Is Joe Williams still suspended? | The Boneyard

Is Joe Williams still suspended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Speaking of turning the corner on a new season, has Joe Williams' status changed or at least come under review? Some RB help would be a plus.

Reaction Score
Speaking of turning the corner on a new season, has Joe Williams' status changed or at least come under review? Some RB help would be a plus.

Next court date is next week.

Reaction Score
Joe played as a true freshman last year. Therefore, at this point it would probably be best for him to use this season as his redshirt year and return next season with three years of eligibility remaining, assuming all the legal stuff gets straighten out. What would amount to a one season suspension seems more than fair for his transgressions.

Reaction Score
If the charges stick, I am not sure I want him on my team.

I agree but let's see how it plays out. Even if he's not formally found guilty, if went over the line the rest of team will let him know he's not welcome. (Prison tats only add street cred in the SEC.)

Reaction Score
Someone fill me in on Williams' legal issues. Missed this somehow.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm all for running a tight ship but it was less than $200 and really what the heck is going to happen in court that would change anything?

Reaction Score
Thanks. What a dummy! Really had the chance to help this team too.

Reaction Score
Has he ever been arrested for anything before that incident? How is he doing academically? Maybe him sitting out this year, taking care of his school work, making restitution for his transgression and then giving him one and only one chance next spring would be appropriate. Everyone deserves a chance to prove that they learned their lesson as long as it's the first time that foolish mistake was made.

Reaction Score
I'm all for running a tight ship but it was less than $200 and really what the heck is going to happen in court that would change anything?
Less than $200? I hope I am missing your sarcasm.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Less than $200? I hope I am missing your sarcasm.

You are kidding right? It's $184.90 according to Silver's story.

What exactly would the program be waiting for from the court system? They can't figure out the right level of discipline based on the charges and conversations with the kid?

They are really going to have a kid miss an entire season over $184.90? Unless there is some bizarre detail we aren't getting like it was Warde's wallet... This is about 3 light years past the punishment fitting the crime.

And if you compare it to past UConn athlete's punishments for more major thefts...

Reaction Score
I agree but let's see how it plays out. Even if he's not formally found guilty, if went over the line the rest of team will let him know he's not welcome. (Prison tats only add street cred in the SEC.)

Yeah, and UConn football looks down at the SEC. Either decide on a red shirt for Williams or get him eligible quick.

Reaction Score
Even if he did it I remember a couple bbal players being suspended for what 10 games for stealing laptops that are A LOT more expensive than $184.90. They still played during the year. Let's start acting like big time football and realizing that this is a little less serious than a DUI and Tyler Olander isn't even going to miss a game.

EDIT - Tyler Bullock should be suspended because it was inseason and his priorities were obviously in a different place, which is why he is being treated differently by UCONN.

Reaction Score

What exactly would the program be waiting for from the court system? They can't figure out the right level of discipline based on the charges and conversations with the kid?

They are really going to have a kid miss an entire season over $184.90? Unless there is some bizarre detail we aren't getting like it was Warde's wallet... This is about 3 light years past the punishment fitting the crime.

And if you compare it to past UConn athlete's punishments for more major thefts...
Maybe I missed the story, but I thought he was accused of buying goods with a stolen credit card, then having the good shipped to an out of state address. Am I wrong? If that is the case....I have an issue with thieves. If you are starving, I can understand it but not condone it. But to steal $184 for pleasure....I don't trust a thief. Players getting into fights, no big deal to me. But stealing...he wouldn't have a place on my team. I don't care if to value was $184 or $118,840. There had to be several moments when he should have paused and thought "this is wrong and/or flat out stupid."

Maybe I have the details wrong. If so, I take it back.

Reaction Score

So if he had used your credit you are ok? If yes, please drop your card off at the shenk on your way home, but remember to include a note that any unauthorized usage should be 500 or less.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So if he had used your credit you are ok? If yes, please drop your card off at the shenk on your way home, but remember to include a note that any unauthorized usage should be 500 or less.

Yep that's what I'm saying.

I didn't say it was ok. I'm saying that stealing a total of $184 doesn't deserve what has become a suspension for an entire season.

Why not just cut his hand off? Since it sounds like stealing a pack of gum and stealing a Mercedes is the same crime here today.

Reaction Score
The biggest crime is the stupidity in having the items shipped to your home address back in PA.

Honestly I'm getting tired of doing this football thing with one arm tied behind our backs.

Reaction Score
The issue is that case is still pending. UConn won't reinstate/address till it's resolved.

What I don't get is why is it being strung out by his attorney: "On Tuesday, Connecticut Superior Court Judge Jorge Simon continued Williams' case on larceny and other charges until Nov. 5. Williams' attorney, Robert Britt, requested the continuance, saying he needed more time to brief the family on the status of the case."

Britt isn't some run of the mill "ambulance chaser". Something is missing? Seems strange for 3 misdemeanors. But I'm not the lawyer - just the chased.

Reaction Score
Yep that's what I'm saying.

I didn't say it was ok. I'm saying that stealing a total of $184 doesn't deserve what has become a suspension for an entire season.

Why not just cut his hand off? Since it sounds like stealing a pack of gum and stealing a Mercedes is the same crime here today.

We will have to agree to disagree. Using a stolen credit is not like stealing gum

Reaction Score
Even if he did it I remember a couple bbal players being suspended for what 10 games for stealing laptops that are A LOT more expensive than $184.90. They still played during the year. Let's start acting like big time football and realizing that this is a little less serious than a DUI and Tyler Olander isn't even going to miss a game.

EDIT - Tyler Bullock should be suspended because it was inseason and his priorities were obviously in a different place, which is why he is being treated differently by UCONN.
Oleander was not found guilty of DUI.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We will have to agree to disagree. Using a stolen credit is not like stealing gum

The post above yours says that stealing $180 is the same as stealing $180k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog