Is UConn dying? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Is UConn dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As I understand your situation, it seems to me that if (i) the on-field/on-court "product" can be mildly to moderately improved, and (ii) current students do not go into open revolt over athletic fees, then the University will be able to continue to compete athletically and carry your brand forward. Everyone in the Athletic Department should be singing from the same page in the song book, and that requires good leadership there which I think you have.

Reaction Score
As far as UConn's brand goes, football improvement to mid conference would be nice, but not necessary to maintain the brand.

Improvement in basketball to top of conference status is necessary to maintain the status of the brand.

Much like Duke...Duke is Duke...regardless of their football prowess, or lack there of.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
HAHA, NO, UConn is NOT dying, we're just rehabbing

Winning fixes everything, and I believe we'll start winning once again. The American's next round of TV deals will be a significant improvement and will also help close the numbers.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
New article on SBNation today.

Why UConn should probably drop to FCS

The author of that article ought to check his facts. UCONN was never an "FCS contender" as he suggests. In fact, the only real foray we ever made into the playoffs was in Skip Holtz's last season, when we squeaked by Hampton 42-34 only to get clobbered in the next round by Georgia Southern. Ironically, we have enjoyed far more success as an FBS program than we ever did in the FCS, going to several bowl games including the BCS Fiesta Bowl.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Just begrudgingly bought my tickets for todays game off of stubhub. (6+fees) My preference would be to buy directly from Uconn who has the same tickets listed as 33 (plus fees). Something needs to be done here about this. Id take a hit to buy from Uconn but feel like theyre saying no to money by keeping tickets that price. Maybe make a deal with Stubhub or adjust tickets on the website??

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just begrudgingly bought my tickets for todays game off of stubhub. (6+fees) My preference would be to buy directly from Uconn who has the same tickets listed as 33 (plus fees). Something needs to be done here about this. Id take a hit to buy from Uconn but feel like theyre saying no to money by keeping tickets that price. Maybe make a deal with Stubhub or adjust tickets on the website??

You probably bought it from UConn. They have tickets on all the third party sites it’s usually pretty easy to tell which are theirs.

They move them through a third party but when you see the lowest price and Row R Seats 1-16 they are on the end of the transaction.

These Row Q seats are just unsold inventory they let an third party list.

This is why when people try to count dots on Ticketmaster they always overestimate what is sold.

0C2F4D67-9F34-4786-BB57-EA5AE864666A.png

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I know this is the board that can't stand the football program, blah blah blah. I will say two things, one is a post I made on the football board in regards to this. Second is this fact, the NBE is not the one we left. There is no Syracuse, BC, or Pitt, three teams we enjoyed playing. I'd even toss in Louisville, but they we're a late add. So you'd be going back to a league that still includes trips to Xavier, Butler, and Creighton. Don't see that fully cutting this deficit.

Here's my other post.

So I have a few questions. How does UConn have this massive deficit but other G5 schools don't? How come we don't hear about ECU or Tulane or Ohio or Western Michigan having these deficits? They clearly don't make up for it in basketball or TV revenue? Definitely not in ticket sales. So why is this a problem at UConn and not elsewhere?

Second, where does the FCS football team play? Memorial is gone and there's no way they put games at The Rent and pay that rent money. Then what does the state do with the stadium? It would be empty outside the random soccer game here or there. Is the state willing to have that happen. Same with the XL Center?

Finally, how does joining the BE save the revenue issue. So we drop some travel costs and schollys for FB. However, the BE TV deal isn't huge and is up for renegotiation soon. Can't see how that fully cuts that revenue gap.

The issue shouldn't be the 8.5 or 5 million tags for football or basketball. It's the 22.1 million spent on non revenue sports. Why are we wasting money on new facilities that are costing us more money than they bring in? That's the head scratcher for me. I get the Title IX part but they don't need all those programs to make up for that.

Full disclosure, I only read 2-3 pages of this thread so sorry if some of this was discussed.

Reaction Score
Aaaaaa we are dead. Mid major .
Recruiting only way out. 2020 and 2019 key

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Aaaaaa we are dead. Mid major .
Recruiting only way out. 2020 and 2019 key

If good recruiting can save us, Wouldn’t that mean it’s on life support?

the Q

Reaction Score
I know this is the board that can't stand the football program, blah blah blah. I will say two things, one is a post I made on the football board in regards to this. Second is this fact, the NBE is not the one we left. There is no Syracuse, BC, or Pitt, three teams we enjoyed playing. I'd even toss in Louisville, but they we're a late add. So you'd be going back to a league that still includes trips to Xavier, Butler, and Creighton. Don't see that fully cutting this deficit.

This is a fair point.

But those schools are at least relevant in hoops.

Plus you still have nova, pc and St. John’s from the old days

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm in between. There are some people that will never go back to the games because the novelty is gone and we are stuck in a horrible league. I don't think we're going to see 40k strong week in week out anymore.

With that said, even if there is some semblance of fun, some semblance of success, an iota of any meaning in these games, I don't think it's a stretch to see upper 20s regularly.

I mean, I much prefer the Old Big East, but at the same token, I'd love to go to a game and actually see us compete with UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, and Temple, etc. Our traditional regional rivals ain't walking through that door, but there still can be meaningful games played at The Rent that would appeal to some of the base.
The Rent is a great place to see a game when there's a decent product on the field. Fair weather fans will hop back in. But our base has taken a hit and will take a long while to come back.

the Q

Reaction Score
Cpr mode.. they are about to call the time...

Seems a little dire considering the 2019 class already. But one more mass exodus line the 2016 class and you are probsbly right.

Reaction Score
Seems a little dire considering the 2019 class already. But one more mass exodus line the 2016 class and you are probsbly right.

We do not make the post season for 3 years straight and we are in really really bad shape

Reaction Score
We do not make the post season for 3 years straight and we are in really really bad shape

Ehh. I am far from optimistic about our future but this is a stretch. You were closer when you were focusing on recruiting.

the Q

Reaction Score

What is your idea of the right path?

Just curious. Cause I think right now DH is walking it

Reaction Score
Hurley is doing the right things....blowing air into the lungs, and pumping the chest...but eventually the patient must come around and breathe on their own.

As Hurley said, he won't have to coach the same way in year three and beyond.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Here's my other post.

Full disclosure, I only read 2-3 pages of this thread so sorry if some of this was discussed.

It's not the whole board, just a vocal minority that holds a candle out for the OBE days which is never coming back.

Reaction Score
Where are all the Herbst and Malloy apologists? Athletics played a big role generating excitement and interest in the University. As the athletic program thrived so did the academics. It will be intersting to see how the school ranks in 3-5 years. As painful as the Louisville mess was, losing out to Pitt is worse. Their athletic brand in Pittsburgh barely extends beyond the school perimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom