Is SCar at UConn threadworthy? | The Boneyard

Is SCar at UConn threadworthy?

Reaction Score
Well, I hope I'm not jinxing either team by starting this before both teams have lead-in games, but maybe the potential jinx is equally administered. UConn is playing a Quad 2 game and SCar is playing a Quad Three. Anyway, let's get this party started?

Non-UConn fans and PARTICULARLY Gamecocks: I recommend that you keep your discussion of the game on this thread and off the Main UConn board. . Logical and reasonable UConn fans are, of course, welcome to join in the discussion. Let's be civil and debate rather than argue.

Reminder: @HuskyNan will almost certainly shut this down during the game. If not, NO GAMETIME DISCUSSIONS.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reaction Score
I'd say SC should win this game due to their overall talent and depth but UConn will likely put up a great challenge. SC has bodies that UConn just doesn't have right now plus an experienced lineup that has been tested and knows how to win.

UConn of course is still coached by Geno and despite their lack of depth, their starting five is a force to contend with and has the potential to give SC fits. I figure the Gamecocks will win but stranger things have happened.

Reaction Score
Last year's game had Paige playing the entire game, Azzi around 15 minutes, plus 3 seniors that a couple weeks later were in the WNBA. And we still got our butt's kicked. Probably not going to go much better this time around with our two best players unable to play.

Reaction Score
I'll be watching to see Edwards and Amihere when they're both on the court more to compare their development. They were both highly touted prospects coming into the NCAA, however it seems that Edwards has surpassed Amihere this year. She's a lot more consistent and has developed a better outside shooting game. Still waiting to see this with Amihere, especially after how well she played during the FIBA world championships.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Last year's game had Paige playing the entire game, Azzi around 15 minutes, plus 3 seniors that a couple weeks later were in the WNBA. And we still got our butt's kicked. Probably not going to go much better this time around with our two best players unable to play.
We were also missing Dorka and Aubrey and nobody has improved their game(s) this season. Hmmm.
Bye.

Reaction Score
Lies, Damned Lies and , , , here ya go:

...........................................SCar/UConn (rounded)
Pts/game scored------- 82.1/81
Pts/gm opponents------46/59
FG%----------------------47/52
FT%----------------------69/76
Offens rebs. /gm--------19/16
Defense rebs/gm--------32/31
Turnovers/gm------------13/17
TOs forced/gm-----------16/15
Steals/gm-----------------8/7
asst/TO ratio------------- 1/1
Blocks/gm---------------10/4

Last edited:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Well, I hope I'm not jinxing either team by starting this before both teams have lead-in games, but maybe the potential jinx is equally administered. UConn is playing a Quad 2 game and SCar is playing a Quad Three. Anyway, let's get this party started?

Non-UConn fans and PARTICULARLY Gamecocks: I recommend that you keep your discussion of the game on this thread and off the Main UConn board. . Logical and reasonable UConn fans are, of course, welcome to join in the discussion. Let's be civil and debate rather than argue.

Reminder: @HuskyNan will almost certainly shut this down during the game. If not, NO GAMETIME DISCUSSIONS.

maxresdefault.jpg

I can set up a SC chat if there is interest.

Reaction Score
Lies, Damned Lies and , , , here ya go:

...........................................SCar/UConn (rounded)
Pts/game scored------- 82.1/81
Pts/gm opponents------46/59
FG%----------------------47/52
FT%----------------------69/76
Offens rebs. /gm--------19/16
Defense rebs/gm--------32/31
Turnovers/gm------------13/17
TOs forced/gm-----------16/15
Steals/gm-----------------8/7
asst/TO ratio------------- 1/1
Blocks/gm---------------10/4
Thanks for this. I don't understand the pessimism about how this game is going to go. There are some interesting match ups at the guard position, in addition to seeing what UConn will do to defend Boston. While I believe South Carolina wins, I don't get the sense that UConn won't be competitive.

Reaction Score

We were also missing Dorka and Aubrey and nobody has improved their game(s) this season. Hmmm.
Bye.

Civility is important to keep this thread open. No, that "BYE" doesn't cross the line, I'm just asking for posters to be aware of civility - even among posters from the same fanbase.
This isn't Uconn vs Vols - or SCar vs Mizzou.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Lol, you’ve been talking about this game on and off for weeks in the guise of whether it would impact the games played before it. It makes me laugh a little bit that playing a severely depleted UConn squad is occupies so much territory in the forefront of your mind. This particular thread may be a tiny bit premature, there is still the Providence game to be played, but the people who are interested will post in it, and the people who aren’t won’t.

Reaction Score
Lol, you’ve been talking about this game on and off for weeks in the guise of whether it would impact the games played before it. It makes me laugh a little bit that playing a severely depleted UConn squad is occupies so much territory in the forefront of your mind. This particular thread may be a tiny bit premature, there is still the Providence game to be played, but the people who are interested will post in it, and the people who aren’t won’t.
Guilty as charged.:oops: And there's still Kentucky too. That's why I said I hope I don't jinx either team..

For now, it's #1 vs. #2 NET. Who cares what the AP and Coaches think?

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score

Have you forgotten that you are posting on the UConn Women’s Basketball forum? I said bye because it seems that you placed caveats on which UConn fans will be welcomed to join your discussion. Especially when being civil (paraphrasing) is one of the Women’s Basketball forum rules.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Have you forgotten that you are posting on the UConn Women’s Basketball forum? I said bye because it seems that you placed caveats on which UConn fans will be welcomed to join your discussion. Especially when being civil (paraphrasing) is one of the Women’s Basketball forum rules.
They've actually posted on the General Women's Basketball forum. OP completely within their right to politely ask that this thread not be hijacked by overzealous UConn fans, but welcome the discussion from folks who want to wander to this side and politely discuss things.

I'm sure an over-the-top UConn thread is waiting to be made on the main forum.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this. I don't understand the pessimism about how this game is going to go. There are some interesting match ups at the guard position, in addition to seeing what UConn will do to defend Boston. While I believe South Carolina wins, I don't get the sense that UConn won't be competitive.
UConn is TIRED. THey have been playing a 5 player rotation the last two weeks and have more games than normal in the same time period because of the rescheduling. I think something like 5 games in 12 days. And those 5 players are banged up themselves and looking a bit gimpy as is. Plus, to match up well with South Carolina we need to exploit our advantage on the perimeter but thanks to injuries our backcourt is our weak point at the moment, specifically perimeter shooting.

So due to extreme fatigue the players are exhibiting and bad match up due to injuries, I don't see this game being interesting at all. Maybe it would be close with a healthy Azzi and CD but thats not a reality for next week so it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Yeah I’d have to agree even though I wish that wasn’t the case

Reaction Score
They've actually posted on the General Women's Basketball forum. OP completely within their right to politely ask that this thread not be hijacked by overzealous UConn fans, but welcome the discussion from folks who want to wander to this side and politely discuss things.

Or go way off topic about previous match ups. It's a good reminder.

Reaction Score
Yeah I’d have to agree even though I wish that wasn’t the case
South Carolina has a deep and talented team with most of the important players returning. We took our team from last year's beat down and removed Paige, Azzi, and 3 others who were essentially professional players. As much as I love this team, this is the kind of game that could get ugly fast.

CL82

Reaction Score

I’m sure the Providence game is being discussed on the main forum.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I’m sure the Providence game is being discussed on the main forum.
Like I said... the thread is waiting to be made.

Reaction Score
One potentially interesting this to watch in this game is Uconn this year has played their best basketball in the first quarter and recently faded heavily in the second quarter, and South Carolina has had slower first quarter of games and stronger second and third quarter of games.

I don't expect South Caroline to come out slowly against UConn but it might be interesting in the first quarter until the UConn fade happens and South Carolina goes up by 20.

Reaction Score
I wonder about "pressured experience" of UConn vs. "experienced depth of SCar.

Conventional wisdom would be that the Gamecocks experienced 5-10 players can wear down Uconn's limited number of players and have the starters finish them off in the fourth. BUT could it be that UCONN's starters have gotten in gameshape so that they are the more experienced tam at the end? Scar's starters are used to playing much under pressure in the last 1/8th of the game.

CL82

Reaction Score
Guilty as charged.:oops: And there's still Kentucky too. That's why I said I hope I don't jinx either team..

For now, it's #1 vs. #2 NET. Who cares what the AP and Coaches think?
Not me, particularly. I’m a big believer that the only game that matters is the next one, and the only ranking that matters is the last one.

I have to smile a little bit about your persistent enthusiasm about this game. Don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to it as well, but given that Connecticut has some thing approaching, maybe 80 points per game, maybe more, sitting on the bench unavailable to play and given that this current incarnation of the Gamecocks is actually being considered as the Phase 5 version of the Avengers for Marvel, my expectations for the game are somewhat dampened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom