Is Nova in a P5? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is Nova in a P5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It speaks volumes about what an attractive opponent you are. And provide a link to this urban myth buzzing around Ed Cooley's brain.
It also never happened, it is just a made up story by Sean, if it did he would provide a link.

Bet he said he heard from a "source", probably the same "source" Chief has.

When Sean gets his 1k post here, can we all chip in and get him a prostitute so he can finally lose his virginity? It will at least keep him off our board for a few minuets.

Reaction Score
PC offered to play at UCONN with no return game; you turtled. I guess it was more important to pad your schedule with softies. You had to run the AAC gauntlet
Actually you offered to play us on the moon but we refused. We didn't have the correct oxygen packs.

See, I can make up stuff and post it on the internet too.

Reaction Score
PC has swept Gtown, beat Butler, X, ND, URI and UMass(by 28). All are top 50 RPI.

Ran into a buzz saw last night; it happens. Difference is, we got beat by the #6 team in the country, you got a beatdown from SMU.

I like your implication that UCONN is better than PC this year. Maybe when your AD finds a set of balls this pissing match can get settled on the court instead of on a message board.
Neither URI or UMass are in the top 50 of the RPI, URI is like 70.

Reaction Score
Ugh this is one of the 24696969 reasons why i hate conference realignment, we have fans of schools that haven't won a tourney game since Clinton was humpin hunnies in the oval office pumping their chests over the opponents they play.

"Hey your National Championship is so 10 months ago, we just lost to Nova and play Butler twice so take that!" -Sean

Reaction Score
Villanova was very good last year, and they're even better this year. Villanova's biggest weakness last season was their second round opponent, and I disagree with the notion that we rolled over them as easily as some of you make it sound. Shabazz was drilling pull-up thirty footers in that second half, so it's not as if it was a matter of incompetence on their part. That UConn team was simply on a mission and Villanova was just another helpless bystander in the way.

The Big East is a strong league this year. They're 7-2 against the ACC and several of their top teams have racked up marquee OOC wins; Butler beat UNC, Providence beat Notre Dame and Miami, Georgetown beat Indiana, Villanova beat VCU, Illinois, and Syracuse, etc. If we're going to dismiss those results because they don't pass the eye test, then why bother playing the games? I do agree, though, that Villanova is the only real national threat.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
PC won the tourney, how good could the league really be?

They haven't won a NCAA tourney game since it moved to 64 teams.

I'm no PC defender, but you may wanna check that.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
PC offered to play at UCONN with no return game; you turtled. I guess it was more important to pad your schedule with softies. You had to run the AAC gauntlet

Would you be kind enough to provide a link to that? And the PC board doesn't count.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
forgive Joe if he doesn't know what "P5" stands for, he 's not a football guy

I think he's a math geek who became famous because University administrators actually use the RPI as the Bible instead of one of the ancillary tool it was intended to be

kinda like Squid, the system made him relevant

Reaction Score
Ugh this is one of the 24696969 reasons why i hate conference realignment, we have fans of schools that haven't won a tourney game since Clinton was humpin hunnies in the oval office pumping their chests over the opponents they play.

"Hey your National Championship is so 10 months ago, we just lost to Nova and play Butler twice so take that!" -Sean

This sentiment is pervasive among the P5 (fueled by the media), which showers instant credit to programs that haven't won squat for decades. To have to endure it from fans from a conference that is a shell of its former self is almost unbearable.

Reaction Score
We wouldn't have lost to anyone by 28 points sean. A buzz saw or just seriously out coached? I have no doubt we could beat PC and lose to Yale the next night. Difference in our 2 programs is we don't give up 89, that's just reality! Check out how many Duke got. ;)

You guys blew a tire when you had a chance. Nothing there yet again, you should be used to it by now!

How quickly we forget last year. Louisville 81, UConn 48. The season turned out pretty well. One game in isolation doesn't mean anything, except that some teams don't match up well with certain teams.

Reaction Score
How quickly we forget last year. Louisville 81, UConn 48. The season turned out pretty well. One game in isolation doesn't mean anything, except that some teams don't match up well with certain teams.

Why would we forget that loss? It was the last one before we won a national championship. Oh I get it, even though PC lost by 28 to Nova there's a chance they can win a NC, I got it now!:eek:

Pretty sure they need a win outside the NIT to come close to that goal.

Reaction Score
Why would we forget that loss? It was the last one before we won a national championship. Oh I get it, even though PC lost by 28 to Nova there's a chance they can win a NC, I got it now!:eek:

Pretty sure they need a win outside the NIT to come close to that goal.

No, I'm just responding to you saying UConn would never lose by 28. You're right, they lost by 33.

Reaction Score
The NBE is riding an RPI bubble that may very well burst. The stars have aligned for them via this bogus metric. Sure, they have a few good teams and had a nice run as a conference at the front end of the season, but I can't rationalize some of the inflated seedings. Here's an example. Xavier with 11 losses (which will grow to 13 after playing Nova and in the NBE Championship) has four losses to teams with an RPI greater than 100. By comparison, UConn has only one loss to a team with an RPI over 100—Houston. All UConn's other losses were to teams with an 80 or better RPI. Xavier may not even get to .500 in the NBE. Their biggest wins were against Georgetown as well as Providence and Butler at home. Their next biggest RPI win was against Stephen F. Austin.

Lunardi has Xavier as a 7 seed and climbing. Maybe they are worthy of an NCAA bid, but a 7 seed? Nova aside, many of these NBE teams are advantaged in terms of their seeding. We'll see how it all works out.

Reaction Score
The NBE is riding an RPI bubble that may very well burst. The stars have aligned for them via this bogus metric. Sure, they have a few good teams and had a nice run as a conference at the front end of the season, but I can't rationalize some of the inflated seedings. Here's an example. Xavier with 11 losses (which will grow to 13 after playing Nova and in the NBE Championship) has four losses to teams with an RPI greater than 100. By comparison, UConn has only one loss to a team with an RPI over 100—Houston. All UConn's other losses were to teams with an 80 or better RPI. Xavier may not even get to .500 in the NBE. Their biggest wins were against Georgetown as well as Providence and Butler at home. Their next biggest RPI win was against Stephen F. Austin.

Lunardi has Xavier as a 7 seed and climbing. Maybe they are worthy of an NCAA bid, but a 7 seed? Nova aside, many of these NBE teams are advantaged in terms of their seeding. We'll see how it all works out.
Yup Butler has 1 top 100 win in the OOC and Lunardi has them as a 6 seed.

Reaction Score
Yup Butler has 1 top 100 win in the OOC and Lunardi has them as a 6 seed.

It's mind boggling. According to Lunardi, Temple who beat Kansas (#2 RPI) with fewer bad losses is on the bubble. Cincy who beat 5 teams in the RPI top 50 (including OOC games), and has fewer bad losses, is on the bubble. Tulsa is currently on the outside looking in. I kind of expected the AAC to be on the ass end of things, but I'm just amazed at the seeding of some these very average NBE teams. I think Lunardi may get this bracket wrong. Then again, maybe the committee has some nasty 9/10/11 pairings waiting for these "favored" teams.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The Ohio Valley was able to game the RPI system a few years ago in this manner and look great on paper merely by not playing teams with RPI's over 200. A bunch of average teams whose best wins were against each other.

Reaction Score
Not to pick on Xavier, but their Non-Conference RPI is very high 29. But, they played no one higher than Cincy's RPI of 52. I guess this rigorous schedule paid dividends? Here's who they played OOC:

- Cincy (52)
- Stephen F. Austin (64)
- UTEP (61)
- Murray State (74)
- Alabama (78)
- Long Beach State (103)
- Florida Gulf Coast (108)
- Auburn (136)
- San Diego (173) (Not SDSU)
- Northern Arizona (188)
- Missouri (200)
- IUPUI (248)

#7 Seed and climbing. . ?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/rpi/_/teamId/2752

Reaction Score
He meant to Nova, if you are going to troll please try to keep up.

"We wouldn't have lost to anyone by 28". Yes, "anyone" = Nova. Thanks for clarifying Jerry. Please try to keep up.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure where the confusion lies. The Big East performed well OOC, therefore, their teams get seeded higher. The AAC performed horribly OOC, their teams get seeded lower. Let's compare UConn's resume to Xavier's:

UConn:
0-3 vs. top 25
2-6 vs. top 50
4-10 vs. top 100
1 loss to sub-150 team

Xavier:
4-3 vs. top 25
4-5 vs. top 50
9-7 vs. top 100
1 loss to sub-150 team

The Big East is a strong conference by any metric you want to use. Some of their teams are underwhelming, sure. But look at a school like Ohio State and ask yourself who they've beaten. Look at Louisville. North Carolina. You can poke holes in a lot of resumes.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where the confusion lies. The Big East performed well OOC, therefore, their teams get seeded higher. The AAC performed horribly OOC, their teams get seeded lower. Let's compare UConn's resume to Xavier's:

UConn:
0-3 vs. top 25
2-6 vs. top 50
4-10 vs. top 100
1 loss to sub-150 team

Xavier:
4-3 vs. top 25
4-5 vs. top 50
9-7 vs. top 100
1 loss to sub-150 team

The Big East is a strong conference by any metric you want to use. Some of their teams are underwhelming, sure. But look at a school like Ohio State and ask yourself who they've beaten. Look at Louisville. North Carolina. You can poke holes in a lot of resumes.
Those good RPI wins came against other BE teams, look at Xavier out of conference, 1-3 against the only decent teams they played.

That is his point.

Reaction Score
Those good RPI wins came against other BE teams, look at Xavier out of conference, 1-3 against the only decent teams they played.

That is his point.

That's fine, all I'm saying is that there are plenty of other teams seeded similarly that are in the same boat, Ohio State being one of them. Their best OOC win came against Marquette and they're an eight seed. We can admit Xavier is not that good while also acknowledging that there aren't many teams to place ahead of him. If UConn took care of the teams they were supposed to, somebody on another message board would be wondering why a team whose best wins are over Cincinnati and Dayton is in the dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom