Is Nova in a P5? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Is Nova in a P5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Special teams are determined in March, not November - February. We're probably not giving them enough credit, but in our defense, it is basically the same group of guys that was by far our easiest game in the tournament last year. Napier missed most of the first half with foul trouble and we still crushed them.

Reaction Score

Maybe so. But that exact same Villanova team was the best team in the Big East last year and couldn't have been more paper soft in the NCAA tournament. If you recall, they lost by double digits to a team that went 12-6 in the AAC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We spotted them 10 points and sat our best guy over 10 minutes and still blew them out of the gym. Playing in that soft league does them no favors.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We spotted them 10 points and sat our best guy over 10 minutes and still blew them out of the gym. Playing in that soft league does them no favors.

If we use the "if UConn can beat them, their conference must suck" logic, then the AAC was better than the Big 12, Big 10 and SEC last year too.

Reaction Score
In basketball... Yes. the Big East is one of top five conference so I think he is right.
He's not right. He is, as per usual, an idiot homer. The P5 is a defined thing, not subject to opinion. It's the five conferences that have already been listed in this thread, not the five best conferences at some specific point in time.

Reaction Score
If we use the "if UConn can beat them, their conference must suck" logic, then the AAC was better than the Big 12, Big 10 and SEC last year too.

No one can knock down a straw man quite like Nelson. Nobody anywhere in this thread argued that the AAC is better than the Big East. The point was simple - Villanova has been the best team in the new Big East and UConn made light work of them in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
A cat with 7 lives...classic

Got up early after that Wildcat thrashing huh? Top 25 didn't last too long, sucks huh. Still have a shot but work to do to get in.

Reaction Score
In basketball... Yes. the Big East is one of top five conference so I think he is right.

In football terms, they are not in a Power 5 for obvious reasons.

These media terms are bound to create confusion. ESPN wants to seperate the football Power-5 leagues from everyone else but the separation is becoming hard to push when the Big East basically hasn't lost a beat and has 3/10 in the top 25 and 6/10 running for NCAA bids. Its hard to ignore the strength of that league and the fact that it is outperforming even the ACC as a whole

The Big East is like a cat with 7 lives. The more you try to kill it, the more they come back to haunt you.

I mean... Look how garbage is the Pac-12 in basketball... and then look at the lower 2/3 of the ACC and see how embarrassing it is to that conference... Then look around at the SEC and all the garbage behind Kentucky... The only conferences that lead the pack from the football Power-5 is the Big12, half of the B10, top 5 of the ACC...

The Big East has to be second to the B12 right now in terms of out-of-conference success.

I can't understand why the college basketball fans of UConn have such hatred for the only league that has a basketball-centric mentality. It doesn't fit in my mind how there is so much bashing and hatred for the basketball Big East. This has to stop. This fan base looks silly.

FriarJ and the other guy also need to relax and cut the back-and-forth crap
I know you do not get the fact that this is a conference we compete with for recruits so rooting for them makes no sense, but the NBE was a joke last year and fell on their face in the tournament.

Sure PC is ranked today (wont be on Monday), but it is comical to think they are a top 25 team. They lost to Brown and BC.

Butler beat UNC but got blown out by their other three OOC opponents which have a heat beat (Oklahoma, Tenny, and IU).

Nova can make a run in the tournament, but that is it.

Gtown is the 2nd best team in the conference and their best OOC win is Florida, by 1, in OT.

Their recruiting is behind the AAC this year, and all the other actual P5 conferences as well.

I know you j off to the NBE, but it is a mid major conference with less viability than the AAC in the long run.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
When you say Big East these days what you are really saying is the bottom half of the Big East. That's the truth and anyone looking at PC as a top 25 team isn't doing the work. That goes for Lunardi, too.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't think putting down another conference or team makes UConn better. Nova and UConn were both good teams last year and when we went head to head the good guys won. Last season the AAC was better than than the NBE. The reverse is true this season.

We've been on the short end of outcomes as well as on the surprising end. I get the need to strut. I get the need to make a case that is only part of the picture in order to bolster an argument. But I sincerely hope those doing it and are laughing at the opposite side of the argument are cognizant of what they are doing.

Lest we forget there was GFM!

Reaction Score
That's a Latin thing. I don't know how cats got 9 lives in the US but if you ask anyone from Latin America the expression is a cat with 7 lives.

You got it. I'm Latin American! (Dominican to be exact) LOL.

For some reason in Latin America cats only have 7 lives.

I found a hilarious thread about this. Seems like in Europe its the same as L.Am

http://www.englishforum.ch/pet-corner/138370-cats-7-9-lives.html

Reaction Score

I found a hilarious thread about this. Seems like in Europe its the same as L.Am

It was really surprising to me the first time my ex said a cat has 7 lives. I looked at her like she was crazy, but after asking around that is what all Latin's say. They thought I was the dumb one for saying a cat has 9 lives.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

It was really surprising to me the first time my ex said a cat has 7 lives. I looked at her like she was crazy, but after asking around that is what all Latin's say. They thought I was the dumb one for saying a cat has 9 lives.
So is the brand of cat food in Europe and Latin America seven lives?

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Yeah, they are special all right. They are special to you because they absolutely spanked your PeeCee team last night. As usual, a special regular season powerhouse.
Their pretty boy do nothing in the tourney coach is special. How many times did they cut the nets in MSG after the BE tourney? How many Final Fours?
Except when they had K Kittles, I dont ever remember being in awe of Villanova and am not this year. Both Nova and Notre Dame will be early exits in the dance.
They are a good team but that happens when you have a bunch of guys that play together for more than 2 years.
Hey Friar - there ain't no insecurity here - but it is very evident in the PC, Nova and Cuse programs and their fans.
I am very secure to wear all 4 of my NCAA championship hats and shirts - I am sure you feel that way with your antique 1940-1970 NIT stuff.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If this Villanova team gets past the first weekend, I can see them going to the Final Four. They're not as bad as we think they are and they would definitely run the table in the AAC. I give credit where credit is due...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CTBasketball said:
If this Villanova team gets past the first weekend, I can see them going to the Final Four. They're not as bad as we think they are and they would definitely run the table in the AAC. I give credit where credit is due...

They are not bad, PC isn't bad either. We have a problem with media and selection types viewing conference affiliation as way more relevant than it is and mockery mixed with a little historical truths are all the artillery we've got.

The BE had a good preseason run, whereas the AAC didn't. That doesn't mean much, now that the BE is full of the lower division of the old BE and the AAC is full of dreck, when looking at individual teams. The CR pond ripples have yet to settle on the court.

Reaction Score

I know it wouldn't be 89-61 ;)

I think they're really good, thought so last year too. I now know you guys aren't.

Reaction Score

Villanova no doubt has the talent to reach the F4. I think they will also get a #1 seed by selection sunday.

Reaction Score

I have seen Villanova play this year and last. My eyes say ... they aren't that good. I saw them last year; I thought UConn (Napier, Boatright) would dominate ... and we did. Nice team. Good interior players - not elite. I think this FriarJ just doesn't know hoop. Nova is out AROUND Sweet 16. And I totally don't think they deserve a #1. Solid #2 though based on record/RPI and that stuff; when they play, they won't beat the P5 clubs - IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom