Is the B1G realistic? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is the B1G realistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nebraska was a member of AAU when they joined the Big 10 and lost that status after they joined.
And they were ousted by Michigan and other B1G members, who had been trying to oust them since before they were invited.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nebraska was a member of AAU when they joined the Big 10 and lost that status after they joined.
True; but their status was in jeopardy prior to the acceptance into the B!G. The B!G did not make as big a sacrifice in their standards in accepting Nebraska as the ACC did in accepting Louisville.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling whether or not we ever get into the B1G hinges on whether they are content with Rutgers being their only foothold in the NYC market, and/or whether they care to branch out into New England. It will take a few years for that to shake out.

Obviously, how we do in football over the next 5 years makes a big difference, and whether we can attract the kind of audience in those markets that the B1G is looking for.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I have a feeling whether or not we ever get into the B1G hinges on whether they are content with Rutgers being their only foothold in the NYC market, and/or whether they care to branch out into New England. It will take a few years for that to shake out.

Obviously, how we do in football over the next 5 years makes a big difference, and whether we can attract the kind of audience in those markets that the B1G is looking for.
Can't have any more Thursday night games against Towson or UMass anymore.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

More important is the academic direction of the University. The closer UConn attains AAU status the more likely the B!G will be interested, and the more likely the ACC will get nervous. And then it becomes a situation who flinches first.

Reaction Score

First and foremost, It has to make sense for the other members of the Big Ten to want to add more members. I hate to be a downer because I am really hoping for an invite, but from what I have read many of the current members didn't want to add Rutgers and UMD. They would be happier with less so that FB can play each opponent at least once and keep geographical rivalries up. Delany has to be sold and sell the others that 16 teams makes sense. Then, all of the many other items have to fall in line for UConn such as media market, AAU acceptance(?), winning FB program, etc. I think that UConn would be high on anyone one of the P5's list of expansion but how UConn fits in is the biggest obstacle to overcome, regardless of the status of AAU and FB program. Just my opinion.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
First and foremost, It has to make sense for the other members of the Big Ten to want to add more members. I hate to be a downer because I am really hoping for an invite, but from what I have read many of the current members didn't want to add Rutgers and UMD. They would be happier with less so that FB can play each opponent at least once and keep geographical rivalries up. Delany has to be sold and sell the others that 16 teams makes sense. Then, all of the many other items have to fall in line for UConn such as media market, AAU acceptance(?), winning FB program, etc. I think that UConn would be high on anyone one of the P5's list of expansion but how UConn fits in is the biggest obstacle to overcome, regardless of the status of AAU and FB program. Just my opinion.
The new logo threads show that some people prefer change and some don't. Every change that took place in the BE's history had supporters and detractors.

The addition of Rutgers and Maryland to the B!G was to increase viewership on the East Coast boosting revenue for the B!G network, and to give support to Penn State by adding potential eastern rivalries. The average B!G college fan who just looks at football and basketball hates the additions. But they aren't responsible for the financial well being of the conference. They have the luxury of being myopic.

It will be the BOT, who will make the decision regarding UConn's fate. Some of them will consider finances in their decision and some will determine that the added revenues are not important relative to the loss of traditions. It all comes down to a subjective decision in the end unless the parameters are overwhelmingly favorable. If Texas or ND changed there elitist attitude, conferences that are stable would take them in an instant because they have an overwhelming number of things they can bring to a conference. A less stable conference can't be choosey. Hence the BE in the past and now the ACC have overlooked the pimping of ND in selecting them. But the PAC said no to Texas.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
UConn has beaten Louisville and Rutgers head to head within the last two years, so no, I don't think football is the driver unless you are a premier program like Nebraska. Market and politics are the biggest drivers. Our market is OK (Connecticut has the same population as Oklahoma, for example), and politically UConn has booted it all over the place. How our administration managed to let BCU box us out of the ACC is beyond me. Herbst should have locked down Tobacco Road until they would refuse to accept any alternative choices but Connecticut. Instead, they were mildly pro UConn until BCU had a tantrum, then we got boxed out.

I can see Syracuse being picked over UConn, but how Pitt and Louisville were selected ahead of us reflects how poorly UConn handled this. Pitt is in a dying city that is shrinking about 10% every 10 years, and Louisville is a freaking community college. The ACC should be running from Pittsburgh as a market as fast as it can, and Louisville is a joke. We can't blame the ACC for picking those two over UConn. UConn didn't make the sale.

Pittsburgh is probably doing better than Syracuse at this point. Both have reversed population declines. Low cost of living may be helping.

Reaction Score
The new logo threads show that some people prefer change and some don't. Every change that took place in the BE's history had supporters and detractors.

The addition of Rutgers and Maryland to the B!G was to increase viewership on the East Coast boosting revenue for the B!G network, and to give support to Penn State by adding potential eastern rivalries. The average B!G college fan who just looks at football and basketball hates the additions. But they aren't responsible for the financial well being of the conference. They have the luxury of being myopic.

It will be the BOT, who will make the decision regarding UConn's fate. Some of them will consider finances in their decision and some will determine that the added revenues are not important relative to the loss of traditions. It all comes down to a subjective decision in the end unless the parameters are overwhelmingly favorable. If Texas or ND changed there elitist attitude, conferences that are stable would take them in an instant because they have an overwhelming number of things they can bring to a conference. A less stable conference can't be choosey. Hence the BE in the past and now the ACC have overlooked the pimping of ND in selecting them. But the PAC said no to Texas.
The B1G basketball fans would have rather seen UConn, Maryland than Rutgers.
The football fans and I know plenty thought Rutgers was a private school.
Even New Jersey people don't have the same attachment to their school as Connecticut People.
If I wear a tee shirt that says Connecticut (not UConn) someone will come to me and discuss Basketball. Connecticut is associated with basketball . New Jersey with the Soprano's

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The B1G basketball fans would have rather seen UConn, Maryland than Rutgers.
The football fans and I know plenty thought Rutgers was a private school.
Even New Jersey people don't have the same attachment to their school as Connecticut People.
If I wear a tee shirt that says Connecticut (not UConn) someone will come to me and discuss Basketball. Connecticut is associated with basketball . New Jersey with the Soprano's
Delaney and those who run the B!G network vetted Rutgers based on viewership and viewership potential. It certainly had to be more based on potential than current interest imo. Rutgers is closer to NYC than UConn. It also is closer to Philadelphia. No college captures NYC or Boston for that matter. The B!G is hoping that by adding Rutgers to their conference excitement can be generated for them in NYC. I'm skeptical.

I think UConn is trying to develop the Fairfield audience and make a case that it has a New York presence. That is one of the two reasons for games at Bridgeport. The other of course is to raise interest in that county to bring in monies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom