Is UConn dying? | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Is UConn dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe it’s in the PDF you posted but I’d love to see the liability they are sitting on for deferred maintenance.

That’s going to be the scandal. They propped up cashflow... I guarantee there is a maintanence bubble that is going to pop.

Doesn't appear to be a maintenance bubble - but "Operations of maintenance and plant" has increased from $64M in 2008 to $137M in 2017. The downside of adding a ton of new buildings. (page 57 shows a 10 year expense trend).

I have to assume that athletics shows up in "auxiliary expenses"...which total $228M (up from $135M in 2008).

Overall expenses are up over $400M/year in the past 10 years. Insane.

Reaction Score
And there are $446M of "deferred outflows" - but that appears to be mostly pension related.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Doesn't appear to be a maintenance bubble - but "Operations of maintenance and plant" has increased from $64M in 2008 to $137M in 2017. The downside of adding a ton of new buildings. (page 57 shows a 10 year expense trend).

I have to assume that athletics shows up in "auxiliary expenses"...which total $228M (up from $135M in 2008).

Overall expenses are up over $400M/year in the past 10 years. Insane.

Well they got banged in that audit about moving cash away from maintenence to other projects - so I just have been assuming they doubled down on that tactic.

They grew in physical buildings at the worst time. Shrinking state with shrinking high school students... as virtual settings become more viable.

Let’s build stuff we can’t afford to maintain!

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
seriously... we're sitting here worrying about how the lawn looks while the house burns to the ground. if we don't fix the root of the problem the problem will only get worse. Lipstick on a pig might impress your friends but your the one who has to wake up in the morning..

Reaction Score
seriously... we're sitting here worrying about how the lawn looks while the house burns to the ground. if we don't fix the root of the problem the problem will only get worse. Lipstick on a pig might impress your friends but your the one who has to wake up in the morning..

Exactly. The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup. America runs on Dunkin, where's the beef?!?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Exactly. The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup. America runs on Dunkin, where's the beef?!?
659076.jpg

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
We beat that season's national champions twice that year. That counts as being a contender.

Whoopee! For all of one season. The author leaves the impression that we were some kind of perennial powerhouse in DI-AA, which is laughable.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Crazy that this was my first thread ever and it blew up like this. Didn't expect that, although it is a very critical topic for UConn lovers to think about and discuss.

Reaction Score
UConn athletic department in 2018: generated $40 million in revenue, $81 million in expenses - Hartford Courant

Negative $41 million in revenue, $8.7 million of which is football (shocker) and $5 million of which is Men’s basketball. Also saw that $7.3 million went to team travel. Where are the guys that say we don’t want the big east? Maybe they can get the bill on this one.
"Is UConn dying?"..............no, I don't think so, and neither does Coach Hurley or his 2019 recruiting class.

Reaction Score
Dead on a national level unless P5 invite comes. Hoops may stay relevant for awhile and maybe we end up like Gonzaga even with no P5. We used to be next one in to P5 or in the final few, can we even say now that Cincy, Houston, UCF and maybe USF haven't jall jumped ahead of us? Will be worse once Geno retires.

Reaction Score
Dead on a national level unless P5 invite comes. Hoops may stay relevant for awhile and maybe we end up like Gonzaga even with no P5. We used to be next one in to P5 or in the final few, can we even say now that Cincy, Houston, UCF and maybe USF haven't jall jumped ahead of us? Will be worse once Geno retires.
If the Big Ten can take a dumpster fire like Rutgers, anything is possible for UConn, especially when you see how much more UConn can offer a P5 conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom