Is SCar at UConn threadworthy? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is SCar at UConn threadworthy?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Down vote.
Just FYI, the Like button has other options including a down vote. I’m on my iPad and I just hold the link down until the options appear. I think with a PC you hover over the link

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Somewhat, but I mostly object to the poor mouthing most of all.

this matchup has only gotten worse for UConn from last season, IMO. It's a road basketball game against a quality opponent though so who knows what will happen.

Geno is doing a good job keeping them together --- though it's a pretty good illustration of just how much talent UConn continues to roster that they've not missed a beat record wise.

I think the way the game is officiated will make a big difference.

I expect Geno to pack it in inside and UConn to be physical.
I get exasperated when I see posts that Geno has a bunch of 5 star players. Geno is primarily playing:
  • #23 ranked Aaliyah Edwards
  • #33 ranked Aubrey Griffin
  • Dorka Juhasz, unranked in the US but the 12th ranked high schooler out of Europe
  • Unranked Nika Muhl, the #23 ranked point guard, meaning she was considered the 23rd best pg out of high school but not ranked overall
  • Unranked Lou Lopez Senechal
Off the bench he has
  • #5 Ayanna Patterson
  • #5 Amari DeBerry
  • Unranked Ines Bettencourt who was going JUCO before she was signed
Geno has done a masterful job recruiting players that buy into his system and have the personalities to mesh with the existing team. That’s why he doesn’t always pursue the top rated kids - he needs the right fit. Then he coaches them up.

Reaction Score
Lol, you’ve been talking about this game on and off for weeks in the guise of whether it would impact the games played before it. It makes me laugh a little bit that playing a severely depleted UConn squad is occupies so much territory in the forefront of your mind. This particular thread may be a tiny bit premature, there is still the Providence game to be played, but the people who are interested will post in it, and the people who aren’t won’t.
And some people who are interested will even post in it under the guise that they are not.

Reaction Score
BTW are we certain that Azzi won't be available for at least some PT in this game. As I understand it, she's "day to day." could we see her loosen up with a few minutes tonight?
Geno should hold her out. If she doesn’t play, it’s a loss affected by injury in committee considerations.

Reaction Score
I get exasperated when I see posts that Geno has a bunch of 5 star players. Geno is primarily playing:
  • Dorka Juhasz, unranked in the US but the 12th ranked high schooler out of Europe
  • Unranked Nika Muhl, the #23 ranked point guard, meaning she was considered the 23rd best pg out of high school but not ranked overall
Off the bench he has
  • #5 Ayanna Patterson
  • #5 Amari DeBerry
Geno has done a masterful job recruiting players that buy into his system and have the personalities to mesh with the existing team. That’s why he doesn’t always pursue the top rated kids - he needs the right fit. Then he coaches them up.
@HuskyNan Asking purely for curiosity. What source can a WBB enthusiast look at to evaluate European High School WBB Prospects?

Reaction Score
Wasn't Azzi sick? Wasn't Liv hurt? I know they played, but obviously not at 100%. And no Dorka or Aubrey
Yeah but in the Bahamas tourney earlier that year-UConn was at full strength

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
@HuskyNan Asking purely for curiosity. What source can a WBB enthusiast look at to evaluate European High School WBB Prospects?
You need to Google them with a variety of different keywords. Like the U.S., ratings services come and go, change their names, go premium, etc. it can be frustrating.

Years ago there was a rating service in Canada that I’m no longer able to find.

Reaction Score
You need to Google them with a variety of different keywords. Like the U.S., ratings services come and go, change their names, go premium, etc. it can be frustrating.

You may be referring to Crown Scout. They do an okay job, but this isn't a full time gig for the person who runs it. You have to be a paid subscriber to get any details on players.

Reaction Score
Yeah but in the Bahamas tourney earlier that year-UConn was at full strength

They weren't at full strength or healthy. I'm not making excuses or sayin the outcome would have been different. Azzi was hurt and the next day or 2 was wearing a walking boot. Ducharme had a bum hip the entire year and still no Aubrey.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

If there is no longer a rating service in Canada, how does Syracuse determine the quality of local players?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
BTW are we certain that Azzi won't be available for at least some PT in this game. As I understand it, she's "day to day." could we see her loosen up with a few minutes tonight?
No. She's been in an immobilizer for two weeks. IMHO, they will now evaluate the knee, determine healing process of the latest injury, test the stability of the joint (ick), continue rehab, work on strengthening leg muscles that have potentially atrophied, then work in basketball movements, increase her cardio, etc etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Potsdam ??
Bingo! Me, my wife, my father-in-law, two of my sisters, and two of my brother-in-laws went to school in Potsdam. To my dread, my daughter applied to some engineering school just north of Albany.

Reaction Score
I went to Clarkson.
Getting more off topic, so did most of the folks from my post. Was on campus last summer. Daughter liked school, but as a California kid, wasn’t sure she wanted to be in a town that small and far from a larger city. She applied and we’ll see.

Reaction Score
Just FYI, the Like button has other options including a down vote. I’m on my iPad and I just hold the link down until the options appear. I think with a PC you hover over the link
I didn't actually know that, thanks!

Reaction Score
Off the bench he has
  • #5 Ayanna Patterson
  • #5 Amari DeBerry
I mean it's not quite as highly rated as it's been in year's past put you have on the roster:

2022 #4, #5
2021 #1, #5, #15
2020 #1, #23 (Canada)
2019 #20

Muhl was playing with pros and was up there on international charts.

Juhasz was two time first team Big 10.

Lou was MAC player of the year.

I know the injuries hit the ranked players hardest, but with respect, the available roster at UConn would be an all time roster at many, many schools.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I mean it's not quite as highly rated as it's been in year's past put you have on the roster:

2022 #4, #5
2021 #1, #5, #15
2020 #1, #23 (Canada)
2019 #20

Muhl was playing with pros and was up there on international charts.

Juhasz was two time first team Big 10.

Lou was MAC player of the year.

I know the injuries hit the ranked players hardest, but with respect, the available roster at UConn would be an all time roster at many, many schools.
If all were healthy, sure, but #1Paige and #4 Ice won’t play this year and #5 Caroline Ducharme and #1 Azzi Fudd won’t be available for a while.

Reaction Score
If all were healthy, sure, but #1Paige and #4 Ice won’t play this year and #5 Caroline Ducharme and #1 Azzi Fudd won’t be available for a while.

My point was just that the roster was so stacked to start with that losing all those rated players still left a pretty stout lineup.

Geno or whomever holding it together with all that going on is truly impressive.

Healthy UConn would have been fearsome. Probably see it next year.

Reaction Score
How long is Ducharme supposed to be out? Of all the injuries this one has been difficult to grasp. Hope she is doing better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom