Is UConn dying? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Is UConn dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I almost feel bad for Benedict at time but saying it’s ok to pay Edsall the stupid bonuses because it’s good to incentivize performance... here are your bonuses for the worst team in the country because you scored first and lost 57-7.

Pay the guy 1.050 million and save yourself the embarrassment of defending that nonsense.

Reaction Score
I know this is the board that can't stand the football program, blah blah blah. I will say two things, one is a post I made on the football board in regards to this. Second is this fact, the NBE is not the one we left. There is no Syracuse, BC, or Pitt, three teams we enjoyed playing. I'd even toss in Louisville, but they we're a late add. So you'd be going back to a league that still includes trips to Xavier, Butler, and Creighton. Don't see that fully cutting this deficit.

Here's my other post.

Full disclosure, I only read 2-3 pages of this thread so sorry if some of this was discussed.

Playing Xavier, Butler, and Creighton in basketball will draw more fans than SMU, Wichita State, and Tulane. Also, those are shorter trips than going to Tulsa and the Texas swing.

Reaction Score
It's not the whole board, just a vocal minority that holds a candle out for the OBE days which is never coming back.

I think those who want to move back to the Big East are in the majority and the football fans are the minority, who are holding a candle for P5 invite that will never happen because the football program is a dumpster fire.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think those who want to move back to the Big East are in the majority and the football fans are the minority, who are holding a candle for P5 invite that will never happen because the football program is a dumpster fire.

This mentality is exactly why UConn athletics is where it is. Not the football program - terrible fans.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
This mentality is exactly why UConn athletics is where it is. Not the football program - terrible fans.

"mentality" has nothing to do with it, , that is such a cop out

Louisville is a better FB program with better facilities and in a better recruiting area plus will do anything to win

Can you imagine the ACC meetings? You really think they're turning UConn down because the fans are toooo meeeean?

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
"mentality" has nothing to do with it, , that is such a cop out

Louisville is a better FB program with better facilities and in a better recruiting area plus will do anything to win

Can you imagine the ACC meetings? You really think they're turning UConn down because the fans are toooo meeeean?

Our fanbase is so splintered that fans of one specific sport (again, unheard of in major college athletics) hate the university's other programs, and even root for them to be cannibalized. Do you seriously think that doesn't affect UConn's bottom line, and therefore its CR profile?

zls44

Reaction Score
Do you seriously think that doesn't affect UConn's bottom line, and therefore its CR profile?

I can state, with 100% certainty, that what fans say on a message board or twitter has absolutely zero impact on conference realignment.

***nobody*** in a position of power cares

Reaction Score
Yep, that's why UConn athletics is where it is. Has nothing to do with getting outmanuevered by Pitt, Cuse, Louisville, BC, Va Tech etc., lawsuits. Hiring Pasqualoni, Diaco, Edsall, having the worst football defense in D1 history etc.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
I can state, with 100% certainty, that what fans say on a message board or twitter has absolutely zero impact on conference realignment.

***nobody*** in a position of power cares

How is this not getting through?

This has nothing to do with message boards or Twitter. Fan attitudes are directly related to how much time and money they invest in the school. UConn's perception would've been vastly different if the MBB/WBB-only dweebs were more strategic with their resources these past ~20 years.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Yep, that's why UConn athletics is where it is. Has nothing to do with getting outmanuevered by Pitt, Cuse, Louisville, BC, Va Tech etc., lawsuits. Hiring Pasqualoni, Diaco, Edsall, having the worst football defense in D1 history etc.

Don't you have a temper tantrum about how today's margin of victory wasn't high enough to throw?

zls44

Reaction Score
How is this not getting through?

This has nothing to do with message boards or Twitter. Fan attitudes are directly related to how much time and money they invest in the school. UConn's perception would've been vastly different if the MBB/WBB-only dweebs were more strategic with their resources these past ~20 years.

UConn fans weren't making up for the fact that Louisville is a better football school, pal.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Why are there basketball fans and football fans at this school as two separate entities? It is truly baffling to me. If you like one sport over the other, fine. However it is crazy that UConn is not full of UConn fans, but instead of UConn basketball fans or UConn women's basketball fans, or UConn football fans. Why are people not just UConn fans??

This whole bash the football team because they suck and should be dropped is ridiculous. Yeah, they are not good. However, anyone rooting for them to close up shop baffles me. Cheer for your school, not just one part of the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Why are there basketball fans and football fans at this school as two separate entities? It is truly baffling to me. If you like one sport over the other, fine. However it is crazy that UConn is not full of UConn fans, but instead of UConn basketball fans or UConn women's basketball fans, or UConn football fans. Why are people not just UConn fans??

This whole bash the football team because they suck and should be dropped is ridiculous. Yeah, they are not good. However, anyone rooting for them to close up shop baffles me. Cheer for your school, not just one part of the athletic department.
Everyone cheers for all UConn sports, a lot of people think the football program is dragging everything else down. It's not that hard to figure out.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

It's not though. The majority want to be in the P5 and are willing to take the chance to get there.

Reaction Score
It's not though. The majority want to be in the P5 and are willing to take the chance to get there.

That chance is at the expense of our basketball program which is what our brand is. I would rather be in a good basketball conference than take the chance of being shutout in conference realignment yet again.

Reaction Score

UConn basketball wins seasons...while the football team maybe wins one game a year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That chance is at the expense of our basketball program which is what our brand is. I would rather be in a good basketball conference than take the chance of being shutout in conference realignment yet again.

It's not the conference man. It's just not. Why can't we win the conference? Why do other schools? Because they are better at it than us right now.

If you can't even win a s@#$%@# conference, why should you be in a good one?

We are floundering primarily because of our prior coach. Not because we don't play St Johns twice a year.

Reaction Score
It's not the conference man. It's just not. Why can't we win the conference? Why do other schools? Because they are better at it than us right now.

We are floundering primarily because of our prior coach. Not because we don't play St Johns twice a year.
We are floundering primarily because of our prior coach but there is also no getting around that the conference doesn't help matters.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We are floundering primarily because of our prior coach but there is also no getting around that the conference doesn't help matters.

Obviously it's a detriment.

But still, we can't beat the other schools in the conference who have the same albatross that we do.

We even have more advantages than most of them and we still can't do it.

Reaction Score

We won the conference tournament in 16 and National championship in 14. The conference has hurt our recruiting in a big way. Whether you want to admit it or not it has. If we were in a better conference we wouldn't be losing out to the likes of Illinois for recruits. We also have crazy travel multiple times a season that has an effect on our play. We need to get out of this conference and head back to the Big East where travel isn't as brutal.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We won the conference tournament in 16 and National championship in 14. The conference has hurt our recruiting in a big way. Whether you want to admit it or not it has. If we were in a better conference we wouldn't be losing out to the likes of Illinois for recruits. We also have crazy travel multiple times a season that has an effect on our play. We need to get out of this conference and head back to the Big East where travel isn't as brutal.

Why doesn't it hurt the other schools to the same degree? Why is Memphis attracting some of the top talent in the land as we speak? In a word, coaching.

And in case we forget, in 2016, we had a Top 10-15 recruiting class. Right now we currently sit at the same for next year.

Reaction Score
Obviously it's a detriment.

But still, we can't beat the other schools in the conference who have the same albatross that we do.

We even have more advantages than most of them and we still can't do it.
It's not the same for them, for almost all of them it's a step up from where they were. It's a huge step down for us, zero geographic or cultural fit, and an impediment in recruting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom