Is SCar at UConn threadworthy? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Is SCar at UConn threadworthy?

Reaction Score
Beating a team, refs, and the crowd is tough. Proud of how SC played despite those circumstances. I’ve never seen a coach physically throw an object at a ref and not get tossed. On any level, let alone College. Oh well. I think this game mentally prepared them for what’s to come in March. On a neutral court with more SC fans and different refs, SC should win by more if there’s a rematch.
You thought the refs were against you? Really

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
It was a good game.

South Carolina is a well coached team with incredible depth. I think it will be very difficult for anyone to beat you this year. Congrats on the win.
Agreed. I walked away impressed with Connecticut. Gritty team, definitely one of the top teams in the country, not top 5 either… more like 2 or 3.

Reaction Score
There were some pretty terrible calls in this game on both sides. The refs totally missed the Johnson-Cooke handoff which should have been a turnover, and the technical foul on Cardoso was one of the weakest I’ve seen all-time in college ball.
Slam the ball down like that and don’t control it = automatic tech

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Good game from UConn. I knew it wasn't going to be a blowout.

Edwards has improved tremendously. Lopez Senechal was mostly held in check today (she can really go off if you let her) but her shot making ability is super impressive. Connecticut really found a diamond in the rough with her.

I saw posts earlier in the week about UConn would only score in the 40s-50s... or that SC would win by 15+... I knew that wasn't gonna happen. I had to watch this game cause the game I wanted to see was blacked out in my area.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I saw posts earlier in the week about UConn would only score in the 40s-50s... or that SC would win by 15+... I knew that wasn't gonna happen. I had to watch this game cause the game I wanted to see was blacked out in my area.
That was based on two games where the Huskies’ butts dragged around the court to eke out wins over teams they should have dominated. The team looked whipped. Fans thought UConn was just too gassed to challenge the Gamecocks

Reaction Score
Throwing a water bottle practically at a ref SHOULD equal an automatic ejection, too.

The timing of the technical on Kardoso was highly suspect. Highly.

Do not care in the slightest if that upsets you.
Geno got a technical when he threw the bottle if he got tossed wouldn’t have given SC any more free throws
Kardoso slammed the ball didnt control it she got what she deserved
Never said i was upset never

Reaction Score
I think the key to the game was Johnson clamping down on Muhl. She was killing Fletcher in the first quarter. Muhl pretty much scored all her points on Fletcher. Raven kept Muhl from initiating the offense and did not have a single turnover.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Beating a team, refs, and the crowd is tough. Proud of how SC played despite those circumstances. I’ve never seen a coach physically throw an object at a ref and not get tossed. On any level, let alone College. Oh well. I think this game mentally prepared them for what’s to come in March. On a neutral court with more SC fans and different refs, SC should win by more if there’s a rematch.

Some of the "and 1s" they were getting was ridiculous. Cardosa can't help that she is big. Going straight up with her hands and still getting called for the foul. Seems like they were letting them play on the perimeter but ticky tack in the fourth quarter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The initial guesses about the game turned out to be more or less accurate. SC has a substantial advantage on the boards and scoring in the paint, but UConn has a substantial advantage in the backcourt and on the wing. This is going to be the same interplay in the next meeting.

Fletcher Cooke and Johnson are not really competitive with Muhl Lopez Senechal and Griffin. If Ducharme and Fudd is ver return, this will only be even more exaggerated. On the positive side, Cardoso has really grown her game and she was already pretty good two years ago. Next year, if Boston Saxton and Amihere have moved on, SC will be solid with Cardoso Feagins and Watkins.

Reaction Score
The initial guesses about the game turned out to be more or less accurate. SC has a substantial advantage on the boards and scoring in the paint, but UConn has a substantial advantage in the backcourt and on the wing. This is going to be the same interplay in the next meeting.

Fletcher Cooke and Johnson are not really competitive with Muhl Lopez Senechal and Griffin. If Ducharme and Fudd is ver return, this will only be even more exaggerated. On the positive side, Cardoso has really grown her game and she was already pretty good two years ago. Next year, if Boston Saxton and Amihere have moved on, SC will be solid with Cardoso Feagins and Watkins.
Johnson “not really competitive” with Muhl? What game did you watch?

Reaction Score
As a unit the poster was talking about. 47 points to 24 points isn’t particularly competitive. Even if Caroline and Azzi don’t go back to their pre injury scoring you can probably count on another 20 points being thrown in between the two of them and I don’t know if any new guards South Carolina might add before UConn and South Carolina play again. Do you?

Reaction Score
Yes, as a unit they weren’t competitive, as @hoopsnloops32 said. But even comparing Nika to Rayven it still wasn’t even. Rayven had 7 assists, which was a highlight for her. But she shot 33% (4-12) and Nika shot 66%. And Nika was a focus of the SC defense — which was a good tactic, btw.

It turned out that Lou was more than able to take up the slack at pg. And speaking of Lou, she owned Beal, Kierra and Rayven. And Griffin at the wing too.

Two years ago, Beal looked like she’d grow into another DiDi Richards. She got torched by Paige that season when she was assigned to face guard her. It seemed like she’d gotten stronger and smarter in the meantime, and watching her this season, albeit against weaker competition, she looked strong. Today it was clear that she was not able to stop Lou or Aubrey

It’s a similar story for Zia. She’s been on a tear offensively lately, but it’s mainly been against cream puff opponents. Today, she got Muhl-ed.

Still, the fact is Boston Saxton and Cardoso were enough to be the difference in the game. They shut down Dorka and couldn’t contain Edwards. But they dominated the boards, and Boston and Cardoso couldn’t be contained on offense.

I love that this was such a competitive hard fought game. I hope they meet again in the FF or the NC game.

Reaction Score
Yes, as a unit they weren’t competitive, as @hoopsnloops32 said. But even comparing Nika to Rayven it still wasn’t even. Rayven had 7 assists, which was a highlight for her. But she shot 33% (4-12) and Nika shot 66%. And Nika was a focus of the SC defense — which was a good tactic, btw.

It turned out that Lou was more than able to take up the slack at pg. And speaking of Lou, she owned Beal, Kierra and Rayven. And Griffin at the wing too.

Two years ago, Beal looked like she’d grow into another DiDi Richards. She got torched by Paige that season when she was assigned to face guard her. It seemed like she’d gotten stronger and smarter in the meantime, and watching her this season, albeit against weaker competition, she looked strong. Today it was clear that she was not able to stop Lou or Aubrey

It’s a similar story for Zia. She’s been on a tear offensively lately, but it’s mainly been against cream puff opponents. Today, she got Muhl-ed.

Still, the fact is Boston Saxton and Cardoso were enough to be the difference in the game. They shut down Dorka and couldn’t contain Edwards. But they dominated the boards, and Boston and Cardoso couldn’t be contained on offense.

I love that this was such a competitive hard fought game. I hope they meet again in the FF or the NC game.
Regardless of how Raven shot she shut Muhl down after she got off to that hot start against Fletcher. She also had 14 points, 7 assists to 0 turnovers.

Reaction Score
Regardless of how Raven shot she shut Muhl down after she got off to that hot start against Fletcher. She also had 14 points, 7 assists to 0 turnovers.
Yes, as I said in my post. I’m glad you saw what I saw. She was the highlight of SC’s backcourt. But it doesn’t outweigh the overall discrepancy between the backcourts. I thought it was a good plan to face guard Nika. Unfortunately, it just unleashed Lou, who was more than able to take up the slack at pg.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

What? Lol

Reaction Score
What? Lol

Hahaha!!! Lol indeed. If that's what I'd said, we'd all be laughing. But I already conceded that Johnson was the highlight of the SC backcourt. You guys seem really defensive about this victory, deploying rhetorical tricks to fend off any scrutiny... as if you found it somehow worrisome. I wonder why. I really hope it doesn't disturb you too much if Fudd is playing in the rematch.

Reaction Score
Hahaha!!! Lol indeed. If that's what I'd said, we'd all be laughing. But I already conceded that Johnson was the highlight of the SC backcourt. You guys seem really defensive about this victory, deploying rhetorical tricks to fend off any scrutiny... as if you found it somehow worrisome. I wonder why. I really hope it doesn't disturb you too much if Fudd is playing in the rematch.
To be fair, if you asked anyone before the season a backcourt of Cook, Beal and Johnson should be far superior to Lou, Muhl, and Griffin. I can see why the backcourt advantage UConn showed was concerning without Fudd and Caroline, even with a victory. Hopefully they’ll be back if we are lucky enough to have a rematch as I think it will change the complexion of the game. You can’t face guard all 5 of them.

Reaction Score
What you fail to see is that this was an obvious off night for Zia Cooke. Chances of her shooting like that if they meet again at a neutral site is slim to none. Also I suspect Bree Beal will not get 2 quick fouls, something that has not happpened to her all year, forcing her to sit the entire first half. Bree Hall will also pobably get more time the next game. Yes you may add Fudd to the backcourt and Ducharme at the wing for the next game, but the question then will be if they are the same defensively as the group you had out there today. I can assure you that we have two more capable bigs that will see time away from Hartford in a game against Uconn. Dawn played it close to the vest with the bigs rotation today because we were on the road in a crazy new environment. As far as backcourt, Raven had not issue guarding Muhl and outplayed her. I did like Lou for Uconn, but Beal getting more time will have something to say about that. Look forward to another match Fudd or no Fudd. We have played her before twice with Paige. We can play many ways and I hope it will be a good game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom