• No.

Votes: 132 76.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 22 12.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Now she has the clean sweep with the Honda Sports Award announced yesterday. She joins only Maya and Breanna as the only players to win the 7 WCB awards: AP POY, Wade Trophy, Naismith Trophy, USBWA POY, Wooden Award, Honda, and Senior Class Award. Breanna and Sabrina also both won the ESPN.com POY as they hadn't started that award in 2011 (although Maya did win the ESPY for Top Female College Athlete in 2011). I am sure Sabrina will get her share of the Top College athlete awards in 2020 when they get handed out.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Now she has the clean sweep with the Honda Sports Award announced yesterday. She joins only Maya and Breanna as the only players to win the 7 WCB awards: AP POY, Wade Trophy, Naismith Trophy, USBWA POY, Wooden Award, Honda, and Senior Class Award. Breanna and Sabrina also both won the ESPN.com POY as they hadn't started that award in 2011 (although Maya did win the ESPY for Top Female College Athlete in 2011). I am sure Sabrina will get her share of the Top College athlete awards in 2020 when they get handed out.

Hasn't won Honda Broderick Cup which both Stewart/Moore won.

Reaction Score
Hasn't won Honda Broderick Cup which both Stewart/Moore won.
Correct...hasn't been given out for 2020 along with several other National College Athlete of the Year awards. Last year's winner was UCLA's Rachel Garcia, a softball player. Sabrina will be the nominee in the basketball category for all those awards. She also has been nominated for the Sullivan Award (for the best amateur athlete in the US) which is being given out next Monday. Maya didn't win the Sullivan, but Breanna shared it with Keenan Reynolds, one of the two times in the 90 year old award they gave the Sullivan award to 2 athletes.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"The reigning NCAA national player of the year and the WNBA's No. 1 overall pick, Sabrina Ionescu, has signed a multiyear endorsement deal with Nike. Financial terms were not disclosed." With one stroke of the pen, Ionescu became an instant millionaire.

"Ionescu earned an undergraduate degree at Oregon in general social sciences, along with a minor in legal sciences, in just 36 months on campus. During her senior year, she pursued a master's degree in advertising and brand responsibility from Oregon's School of Journalism and Communications, where she zeroed in on the dynamics surrounding the lucrative athletic industry that awaited her."

She's going to make a lot of $$$ during her professional playing career..........and beyond. Which way will she go after retirement, grab a whistle & clipboard or enter the world of sports broadcast media? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Sabrina wins the 90th Sullivan award to the nation's best amateur athlete.

Hmm...Kathryn Plummer from Stanford volleyball missed part of the season but she just destroyed the field in the Tournament. As good as Ionescu was, she was not dominant in the way Plummer was.

Reaction Score
Hmm...Kathryn Plummer from Stanford volleyball missed part of the season but she just destroyed the field in the Tournament. As good as Ionescu was, she was not dominant in the way Plummer was.
Plummer won the previous Sullivan award. There has never been a 2 time Sullivan winner.in the 90 year history.

Reaction Score
I remembered you once said you don’t come here looking for an argument but every time I see your name you feel the need to turn every city versatile into why Sabrina and Oregon are better. If you look all I did was give proper recognition to the co-winner something nobody else did I didn’t mention UConn or knock Sabrina so let me know how I turned the screws

Reaction Score
I remembered you once said you don’t come here looking for an argument but every time I see your name you feel the need to turn every city versatile into why Sabrina and Oregon are better. If you look all I did was give proper recognition to the co-winner something nobody else did I didn’t mention UConn or knock Sabrina so let me know how I turned the screws
Don't even know what "screw turning" means. I appreciated you added the fact of the U of Iowa "co winner" in support of my original post which mentioned Breanna won the 86th award along with the other bball players (male & female) who won this prestigious award. At that time I did not mention either Breanna or Sabrina shared the award. Considering only 7 of the 90 awards were given to bball players, I thought mentioning them all might be useful for folks who might read the post.

When you replied with the added fact, I also replied in kind with no judgment. Another interesting observation I had was that there have only been three time co-winners were given out for this 90 year award and all 3 involved women college bball players. Breanna & Sabrina are the only 2 who shared it with a male athlete.

Reaction Score
I understand UConn folks think Sabrina should have had a national championship, but not a single UConn legend did what Sabrina did for her school when it comes to winning, which was lead a team which hadn't been to the NCAA tourney for 15 years to two straight Elite 8's her Freshman & Sophomore years, then their 1st Final 4 last year. Everyone expected them to be a 1 seed this year for the 1st time ever and get to the Final 4. Vegas odds had them winning it all, but the games weren't played so she can't count that championship for the ultimate "unfinished business". As for the WNBA, we'll see how she does. Still my guess when the Liberty make her #1 overall and Under Armour or Nike sign her to the richest shoe deal for a rookie coming out of college, those folks probably don't think she's "overrated".

I take this discussion as "college only." The "college only" GOAT.

What you don';t seem to understand is that most UCONN fans are right. You're bringing up irrelevant points about Oregon/ and your conference basketball and trying to use that in some twisted way to justify it for national basketball. What's more important-- conference championships or National Championships?

Further, not one player in NBA History did what Oscar Robertson did for as long as he did it and he is not in a logical discussion for GOAT. Just like Sabrina-- Oscar did accomplish something sensational with all those triple doubles for so long unlike any other player in NBA History. It doesn't make him GOAT. So using her stats to make any claims "unlike anyone else" has some meaning but not a decisive one when comparing GOATS.

Further, you're bringing up awards as if they have this "gotcha" meaning. Don't you understand why some might scoff at Individual awards that you want to cite (when you try to tie in Sabrina with Maya and Stewie.)? We've seen the absurdity of individual awards in the past. -Maybe you are too young or didn't pay attention until Oregon came alive. But look at DT not getting POY - instead they gave it to Beard. Look at the years in the NBA where Jordan didn't win MVP instead they gave to it Barkley or Malone. Or recent years with LeBron. I can understand tying these awards to a degree but it seems like you want to equate popularity contest awards to winning. And you seem to want to try to tie in Oregon Basketball and Conference Championships to National championships. That's ludicrous.

Instead what some have been trying to explain is that winning it all counts for the most. And winning counts a lot. For example this year your team was stacked - stacked yet in your peak year - at the peak of Sabrina's powers you allowed yourself to get beat twice. Now it's not that big of a deal - but your team this year was stacked. One loss vs two you could've gotten maybe #1 overall. It';s just a slight difference between super great players which Sabrina is too. But more importantly look at what happened to Sabrina when she went to the Final Four when competing against the best of the best which is where GOATS need to make their bones:

OFC frosh year it's excusable. Learning the ropes. Her soph year she had a very good game vs ND despite shooting 9-24 but what about her jr year? 6-24 from the floor vs Baylor. The point is-- when GOATS go against the best they can't be stopped. Maya was a scorer and was never stopped in big NCAA Tourney games other than struggle her frosh year a bit vs Stanford. In addition her defense was instrumental in 2009-2010. Stewie was a combo of scorer and defender that was super when she went against the best of the best.

Its unfortunate Sabrina didn't have a sr NCAA Tourney year to see what she could've done- but she did allow her stacked team to lose twice. it's understandable for the GOAT on stacked teams if they lose it's on buzzer beaters. Oregon was "beaten" by lesser teams TWICE.

Bottomline is that when you are talking GOAT- the world doesn't revolve around a team's history, or it's conference as much as it revolves around NATIONAL champions as the most important. And while awards are nice there has to be a note they can also be popularity contests when you discount other players as pointed out by DT not being named best player as well as Jordan and LeBron. . Another important point is that stats can be misleading as pointed by the Oscar Robertson example. And another point to rehash is that -- "was the superstar stopped for what they do best?" So what we could see from Sabrina - her last year in NCAA Tourney going against "the best" she shot 6-24. For what Maya and Stewie and DT did as upperclassmen (and their soph year) what they did best going against the very best - their game was not stopped. That's the difference between being a GOAT vs being "just" "GREAT." Which Sabrina was-- "great."

And a final point while you are heaping great praise deservedly with the great Sabrina which she was. Graves is an excellent coach too. He helped getting talent. It isn't all Sabrina for Oregon. Take away Sabrina and if we count popularity contests then you have a couple other big time players you (Oregon) haven't had in the past on 1 team too, right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I take this discussion as "college only." The "college only" GOAT.

What you don';t seem to understand is that most UCONN fans are right. You're bringing up irrelevant points about Oregon/ and your conference basketball and trying to use that in some twisted way to justify it for national basketball. What's more important-- conference championships or National Championships?

Further, not one player in NBA History did what Oscar Robertson did for as long as he did it and he is not in a logical discussion for GOAT. Just like Sabrina-- Oscar did accomplish something sensational with all those triple doubles for so long unlike any other player in NBA History. It doesn't make him GOAT. So using her stats to make any claims "unlike anyone else" has some meaning but not a decisive one when comparing GOATS.

Further, you're bringing up awards as if they have this "gotcha" meaning. Don't you understand why some might scoff at Individual awards that you want to cite (when you try to tie in Sabrina with Maya and Stewie.)? We've seen the absurdity of individual awards in the past. -Maybe you are too young or didn't pay attention until Oregon came alive. But look at DT not getting POY - instead they gave it to Beard. Look at the years in the NBA where Jordan didn't win MVP instead they gave to it Barkley or Malone. Or recent years with LeBron. I can understand tying these awards to a degree but it seems like you want to equate popularity contest awards to winning. And you seem to want to try to tie in Oregon Basketball and Conference Championships to National championships. That's ludicrous.

Instead what some have been trying to explain is that winning it all counts for the most. And winning counts a lot. For example this year your team was stacked - stacked yet in your peak year - at the peak of Sabrina's powers you allowed yourself to get beat twice. Now it's not that big of a deal - but your team this year was stacked. One loss vs two you could've gotten maybe #1 overall. It';s just a slight difference between super great players which Sabrina is too. But more importantly look at what happened to Sabrina when she went to the Final Four when competing against the best of the best which is where GOATS need to make their bones:

OFC frosh year it's excusable. Learning the ropes. Her soph year she had a very good game vs ND despite shooting 9-24 but what about her jr year? 6-24 from the floor vs Baylor. The point is-- when GOATS go against the best they can't be stopped. Maya was a scorer and was never stopped in big NCAA Tourney games other than struggle her frosh year a bit vs Stanford. In addition her defense was instrumental in 2009-2010. Stewie was a combo of scorer and defender that was super when she went against the best of the best.

Its unfortunate Sabrina didn't have a sr NCAA Tourney year to see what she could've done- but she did allow her stacked team to lose twice. it's understandable for the GOAT on stacked teams if they lose it's on buzzer beaters. Oregon was "beaten" by lesser teams TWICE.

Bottomline is that when you are talking GOAT- the world doesn't revolve around a team's history, or it's conference as much as it revolves around NATIONAL champions as the most important. And while awards are nice there has to be a note they can also be popularity contests when you discount other players as pointed out by DT not being named best player as well as Jordan and LeBron. . Another important point is that stats can be misleading as pointed by the Oscar Robertson example. And another point to rehash is that -- "was the superstar stopped for what they do best?" So what we could see from Sabrina - her last year in NCAA Tourney going against "the best" she shot 6-24. For what Maya and Stewie and DT did as upperclassmen (and their soph year) what they did best going against the very best - their game was not stopped. That's the difference between being a GOAT vs being "just" "GREAT." Which Sabrina was-- "great."

And a final point while you are heaping great praise deservedly with the great Sabrina which she was. Graves is an excellent coach too. He helped getting talent. It isn't all Sabrina for Oregon. Take away Sabrina and if we count popularity contests then you have a couple other big time players you (Oregon) haven't had in the past on 1 team too, right?
I appreciate your thoughts. Just to be clear, I didn't start this post which Poppabear did back on Feb 25. My 1st reply was two days later when there were a lot of opinions. I am not one of the 14 people who voted for Sabrina as the GOAT, as I believe it's Stewart which I saw her earn it after losing 3 times to my alma mater ND, thenfinally winning the Final 4 game and dominating for those 4 years as NC. I made it clear back in my 1st post she needed to lead this Oregon team to the NC to be considered. I also felt we need clarity on the GOAT references and provided my observations on that topic as did others.

My subseqent posts were mostly to update folks on her awards or articles, not as a "gotchas" but as a good place to post gven the title of the thread to share that info and compare her awards and stats with others historically. As for comparing with UConn players, all 3 you mention are great as are others like C Miller and Tamika Catchings, who are also champions. Stats and awards seem good fodder for discussions and comparisons which is why we post in the 1st place.

What I find truly different from the UConn trio with Sabrina is they all came to a team that had already won NCs and played with several WNBA 1st round draft picks even before they were drafted overall #1 as a senior. DT played with 6 (including overall #1 pick Sue Bird), Maya with 3 (including overall #1 Tina Charles), and Breanna had 5 and then add her two 4 yr classmates (Jefferson & Tuck) who went #2 & #3 overall in her same draft. Lots of talent at UConn beyond the best player. Prior to Sabrina, Oregon had never been past the sweet 16 and prior to this year had never had a single WNBA team's #1 draft choice You may consider Oregon stacked but Sabrina was the only 5 star recruit on the team until Boley xfrd from ND to play last year. Hebard was a bit of an unknown from Alaska, but because of her chemistry with Sabrina she became an AA. Sabally was a great international dscovery by Graves (who I agree is a great coach) and certainly deserving of her #2 overall pick as a jr. Next year Oregon will actually be more stacked with all their 5 stars.

As for my background I am neither young nor started watching when Oregon "came alive". I started watching WCBB after I graduated fronm ND and moved to Oregon for grad school 1978. My first favorite players to watch live was Bev Smith from Oregon then Tanja Kostic from Oregon State. I followed the early USC championship teams with Cheryl Miller and Stanford championship teams with Jennifer Azzi, Katy Steding, and a local kid from Philomath HS, Trish Stephens. When my daughters started playing sports and ND made their 1st Final 4 in 97 to lose to Tennessee I got hooked. I admired those Tennessee and UConn teams but reveled in ND's Ruth Riley/Niele Ivey championship in 2001. Got even more serious over ND's 5 straight F4 years when they played UConn in the semis or final each year (2011-15). Then I followed Oregon, Oregon State, & ND very closely the last 4 years on TV and going to several games live. This would have been my 3rd straight year attending the NCAA regionals.

Sad way for the season to end. Sabrina's efforts will always be known as "unfinished business." That means she never got a chance to be anything more than Oregon's GOAT, the triple double queen, and the only 2k/1k/1k player ever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I appreciate your thoughts. Just to be clear, I didn't start this post which Poppabear did back on Feb 25. My 1st reply was two days later when there were a lot of opinions.

Okay and just to be clear while my post replies to you it’s also speaking to those who voted for Sabrina or who were undecided and others who are reading this that think Sabrina might be GOAT. And just as you provided data and made observations – I have made similar observations based on what you posted. As a result, I don’t feel Sabrina is the college GOAT.

I do agree with you. I think Stewart is GOAT but I have another caveat I only started watching during UCONN’s 1st title so if someone were to say Miller or Leslie etc I can’t disagree. I never saw them in college . Anyways, when stats and awards are brought up to generate a discussion as points to build up a player then conversely a discussion can also be brought up in discussions making claim they are not relevant enough to be used in the GOAT discussion for a particular player. That’s what I’ve done. It’s great you brought up pro Sabrina points. She is an amazing beast on the court. But the awards and stats don’t get her to GOAT which we agree.

And what I find also irrelevant is your mention of 6 WNBA players drafted how played with DT and 3 for Maya etc. IMO it’s a not a relevant stat - just as irrelevant as Oscar’s triple doubles in a GOAT discussion when the stat doesn’t put him in the conversation either.

Let’s talk about DT for example. In 00-01 UCONN had one all-American 1st team or 2nd team and that was Sveta. Neither Sveta nor Ralph played in the NCAA Tourney. And who ended up getting all-region leading her team to the FF? The freshman - DT. Further, how does Sue Bird or Swin Cash etc being drafted in 01-02 have a thing to do with DT’s exploits in 00-01 or 02-03 or -03-04? Further, what Sabrina has done – how does it equate DT’s 02-03 and 03-04 exploits? So, in this instance regarding DT, what was the point bringing up who was drafted while playing with DT? If you think they are relevant fine—but what if I don’t? So, this is my counter of which I think most UCONN fans would feel the same way. I’m just bringing up a lot of what you’re bringing as still doesn’t put Sabrina as number 1 or number 2 etc. Not that you personally are trying to but for anyone that reads here and thinks what you’ve mentioned puts her right there with Stewie, Maya and DT; it doesn’t.

And again bringing up “prior to Sabrina.” It’s irrelevant for this thread. Prior to Sabrina there was also no Graves. Prior to Sabrina there was no combination of Hebard and Sabally at Oregon coupled with Graves. And “the history of Oregon basketball rising” is irrelevant in regards to a GOAT discussion when championships matter more.

Sabrina is an all-time great. But for this thread discussion she is a tick below a few others. And again I won’t argue with anyone that puts in a pre-1995 player as GOAT. And I’ll argue with anyone who would incorrectly believe that Sabrina wasn’t super great. She was incredible. Classy. Great great ambassador. You must’ve had a complete blast watching Sabrina play these last 4 years.

Reaction Score
..... *You may consider Oregon stacked but Sabrina was the only 5 star recruit on the team until Boley xfrd from ND to play last year. Hebard was a bit of an unknown from Alaska, but because of her chemistry with Sabrina she became an AA. Sabally was a great international dscovery by Graves (who I agree is a great coach) and certainly deserving of her #2 overall pick as a jr. Next year Oregon will actually be more stacked with all their 5 stars.

Huh?
*Ruthy Hebard and Satou Sabally were both top-40, 5-star recruits. They were both very well known and highly regarded. In fact, Sabally accomplished the incredibly rare feat of being selected for the Jordan Brand game as a Euro recruit. She was a highly touted international commodity and widely regarded as 2017's #1 international recruit.
Hebard was not "a bit of an unknown" among coaches and scouts. She was ESPN's #40 recruit of 2016, received interest (some say offers) from over 80 programs representing every P5 conference and had offers from nearly every PAC-12 school. She made the U18 National team as a HS senior.

edit: Sierra Campisano (class of 2016) and Otiona Gildon (class of 2015) were also former 5-star recruits. Campisano transferred from Oregon in 2018.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
College only What Diana did with a team of underclassman against mighty Tenn in the day and did it 3 years is by far and there is no comparison unbelievable. She took charge as the greatest player and on court coach ever. She did the impossible at the most impossibile times. A flare for the dramatic when it was least expected. There is no player that has done what Diana did. Others have had great college careers and the also had team mates who were polished experienced players. Diana put the team on her back and made it happen. No other player in college made it happen like Diana. Diana is the GOAT and no body else is close

Reaction Score
You may consider Oregon stacked but Sabrina was the only 5 star recruit on the team until Boley xfrd from ND to play last year. Hebard was a bit of an unknown from Alaska, but because of her chemistry with Sabrina she became an AA.

I didn't pick up this quote before.

Please just stop it. I'm done with this.

C'mon you know i was talking about when I said Oregon was stacked. We are talking about the "college team Oregon." You've tried to deliberately twist this into "high school recruit." It doesn't make one bit of difference what she was thought of in high school. It's what she WAS in her sr year in college. And she was part of a "stacked team." If you can't admit that . . .

Reaction Score
College only What Diana did with a team of underclassman against mighty Tenn in the day and did it 3 years is by far and there is no comparison unbelievable. She took charge as the greatest player and on court coach ever. She did the impossible at the most impossibile times. A flare for the dramatic when it was least expected. There is no player that has done what Diana did. Others have had great college careers and the also had team mates who were polished experienced players. Diana put the team on her back and made it happen. No other player in college made it happen like Diana. Diana is the GOAT and no body else is close

Stewart is the GOAT. Stewart did do something no other college player did.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
edit: Sierra Campisano (class of 2016) and Otiona Gildon (class of 2015) were also former 5-star recruits, but both transferred from Oregon in 2018.

Gildon didn't transfer out of Oregon. You must be thinking of Mallory McGwire, also from the 2016 class.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This entire thread just keeps cracking me up. I like Sabrina-well let me clarify that- I like her a lot less since she put that last curb stomping on UCONN. But she is not in the GOAT conversation. To paraphrase @meyers7 in a different GOAT discussion-How can you be considered the GOAT when you are not even the best to play in that conference?
If Sabrina has a comparable professional and Olympic career to LIndsay Whalen she would have had a great career and would still not be in the discussion for GOAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom