Is UConn dying? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Is UConn dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Most of the lost football fans are never coming back - short of some level of success that isn’t going to happen.
It's a 40k stadium. They can fill it again if they're not trotting a product that makes you want punch yourself in the face.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's a 40k stadium. They can fill it again if they're not trotting a product that makes you want punch yourself in the face.

Once you lose customers its really hard to get them back.

Reaction Score
Randy will go 15-0 next year. Mark my words. We’ve got Joe Pesci at DC.
DC is a sign of cultural improvement. As in we can attract employees from a solid organization. Simple HR stuff.

Reaction Score
It would take sustained winning and maybe a conference change to fill the Rent again.

Sustained winning in another conference will be a lot of work.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And an old boneyard meme.....which has kind of died....because we aren't playing in any games of consequence these days.
They played a game of consequence in the Rent this season. UConn beat URI 4-3 in one of the best football matches you'll ever see.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The Germans didn't bomb Pearl Harbor....

1547843911230.png

Reaction Score
I get that. But there are enough people to usher in new customers. Its gonna take some forward thinking and we know UConn athletics hasn't had that since Lew Perkins left but it can be done. I would start by trying to renegotiate the deal that gives them zilch from the concessions at games and then make the price of games as low as possible. They have to think differently.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I get that. But there are enough people to usher in new customers. Its gonna take some forward thinking and we know UConn athletics hasn't had that since Lew Perkins left but it can be done. I would start by trying to renegotiate the deal that gives them zilch from the concessions at games and then make the price of games as low as possible. They have to think differently.

I'm in between. There are some people that will never go back to the games because the novelty is gone and we are stuck in a horrible league. I don't think we're going to see 40k strong week in week out anymore.

With that said, even if there is some semblance of fun, some semblance of success, an iota of any meaning in these games, I don't think it's a stretch to see upper 20s regularly.

I mean, I much prefer the Old Big East, but at the same token, I'd love to go to a game and actually see us compete with UCF, Houston, Cincinnati, and Temple, etc. Our traditional regional rivals ain't walking through that door, but there still can be meaningful games played at The Rent that would appeal to some of the base.

Reaction Score
If UConn is dying, so is the entire AAC, as illustrated by these articles from the past year:

Cincy with $102 million deficit between 2014 and 2017:
Soaring subsidies: UC’s four-year athletic deficit up to nearly $102 million

45% of Houston's AD budget from student fees (but luckily they have that billionaire benefactor):
University of Houston faces a widening money gap to keep pace in big-time sports

40% of UCF's AD budget from student fees (which will probably increase once they stop making New Years' 6 bowls):
UCF athletics apply student fees in attempt to bridge financial handicap

Basically, the upper half of the conference is deficit spending or relying heavily on subsidies from other university funds like student fees in an attempt to remain attractive to the P5 if there is more expansion at the next window. To most of these schools, taking on water seems like the best plan while hoping and waiting for a lifeline from the P5. I hope for UConn's sake that lifeline comes (to us), but I'm preparing for another painful kick to the groin. As some have noted, as the revenue gap grows, the P5 may lose incentive to throw any more lifelines.

Reaction Score
If UConn is dying, so is the entire AAC, as illustrated by these articles from the past year:

Cincy with $102 million deficit between 2014 and 2017:
Soaring subsidies: UC’s four-year athletic deficit up to nearly $102 million

45% of Houston's AD budget from student fees (but luckily they have that billionaire benefactor):
University of Houston faces a widening money gap to keep pace in big-time sports

40% of UCF's AD budget from student fees (which will probably increase once they stop making New Years' 6 bowls):
UCF athletics apply student fees in attempt to bridge financial handicap

Basically, the upper half of the conference is deficit spending or relying heavily on subsidies from other university funds like student fees in an attempt to remain attractive to the P5 if there is more expansion at the next window. To most of these schools, taking on water seems like the best plan while hoping and waiting for a lifeline from the P5. I hope for UConn's sake that lifeline comes (to us), but I'm preparing for another painful kick to the groin. As some have noted, as the revenue gap grows, the P5 may lose incentive to throw any more lifelines.
Exactly this isn't unique to UConn. What compounds our situation is historic levels of suckage leading to empty venues. I'm sorry you just can't be this bad and bemoan attendance figures. Susan and DB chastising fans about supporting the programs in good times and in bad. , WITH THAT MESS.

Reaction Score
In the Big East the tv cash for basketball will be similar to the AAC cash for football. The Big East can be a more fiscally responsible permanent spot, or it can be a more fiscally responsible holding spot while dreaming of a P5 invite.

The AAC puts about 90% value on football. Join the Big East and try to negotiate keeping football in the American. The American wants the football more than anything else anyway. Double dip both conferences.

In the Big East regional rivals return and travel decreases for all non rev sports plus hoops.

If the American “football only” deal can’t be negotiated successfully, like the Navy model, then the back-up is going Indy in football and cutting some costs. Cut back to MAC level costs and play Indy. It really should not diminish the chances of a P5 invite. You may end up with a better schedule.

As a side note, make the Big East deal contingent on a FS1 renewal for more $$$. Use the change in conferences as a rightful requirement to have a TV deal in place. IMHO, UConn hoops brings added value for the NE and NYC. (Much more than football can).

I’d welcome UConn home with open arms.
For a basketball conference that is doing so well, I feel a tinge of something in this post, and others like it from BE guys. I don’t think the grass is necessarily so green. That said it still might be the closest you get to the old school BE (even if not that close).

I wish I could say it will be alright. I’ve been a fan of UConn’s work since they killed Brand & Co way back when. But this has the feel of a choose your own adventure where every ending is you dead and the only question is if your story lasts 20 pages or 2. I’m unsure the way forward, short of getting the FSU, ND, and Clemson presidents drunk and caught in a compromising position with a dead hooker. Now there’s a thought.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I wish I could say it will be alright. I’ve been a UConn fan since they killed Brand & Co way back when. But this has the feel of a choose your own adventure where every ending is you dead and the only question is if your story lasts 20 pages or 2. I’m unsure the way forward, short of getting the FSU, ND, and Clemson presidents drunk and caught in a compromising position with a dead hooker. Now there’s a thought.

11 pages in and we're finally getting somewhere. Bravo

Reaction Score
It's funny. Usually some people who advocate to drop football will tell us we can't drop other sports.
Not sure about your perception of humor, but dropping other men’s sports could be a consideration. Football? Clearly, need some wins, increasing evidence of ship turning positive, player development, enhanced recruiting, etc the next few years. No apparent humor exists with either topic.

Reaction Score
The reason the Big East has low ratings on FS1 is largely because of FS1. This is never mentioned in the viewership discussion. There is a reason no one watches Skip on FS1 but he had great numbers when on ESPN.

Correct, and it's all relative. FS1 is doing better with their current programming than they did with their last iteration.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Correct, and it's all relative. FS1 is doing better with their current programming than they did with their last iteration.

That's not saying all that much

Reaction Score
The reason the Big East has low ratings on FS1 is largely because of FS1. This is never mentioned in the viewership discussion. There is a reason no one watches Skip on FS1 but he had great numbers when on ESPN.
Don't buy this. UFC did so well on Fox networks they just signed a much bigger deal with espn. Fans find the content they want to watch no matter where it is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Look at the trends nationally.

Falling attendance, smaller stadiums, more luxury type spaces.

Rentschler is a good place to watch a game if you are interested in watching a game. But it’s just a basic cement bowl with metal bleachers.

Against an AAC schedule it’s going to be an uphill battle even if they are good. They need to be really good before you legitimately get 25+k in the seats.

Reaction Score
Deficits, sanctions, tape delayed games, headlines for all the wrong reasons... not looking forking great!

Reaction Score
Go

Good points. Just realized AD Dave has ALL his eggs on Hurley to fix this, but the thought of geno leaving before that happens could be a very loud death blow to end everything here and fall back to the old yankee conference days. AD is on thin ice as is right now.

You are certifiable. We will save money on salary when Geno retires and womens basketball did not lead us out of the Yankee conference. It will be what it is in every other Collegiate sports program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom