• Maybe

Votes: 22 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ha ha...I think he meant losing from a patient’s point of view. One is just a game, the other is life or death. Should have included the context.

quote-some-people-think-football-is-a-matter-of-life-and-death-i-assure-you-it-s-much-more-serious-than-bill-shankly-168350.jpg

Reaction Score
No... I'd take Cheryl Miller in her prime. A more physically talented and complete player IMO. Much, much better scorer and rebounder. But this is all just opinions isn't it. No way to prove anything except head to head...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
If that Cali girl decided to be a Huskie she could have matched Breanna's 4 NCs and all of you woudl sing her praises. She chose to go one state up to a school that has never won anything in the NCAAs and try to do it there. She wanted her family to drive to her games and go to school with her twin brother. If she does complete the "unfinished business" with the NC, I hope you all recognize the greatness we have witnessed, like those UConn legends you so admire.

I can't have an informed opinion about the college GOAT because I only started following closely in 12/13. I can only opine on the GOAT since then.

It's Breanna Stewart. It's not even close. 4 NCs, 4 Final Four MOP, 2.5 NPOYs (3x AP/Naismith, 2x Wade/Wooden).

Yes, her supporting cast was great. But Stewart was the reason that even the best opponents struggled to get within 20 points of UConn.

It's a better question as to who the 2nd best player was over the last 8 seasons. Personally, I can't put Ionescu ahead of Wilson or Griner until she wins a ring. Actually, Wilson is a great comp because like Ionescu she joined a rising program without a history of big-time success and transformed them into a national power. Wilson got her ring in her final year. Perhaps Ionescu will match that, but until then I've got her no higher than 4th in my rankings of the best players since I've been a fan.

P.S. - Since the Plum discussion was so fun, here's another one. EDD taking Delaware to the Sweet 16 is more impressive to me than anything Ionescu has done yet in her college career.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't have an informed opinion about the college GOAT because I only started following closely in 12/13. I can only opine on the GOAT since then.

It's Breanna Stewart. It's not even close. 4 NCs, 4 Final Four MOP, 2.5 NPOYs (3x AP/Naismith, 2x Wade/Wooden).

Yes, her supporting cast was great. But Stewart was the reason that even the best opponents struggled to get within 20 points of UConn.

It's a better question as to who the 2nd best player was over the last 8 seasons. Personally, I can't put Ionescu ahead of Wilson or Griner until she wins a ring. Actually, Wilson is a great comp because like Ionescu she joined a rising program without a history of big-time success and transformed them into a national power. Wilson got her ring in her final year. Perhaps Ionescu will match that, but until then I've got her no higher than 4th in my rankings of the best players since I've been a fan.

P.S. - Since the Plum discussion was so fun, here's another one. EDD taking Delaware to the Sweet 16 is more impressive to me than anything Ionescu has done yet in her college career.
You had me til the EDD P.S. thing. Sabrina seeks the bright lights and highest level of competition, and prioritizes basketball above all else. EDD is a more balanced individual with sensible and well-adjusted priorities, which - like it or not - is not the GOAT formula (in any field).

Reaction Score
Today is a more competitive environment than the UConn glory years. More parity and greater spread nationally in talent. NC’s are a measure of team wide talent and level of competition. But whatever...
A better reply to this question might be “No (this person) was because she (did this)”. But it’s okay fandom is about opinion and loyalty. All I know is NO D-1 player has ever done what she has done. So there’s that....

It’s not much more competitive, and there are a half dozen women with multiple national POY trophies, something she’s never done.

Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

The question was asked directly to Geno at the end but he sidestepped any historical comparisons. Hard to imagine he would put her on the same level as multiple NC champion winners though.

Reaction Score
The question was asked directly to Geno at the end but he sidestepped any historical comparisons. Hard to imagine he would put her on the same level as multiple NC champion winners though.
That's fair and balanced, so the only players eligible to be a "GOAT" played for UConn or Tennessee or before 1992.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Tough call. I am willing to be non-committal (maybe) until I see if she can win the Championship and how she performs in those moments. OR may have to face Baylor and SC in the FF and if she pulls it out, I would say yes.

That's fair and balanced, so the only players eligible to be a "GOAT" played for UConn or Tennessee or before 1992.

Actually, as can be seen by my quote, I was more noncommittal since I can see the possibility of being the GOAT in a team sport when your team did not win multiple Championships (jmho). I was just saying based on how Geno avoided the answer and the way he is more measured than a fan who has seen GOAT after GOAT and 4 time NC that he would take that aspect very very seriously.

Again, I do nor know who put 'fair and balanced' on my account. :oops:

Reaction Score

Kobe “I haven’t seen somebody be able to approach the game the way that she approaches it on a collegiate level. The system that Oregon runs, and how she handles the ball and facilitates opportunities for her teammates, I haven’t seen that. Her competitive spirit and her toughness reminds me a lot of Diana (Taurasi)."

Reaction Score
"Her competitive spirit and her toughness reminds me a lot of Diana (Taurasi)."

Kobe recognized the gold standard and GOAT.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
GOAT = DT
DT is overall, including all levels but the OP was asking about college only, I would consider giving the nod to Breanna, followed by DT and several others Sbrina is a great player but not the GOAT in college. Winning has to be considered.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really fun discussion and Sabrina has put up phenomenal numbers but in basketball phenomenal numbers by themselves do not really speak to GOAT status as in team games statistics have as much to do with teammates as with system played as with player skill AND with the team they join as a freshman when looking at college career and games played and minutes played/game. Paris was (is?) the NCAA leader in double doubles and consecutive double/doubles but was often left in the game by her coach to get that record when the result was long since decided. She was phenomenal in college but her stats were helped by her coach.

On Diggers competitive environment argument, I agree that the number of women pursuing BB may have leveled off/fallen even, but I think the skill and dedication of the top end has probably increased and the number of schools that are focused on the sport and dedicated to creating successful programs has increased. I would say that there are more quality programs and quality coaches with quality players/teams than in the early 2000s. While there is an ebb and flow to the top 10 and top 25, there is also a wider universe of top 5 instead of it being 'the usual suspects' at the FF.

When looking at Uconn players the system played is very important in terms of statistics - they often lead the D1 in assists as a team, but their highest assists in a season or career by an individual player doesn't even register on the NCAA record book (Sue Bird 231 and Moriah 659) because everyone is expected to pass the ball. Same goes for scoring. Minutes played per game for Uconn DT 4218/144 games - 29.3, Moore 4683/154 - 30.4, Stewart 4256/152 - 28.0. (Sabrina to date 4812/139 - 34.6, Plum 5196/139 - 37.4)

Reaction Score
Is Ionescu even the best in her state?
Oregon State fans claim to put Pivec over her... Is Pivec GOAT status too?

Reaction Score
Is Ionescu even the best in her state?
Oregon State fans claim to put Pivec over her... Is Pivec GOAT status too?
I live in Corvallis and go to both teams games when I can. Mik Pivec will be a much better doctor than Sabrina, but Sabrina is going to be the highest paid WBB player (when you include endorsement and Nike money) than any WBB player ever. That's even if she doesn't win the NC. If she does....well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom