Is UConn dying? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Is UConn dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OUR HEAD COACH HAS TO PAY HIS OWN ASSISTANTS. Sustainable?
Spring football workouts ought to be starting in a few weeks. I for one am looking forward to it. Are you saying Dunn deserves another $150,000 raise next year too? It was a noble gesture by a guy who believes in this university and is trying to make up for what he did seven years ago.

Reaction Score
Spring football workouts ought to be starting in a few weeks. I for one am looking forward to it. Are you saying Dunn deserves another $150,000 raise next year too? It was a noble gesture by a guy who believes in this university and is trying to make up for what he did seven years ago.
Are you going to enjoy the spring game we can’t afford anymore?

Reaction Score
Are you going to enjoy the spring game we can’t afford anymore?
One of the alumni just donated one million to football, with more coming. The wealthier UConn benefactors will not let the football program die, nor will the students and parents who gladly pay the AD fees. 40,000 freshman applications are denied every spring. They are beating down the door to get into Uconn. Kids want to go here, and as long as that continues the AD and football will be ok. Edsall has 3 or 4 years to succeed, after that it does get dicey if they don't at least get to some post season bowls. By then Hurely will have improved men's basketball and hopefully ticket sales. The one bright spot right now that worries me is Women's Basketball, Geno is just a few years from retirement, and once he does that bright spot goes away.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big East has their niche...as basically a one sport league.

But they play the sport that is the most important college sport to fans in the northeast. A sport in which smaller private universities have been successful.

UConn, as a land grant state university, is neither fish nor fowl. A basketball oriented school like the Big East schools, yet offering the full panoply of sports of a major state university.

UConn, under different circumstances, would have been a nice fit with the ACC with its mix of basketball and football schools.

Maybe being closer to Duke, UNC, and Virginia on the football/basketball scale than to Clemson, FSU, and Miami.

It's water over the dam now....but who knows what will happen with Notre Dame, nor when

Reaction Score
This is probably the worst the football team could do. Except for the first game every other game you could get tickets for free or for 5 dollars and still sit 6 rows up from the field. So they basically made 100 dollars a game off of tickets sales.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
USA TODAY Sports
Go to this website and scroll down to #49. Click Connecticut and 12 years of revenue will show up. Go to the upper right hand corner and press the red arrow next to Revenues and Expenses will show up. It shows a $250,000 surplus in '17. In the revenue columns it shows School funds, whatever that is, have doubled in the last two years while student fees have actually dropped. Any of you forensic accountants want to have a go at these numbers? My personal opinion is UConn should continue to try and get a P5 invite. Make no small plans.

Reaction Score
In the Big East the tv cash for basketball will be similar to the AAC cash for football. The Big East can be a more fiscally responsible permanent spot, or it can be a more fiscally responsible holding spot while dreaming of a P5 invite.

The AAC puts about 90% value on football. Join the Big East and try to negotiate keeping football in the American. The American wants the football more than anything else anyway. Double dip both conferences.

In the Big East regional rivals return and travel decreases for all non rev sports plus hoops.

If the American “football only” deal can’t be negotiated successfully, like the Navy model, then the back-up is going Indy in football and cutting some costs. Cut back to MAC level costs and play Indy. It really should not diminish the chances of a P5 invite. You may end up with a better schedule.

As a side note, make the Big East deal contingent on a FS1 renewal for more $$$. Use the change in conferences as a rightful requirement to have a TV deal in place. IMHO, UConn hoops brings added value for the NE and NYC. (Much more than football can).

I’d welcome UConn home with open arms.

Reaction Score
NCAA:

Total Allocated: The sum of student fees, direct and indirect institutional support and state money allocated to the athletics department, minus certain funds the department transferred back to the school. The transfer amount cannot exceed the sum of student fees and direct institutional support that the department receives from the school. (Under NCAA reporting rules, any additional money transferred to the school cannot be considered part of the department’s annual operating revenues or expenses.)

Reaction Score
Just seeing this. Yikes, someone pass Benedict a defibrillator. Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue and start posting on the Boneyard.
Yeah ! I hear you Elvis, I think I'll roll a blunt.

Reaction Score
Some think that UConn would not be able to successfully negotiate with the AAC a football-only deal like Navy. Is this really a longer shot than a P5 invite?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Even now they're past their prime.
1547825884309.png

Haha, yep. Still out of your league though, I'd guess.

Reaction Score
Not directed at you @Walker11

You'd have to be brain dead to consider dropping to FCS. Who even comes up with this drivel?

I haven't actually read the article I just noticed it was based on the recent budget information.

I am in the camp of staying in the AAC until the next round. For now. Hoops in the Big East sure is tempting.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That’s an accounting trick though. That’s revenue they could have used elsewhere, instead of more capital investment they can’t afford the upkeep on.
No, it's targeted funds derived specifically from a class who derive a benefit from the capital outlay. That's just good planning. The argument that you could have levied tickets for, oh, I don't know, teachers salaries, is silly in that you can make it for any capital outlay.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
C'mon, enough of the reasonable common sense. Undeniably, W crew, M&W cross country, M&W track & field, M&W tennis, M&W swimming/diving, women's volleyball, softball, field hockey, and W lacrosse generate the lion's share of UConn athletics' royalty, licensing, advertising, and sponsorship revenues. ;)

They need to keep women’s crew for title ix purposes.

Just like kansas st does...

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score

good friend

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
@Psolo12 When you have UCONN on the TV is this what you see:

1547827974988.png

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I haven't actually read the article I just noticed it was based on the recent budget information.

I am in the camp of staying in the AAC until the next round. For now. Hoops in the Big East sure is tempting.

The author makes valid points on the grim financial situation the school is in.

But to suggest that dropping down to FCS, which simply eliminates maybe 20 scholarships, is some sort of financial windfall is idiotic.

The guy even goes on to say that dropping to FCS would increase ticket sales. Because as we know, if people aren't showing up for USF and Cincinnati they are going to be doing to see New Hampshire.

To me, the play is this:

1) Stick it out with the AAC as long as we can by cutting funding to everything besides football and men's basketball.

2) When were officially shot, hopefully hoops has returned to respectability (tournament team most years) and then make a pitch to the ACC as a hoop only program and drop football.

3) Same as #2 except substitute the Big East in lieu of the ACC.

Reaction Score
In the Big East the tv cash for basketball will be similar to the AAC cash for football. The Big East can be a more fiscally responsible permanent spot, or it can be a more fiscally responsible holding spot while dreaming of a P5 invite.

The AAC puts about 90% value on football. Join the Big East and try to negotiate keeping football in the American. The American wants the football more than anything else anyway. Double dip both conferences.

In the Big East regional rivals return and travel decreases for all non rev sports plus hoops.

If the American “football only” deal can’t be negotiated successfully, like the Navy model, then the back-up is going Indy in football and cutting some costs. Cut back to MAC level costs and play Indy. It really should not diminish the chances of a P5 invite. You may end up with a better schedule.

As a side note, make the Big East deal contingent on a FS1 renewal for more $$$. Use the change in conferences as a rightful requirement to have a TV deal in place. IMHO, UConn hoops brings added value for the NE and NYC. (Much more than football can).

I’d welcome UConn home with open arms.

This is honestly - the answer I think. But who knows how that goes, it'd be kind of a bizarre negotiation.

We bring *nothing* to the table in terms of football for them; but on the flip side I mean - look at our budget for one and two - they've been letting people have one foot in, one foot out already (Navy, Wichita). Why not us? And they def. can't afford to lose membership of any kind. Flip side is - we do that and what does everyone else try to do?

I think ultimately, that's the best fit for everyone. I just don't know how that'd work.

Reaction Score
I'm just glad my brother and I decided to go to UCONN's last final four. It was our 4th time going to it together(we only missed 1999 when I just had moved to the ATL). Logistically it can be a pain since he lives in Oakland and I'm in Atlanta. We still made it work after he had just got married and spent a lot of money for his wedding. I'm so glad I was able to convince him to do it as we both thought this could be our last chance due to conference realignment and how UCONN fit into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedRabbit84

Top Bottom