Is Joe Williams still suspended? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Is Joe Williams still suspended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been waiting for someone to write something like this!!

Who thinks that the kind of thing that was written about the OSU football program (exagerratted) doesn't apply to our own 3 time national championship basketball program??????

It's all a matter of perspective.

....and my perspective is that I want Coach JC as my Attorney.

Reaction Score
Not trying to win an argument, I'm just sharing my opinion. I don't care what he was charged with, we all know that's what he did.
The police report said, witness' saw them arguing in front of the dorm, and spitting at each other.
Don't ruin a kids rep because of a bad memory or assumption.

Reaction Score
The police report said, witness' saw them arguing in front of the dorm, and spitting at each other.
Don't ruin a kids rep because of a bad memory or assumption.

Here is an update with info from police report: Police responded just after midnight Friday to reports of a domestic dispute outside a dormitory. McCombs is alleged to have been yelling and spit on his girlfriend and pushed her down outside the residence hall.

McCombs was arrested and was in court Friday afternoon for Second Degree Breach of Peace. The court date set is 11/27 at Rockville Superior Court. McCombs is the leading rusher for the Huskies and is averaging 90 yards per game on the ground. McCombs girlfriend, Sasiamaria Jones of Startford, Conn., was also arrested and charged with Second Degree Breach of Peace for allegedly scratching, spitting and yelling at McCombs.

Reaction Score
I'm all for running a tight ship but it was less than $200 and really what the heck is going to happen in court that would change anything?
The value of what was stolen should equal the value of the available credit on the card. Shouldn't it? Let's say he stole a card that had $5000 of credit available on it and had charged $175.00. Wouldn't that be the same as stealing $5000 of cash and spending $175.00 of it? Who was to say he was going to stop charging at $175.00? Plus stealing a fellow students or teammates credit card is lot more personal than shoplifting.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
The value of what was stolen should equal the value of the available credit on the card. Shouldn't it? Let's say he stole a card that had $5000 of credit available on it and had charged $175.00. Wouldn't that be the same as stealing $5000 of cash and spending $175.00 of it? Who was to say he was going to stop charging at $175.00? Plus stealing a fellow students or teammates credit card is lot more personal than shoplifting.
You can't possibly be serious...

Reaction Score
Here is an update with info from police report: Police responded just after midnight Friday to reports of a domestic dispute outside a dormitory. McCombs is alleged to have been yelling and spit on his girlfriend and pushed her down outside the residence hall.

McCombs was arrested and was in court Friday afternoon for Second Degree Breach of Peace. The court date set is 11/27 at Rockville Superior Court. McCombs is the leading rusher for the Huskies and is averaging 90 yards per game on the ground. McCombs girlfriend, Sasiamaria Jones of Startford, Conn., was also arrested and charged with Second Degree Breach of Peace for allegedly scratching, spitting and yelling at McCombs.

Years back, at the time when FSU = "Free Sneakers University," two players were involved in situation that had a friendly Dept Store Clerk ring-up fewer items than would leave the store with the players. Timing was awful because of an upcoming Bowl which included FSU and national champ implications.

One player was a super-star, All American. The other player was a a sometimes starter, fastest player on the team type that had a domestic violence entry on his record. The star played in the Bowl Game. The lessor player was suspended and never played another game at FSU.

The "star" was drafted in the first round.

The other guy was also drafted, in the third round. As one would expect, given the record of domestic violence, the NFL team received a steady ration of press heat But the team had done its homework. It had hired an ex-NYC senior cop to investigate the kid, pre-draft. The ex-cop quickly found the incident in question described as the player keeping his very large stepmother from attacking his much smaller biological mother. It was sort of a hold-off, push down, sit-on type of thing. With this type of thing, a wait for the real facts is an absolute requirement.

Reaction Score
Years back, at the time when FSU = "Free Sneakers University," two players were involved in situation that had a friendly Dept Store Clerk ring-up fewer items than would leave the store with the players. Timing was awful because of an upcoming Bowl which included FSU and national champ implications.

One player was a super-star, All American. The other player was a a sometimes starter, fastest player on the team type that had a domestic violence entry on his record. The star played in the Bowl Game. The lessor player was suspended and never played another game at FSU.

The other guy was also drafted, in the third round. As one would expect, given the record of domestic violence, the NFL team received a steady ration of press heat But the team had done its homework. It had hired an ex-NYC senior cop to investigate the kid, pre-draft. The ex-cop quickly found the incident in question described as the player keeping his very large stepmother from attacking his much smaller biological mother. It was sort of a hold-off, push down, sit-on type of thing. With this type of thing, a wait for the real facts is an absolute requirement.

I don't understand your point here? McCombs also spit on his girlfriend. The decision to sit him for a quarter was a disgrace.

Reaction Score
I don't understand your point here? McCombs also spit on his girlfriend. The decision to sit him for a quarter was a disgrace.

Jimmy, you're being a pain in the now.

Nobody is defending Pasqualoni for what he did with McCOmbs, and we all were pretty clear that Edsall would have handled McCombs a lot differently than Pasqualoni did, and that Pasqualoni was way too lenient.

The point whaler, I, and fairtides and others are making, is that there needs to be some middle ground in disciplinary actions regarding suspensions from practice and play for scholarship athletes when there are transgressions with the law, and/or, other "violations of team rules".

You can do it, and put players on the field, that have legal actions, disciplinary actions, pending or in process against them, or keep them off the field, on a sliding scale, and do it ethically, morally, and legally. Is it a slippery slope? Sure - it can be. If there aren't checks and balances - talking to you media people. But it's also the opposite, and shoots yourself in the foot, for what may be something quite minor, if you are too strict with the black and white application of discipline.

Reaction Score

For as many stories like this that there are, there are the opposite, where a player was put on the field, that had no business being there due to their off-field behavior. This is where things like sports media, and local culture, and values and things factor in. If the media is on top of the situation, and makes a stink about something? Or if they choose not to?

The point, I believe - is that there needs to be some kind of middle ground, sliding scale, wiggle room with the facts of a situation, as it plays out and how disciplinary action is determined and enforced.

Whether or not Joe Williams theft issue - which I believe is a pretty serious crime as crimes are rated because it involved a credit card, state lines, etc.....could be wrong, I'm not a lawyer - but in legalese - stealing a credit card - I do believe is a more serious crime as classified legally in the courts - than misdemeanor breach of peace. Lawyers of the world correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway - I have no idea what the facts are of William's case - but somebody does - and the point I just made above, is independent of any specific case.

Reaction Score

Nobody is defending Pasqualoni for what he did with McCOmbs, and we all were pretty clear that Edsall would have handled McCombs a lot differently than Pasqualoni did, and that Pasqualoni was way too lenient.

The point whaler, I, and fairtides and others are making, is that there needs to be some middle ground in disciplinary actions regarding suspensions from practice and play for scholarship athletes when there are transgressions with the law, and/or, other "violations of team rules".

You can do it, and put players on the field, that have legal actions, disciplinary actions, pending or in process against them, or keep them off the field, on a sliding scale, and do it ethically, morally, and legally. Is it a slippery slope? Sure - it can be. If there aren't checks and balances - talking to you media people. But it's also the opposite, and shoots yourself in the foot, for what may be something quite minor, if you are too strict with the black and white application of discipline.

I'll bite - why only scholarship athletes (unless you didn't mean to segregate them out from other university athletes)?

Reaction Score
I'll bite - why only scholarship athletes (unless you didn't mean to segregate them out from other university athletes)?

Astute. Scholarship athletes are being paid to play. Are they not?

Reaction Score

Astute. Scholarship athletes are being paid to play. Are they not?

Agreed but that allows that they should be treated differently from non-scholarship players? The crime is a crime whether they have a full-ride, partial ride or no ride. Not arguing that each incident needs to be evaluated separately.

Reaction Score

As usual.....clear, concise, and to the point.

I'm on your side. I think Williams should've been back weeks ago.

People are claiming McCombs either didn't shove a woman down or maybe did so with a very very very good reason. And I called bullspit.

Reaction Score
Agreed but that allows that they should be treated differently from non-scholarship player? The crime is a crime whether they have a full-ride, partial ride or no ride. Not arguing that each incident needs to be evaluated separately.

Should an athlete be held to different standards in the public eye than a general student body non-athlete? regardless of scholarship?

The crime is indeed the crime. BTW: I don't think that scholarships and non-scholarship players should be treated differently regarding actual discipline. I do think that scholarship athletes need to have their situations very closely examined though, as the university is investing a lot of money in them - to play a sport in return for the cost of an education. So yes, I think a lot more investigation of the facts of a "crime" be done with scholarship players. It's really up to the university administration and coaching staff, how much and what kind of decision making processes go into these things.

I think it's clearly something that we need to evaluate among all the other things we need to do, to ensure the success of this program now and into the future.

Reaction Score
I never quite understood the McCombs thing really. Pasqualoni really wasn't know ever as a lax disciplinarian in terms of that type of thing and wasn't really lax in other situations either. Even in his Syracuse days he didn't have that rep. I've always assumed, perhaps wrongly, that he checked with the PD as well as the athletic director and they all concluded that this was a pretty minor matter. I don't even remember there being much of a report of the case going to court. Again I could be wrong, and maybe there was something there and something was reported. I would have liked to have seen McCombs benched fo rthe game at least, personally. But given P's history and his reputation as being pretty solid on these types of issues throughout his career, I was inclined to give him a pass on that one, assuming he had much better information that I did.

Reaction Score
Well since this won't die - as with the domestic dispute that was described in the FSU situation, perhaps there is alternate angle to the mutual spitting incident.

maybe one partner in the relationship happened to walk in on the other engaged in activities with a third party. Perhaps there were multiple parties involved with both partners, and a relationship was in the process of ending, or beginning.

We will never know. I do think that Pasqualoni was too lenient with what was out in the media and his proportional punishment. If the punishment did fit the crime, it should have been made clear in the media, that's for sure. And if it didn't, the media should have pushed back on it.

The media and college football - always go together. The media and NFL football too. The media and football, have always gone together hand in hand. They go together.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

How is that the same thing? I have no idea if he was stopped from spending more but it didn't get spent so unless there is evidence that additional charges were rejected I'm not seeing how it's stealing more than the value that was actually spent.

Unless it's somewhere and I missed it we haven't seen it was a student or teammate?

Reaction Score
The academic requirements aren't any different for non-scholarship athletes, and the behavioral requirements shouldn't be any different either. I can't understand how anyone would argue otherwise. Should men and women that volunteer to coach HS AAU teams be held to different standards with their players than the paid HS coaches? Crazy.

Reaction Score
That's your right. I'd be demanding the coach ignore you because that's a ridiculous punishment for a misdemeanor crime.

Apparently on this board it's worse to steal than to hit a woman. That's unbelievable.

Fights don't just "happen". Someone makes the decision to throw the first punch. Not every athlete involved in a fight was simply defending themselves.

People make bad decisions all the time. It's called "petty theft" for a reason. Personally I think petty theft is less egregious than assaulting a woman.

Until they're able to get away with it once, maybe even twice and who knows what they may try to pull next. As others have said there's got to be something we don't know if it's taking this long. The kid should definitely learn a lesson after this is all said and done.

Reaction Score

By the way. If you remember LM sat out the next game due to an injury. Let me just say he wasn't injured. Pretty easy to figure out who stepped in. Please (anybody) don't ask for details. Figured since PP's gone it should be known.

Reaction Score
No winning this argument because each person believes what they do based on their internal belief system, but just as a point of reference, LM wasn't charged w/ assault, just breach of peace.

How can anyone be comparing two legal offenses without knowing the particulars of either of them?

Reaction Score
The academic requirements aren't any different for non-scholarship athletes, and the behavioral requirements shouldn't be any different either. I can't understand how anyone would argue otherwise. Should men and women that volunteer to coach HS AAU teams be held to different standards with their players than the paid HS coaches? Crazy.

Should an academic scholarship student under investigation, or charged with a crime and going through court proceedings be prevented from going to classes?

A good friend of mine back in the day got kicked off campus for having a keg in his dorm room and was charged with some kind of crimeby the UConn cops for serving alcohol to minors, that was eventually dropped. Should he have been prevented from going to classes as it was played out?

(I am posing questions for thought only. The point is that there needs to be some common sense, and proportionality to disciplinary actions.) I honestly have no idea what Williams situation is. I'm sure it's not something that a little investigative reporting wouldn't be able to uncover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom