are not UCONN kids. If they decide to go there then the only thing that happened is we talked about them why too much on this board. When I was single I used to use the same approach to make myself feel better if women made the wrong choice and went out with the beefy football player instead of me- if that is what you want we are so different I was looking in the wrong places and it was never going to happen.
It does not mean you should not try- but you have to just let those types of kids go and not be bitter about it. there are 7 other schools having the same conversation right know about the Squid.
I don't know. I think those woman made the right choice in going out with the beefy football players.:cool:

All kidding aside, this was one of your best posts. Couldn't like it enough!

Reaction Score
Newman made the statement " less is more" at Kentucky .....huh? They should win the NC every year with the amount of talent they pull in. If you ask me they under achieve. Last year they almost didn't make the tournament ...AGAIN. At times it look like the wheels were going to come off and Calipari was blaming his players as usual and then at the end of the year they squeeze out some close wins. Cal is a genius again. UCONN with hard work, great coaching and strong fundementals makes the NC and it is a fluke. UK makes it on pure overwhelming talent and Cal is brilliant as always. As Mau stated it's not just recruits that drink the Kool Aid.

Reaction Score
Cal has the one-and-done --> hype --> NBA boulder rolling downhill without stopping. It's basically a self-sustaining cycle at this point.

He brings in a recruiting class of 5 one-and-dones. The media hypes them way up, so that UK/Cal develop a reputation of being "the place [not going to call it a 'school'] all the top NBA prospects go". Then Cal can turn around to the next class of recruits and say "do you want to come to the place all the top NBA prospects go, or do you want to go somewhere else?", and the kids get it in their head that they're hurting their chances by going anywhere else. Cal's argument is basically about reputation and the company they keep.

Reaction Score
Cal has the one-and-done --> hype --> NBA boulder rolling downhill without stopping. It's basically a self-sustaining cycle at this point.

He brings in a recruiting class of 5 one-and-dones. The media hypes them way up, so that UK/Cal develop a reputation of being "the place [not going to call it a 'school'] all the top NBA prospects go". Then Cal can turn around to the next class of recruits and say "do you want to come to the place all the top NBA prospects go, or do you want to go somewhere else?", and the kids get it in their head that they're hurting their chances by going anywhere else. Cal's argument is basically about reputation and the company they keep.

Yup. We all need to stop wondering how and why he's able to do this every year. These are 17 year-old kids who want nothing more than to play in the NBA. They are impressed with what's going on there.

Reaction Score
Yup. We all need to stop wondering how and why he's able to do this every year. These are 17 year-old kids who want nothing more than to play in the NBA. They are impressed with what's going on there.

I'm okay with this but they're not 17 anymore like normal freshman, they're 19 mostly sometime older after 5 years of HS/prep and have "support groups" of supposedly mature basketball people!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
“He liked both visits, thinks he could be successful at both places, was very, very impressed with Kentucky and the machine that it is and the intimacy of UConn appeals to him,” Jimmy Salmon of the Playaz Basketball Club told SNY.tv Tuesday.

“He’s got a lot to think about.”

Briscoe Enjoys UConn, Kentucky, ‘Has a Lot to Think About’

Intimacy? What intimacy? You want intimacy you go to Dook. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I read that I think Ky has a slight edge, but that could just be my innate New England pessimism talking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom