Is the B1G realistic? | The Boneyard

Is the B1G realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if there even looking to expand any more or if we're even in consideration if they do.how realistic is the B1G for uconn?

Reaction Score
In one word YES we are a prime candidate for the B1G but we need a partner to make 16 teams. With the exception of the SEC every conference is wrapped in a grant of rights so it's challenging. This thread belongs on the CR board

Reaction Score
114.gif

Reaction Score
Well, either all the decisions, actions, and lack of actions made by our administrators the last two years are complete head scratchers or UConn's move to the Big 10 is inevitable. Pick your side. I am on the side of UConn to the Big 10 in 2016.

Reaction Score
Yes, our profile is generally a good fit and we are probably the most attractive of all schools currently outside the P5. But we need somebody, anybody, to pull the trigger on further expansion.

The state of our football program isn't helping but it's not the primary obstacle. Rutgers sucks at football, and everything else for that matter, but it didn't stop them from getting an invite. Getting to bowl games would make us more attractive but we need to be able to make the argument that we will bring incremental revenue to the inviting conference.

No shortage of discussion on this in the CR board.

Reaction Score
All that matters is Football and market. We have neither

Reaction Score
No. Our football sucks..

Rutgers, Indiana anyone? UConn compares quite well academically with Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa, Penn State, Rutgers and even with the better schools like Michigan State, Wisconsin and Illinois.

Our athletic programs and facilities are as good or better than most of the B10. Getting our football act together would NOT be impossible.

Finally, there are 3 million TVs in Connecticut, over 10 million in New England and much of New York is in our viewing area.

We are better overall than the majority of B10 schools. So yeah, UConn has to be sold but it fits the B10 profile nicely.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn has beaten Louisville and Rutgers head to head within the last two years, so no, I don't think football is the driver unless you are a premier program like Nebraska. Market and politics are the biggest drivers. Our market is OK (Connecticut has the same population as Oklahoma, for example), and politically UConn has booted it all over the place. How our administration managed to let BCU box us out of the ACC is beyond me. Herbst should have locked down Tobacco Road until they would refuse to accept any alternative choices but Connecticut. Instead, they were mildly pro UConn until BCU had a tantrum, then we got boxed out.

I can see Syracuse being picked over UConn, but how Pitt and Louisville were selected ahead of us reflects how poorly UConn handled this. Pitt is in a dying city that is shrinking about 10% every 10 years, and Louisville is a freaking community college. The ACC should be running from Pittsburgh as a market as fast as it can, and Louisville is a joke. We can't blame the ACC for picking those two over UConn. UConn didn't make the sale.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
UConn has beaten Louisville and Rutgers head to head within the last two years, so no, I don't think football is the driver unless you are a premier program like Nebraska. Market and politics are the biggest drivers. Our market is OK (Connecticut has the same population as Oklahoma, for example), and politically UConn has booted it all over the place. How our administration managed to let BCU box us out of the ACC is beyond me. Herbst should have locked down Tobacco Road until they would refuse to accept any alternative choices but Connecticut. Instead, they were mildly pro UConn until BCU had a tantrum, then we got boxed out.

I can see Syracuse being picked over UConn, but how Pitt and Louisville were selected ahead of us reflects how poorly UConn handled this. Pitt is in a dying city that is shrinking about 10% every 10 years, and Louisville is a freaking community college. The ACC should be running from Pittsburgh as a market as fast as it can, and Louisville is a joke. We can't blame the ACC for picking those two over UConn. UConn didn't make the sale.
Football is the biggest driver and it always will be. We have the same TV market as Raleigh, San Diego, Nashville, and Kansas City. TV market isn't issue; football is. We need to start winning football games now, and we need to start winning big.

But I agree about Herbst and Manuel. They even were quoted back in 2011/2012 that they were not going to push anything and were going to let things play out then make their move. Something along those lines, but I'm a strong supporter of the idea that the administration dropped the ball.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
CAHUSKY said:
Then they will cease to exist in ten years?

Lol

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Our stadium has to be in large for b10?
That, and being part of the University League that all the other Big 10 schools are part of. I forget what it's called, but UCONN is ineligible to be part of the Big 10 as long as they are not members of whatever group that is. Is it the CIC (Committee of Institutional Cooperation)?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That, and being part of the University League that all the other Big 10 schools are part of. I forget what it's called, but UCONN is ineligible to be part of the Big 10 as long as they are not members of whatever group that is. Is it the CIC (Committee of Institutional Cooperation)?
AAU and Nebraska is not an AAU member.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score

Think it's AAU but I'm pretty sure Nebraska isn't part of it and they went after ND and they wernt part of it either.

IMO I feel the ACC suits uconn better,also the make up of teams in the conference makes more sense for uconn but I think that ship has sailed for now.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
In one word YES we are a prime candidate for the B1G but we need a partner to make 16 teams. With the exception of the SEC every conference is wrapped in a grant of rights so it's challenging. This thread belongs on the CR board

Who would you think that other team could be? And nobody's goes on the CR board so put it here.

Reaction Score

UConn is not part of the "Association of American Universities", which all Big Ten teams are.
These are the Top Public Research Universities in the United States.

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/choosingacollege/Tyler Phommachanh/big-ten.htm

You can see which schools are members here:
Private: http://collegeapps.about.com/od/choosingacollege/a/AAU-Private.htm
Public: http://collegeapps.about.com/od/choosingacollege/a/aau-public.htm

Not sure if UConn would be considered.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ah ok thanks guys! I did not know about Nebraska, and I'm not sure if UCONN is actually excluded/precluded from joining (the Big 10), or getting in invite because we are not part of it (the AAU), but it would seem that would be a great step to take if possible...

Reaction Score
Since I have been trying to sell UConn to the B1g for almost 3 yrs.
I think it's within the realm of possibility. I may not see it in my lifetime ,but it will happen.
Basketball played a roll in our non selection.
That is the retirement of our Hall of Fame Coach and his celebrity.
We as UConn fans see an unbroken pattern of basketball supremacy with Ollie.
That's a delusional view. It took JC 15 years to get to a FF and once there we won three times out of 4 trip..Even with a great coach the FF is quite an achievement.
KO is starting at a higher point than JC but there still is a learning curve.
UConn with KO is simply not UConn with a legend in the minds of decision makers. Perceptions are based on legend as much as fact..I won't address the non basketball issues since this is a BB board.
I will say if and when we are selected after 5- 10 years it will be considered one of the top CR moves.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There's nowhere to go. Our present is our future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom