Is Jim Beoheim The Most Overrated Coach in Sports? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Is Jim Beoheim The Most Overrated Coach in Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Joe D can't be the best ever because he is the 3rd best Yankee ever, Best all-around position player of his day, easily a top ten GOAT player

Reaction Score
Not to take anything away from his baseball creds, but Joe D's "service" was in name only. He played baseball, and dipped his toes in the waters of Hawaii. Ted Williams, on the other hand, was the poster child of an athlete serving his country in war time - two wars, to be accurate.

Absolutely true... Didn't John Wayne create his persona based on Williams?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Joe D can't be the best ever because he is the 3rd best Yankee ever, Best all-around position player of his day, easily a top ten GOAT player

Easily? Not imo. Just on the Yankees, Ruth, gehrig, mantle 1,2,3 imo.

Reaction Score
David 76 said:
On Topic Can I put a vote in for Roy Williams. I know many will freak out on this. He is a very good coach. But he is not with Calhoun, Izzo, K, He woke up on 3rd base at UNC and he participated in a crooked program

^^^
This... Izzo does more with less & Roy does less with more. I'd add Sean Miller at AZ's coach & Rick Barnes over Izzo. They both have underachieved considering the talent they've had to work with.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Easily? Not imo. Just on the Yankees, Ruth, gehrig, mantle 1,2,3 imo.

I think you are in a minority with Mantle over DiMaggio, but it is closer than most people think. BA 325 to 298 DiMaggio, OBP 421 to 396 Mantle, SLG 579 to 557 DiMaggio. HR per year 30 to 28 Mantle, runs scored/yr 107 to 93 DiMaggio,

Two interesting stats: Mantle walked 1,733 times, DiMaggio only 790. Mantle struck out 1,700 times, DiMaggio only 369 times in 13 years. That is 28 times per year on average! The man hit a home run as often as he struck out. Incredibly efficient and graceful player. It would have been interesting to see the results if Joe didn't lose 3 prime years or if Mickey's legs didn't get messed up, or if his personal issues didn't drag down his later years

On your point that it may not be easy for Joe D. to make the top ten, I agree. He might not make it, it wouldn't be easy

Reaction Score
No he is not overrated...Just recruit a few guys that can move their feet and have silly putty arms and stick em out on the perimeter and voila!...You have a great coach.

Reaction Score
B*tch, please. Ted Williams had better rate stats and better counting stats than Joe DiMaggio, despite both of them losing time to WWII (and Williams also losing time to Korea). There is no comparison here.

Williams career - .344/.482/.634 (1.116 OPS) [the OBP is best all time, period]
DiMaggio career - .325/.398/.579 (.977 OPS)

Williams career - 521 HR, 1839 RBI, 2021 BB (9788 PA)
DiMaggio career - 361 HR, 1537 RBI, 790 BB (7673 PA)

You might say "DiMaggio played a premium defensive position", and you'd be right. But looking at WAR, which accounts for that,

Williams career - 123.1 WAR (18 seasons, ignoring 6 games in 1952, but counting 37 games in 1953; ~7 WAR/season)
DiMaggio career - 78.1 WAR (13 seasons; ~6 WAR/season)

One could argue that Babe Ruth is a closer comparison to Ted Williams than Joe DiMaggio is, especially if you give Ted those wartime years back into his prime.

Reaction Score
I think you are in a minority with Mantle over DiMaggio, but it is closer than most people think. BA 325 to 298 DiMaggio, OBP 421 to 396 Mantle, SLG 579 to 557 DiMaggio. HR per year 30 to 28 Mantle, runs scored/yr 107 to 93 DiMaggio,

Two interesting stats: Mantle walked 1,733 times, DiMaggio only 790. Mantle struck out 1,700 times, DiMaggio only 369 times in 13 years. That is 28 times per year on average! The man hit a home run as often as he struck out. Incredibly efficient and graceful player. It would have been interesting to see the results if Joe didn't lose 3 prime years or if Mickey's legs didn't get messed up, or if his personal issues didn't drag down his later years

On your point that it may not be easy for Joe D. to make the top ten, I agree. He might not make it, it wouldn't be easy

Prime Mantle was better than prime DiMaggio, and Mantle had the longer career. 112.3 WAR to 83 WAR. The walks are much more important than the strikeouts, which don't have that big of an effect on an offensive player's value.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
It looks like my opinion will be unpopular, but I think the guy is a great coach. He's not Calhoun, but hardly anybody is. As much as I hate zone defense...he's really good at both teaching it and recruiting for it. And when you look at the kids he gets, he doesn't exactly have his pick of the crop. The program is more similar to UConn than it is Duke or UNC.

In my opinion the most overrated coach in the country is Tom Izzo. And that doesn't mean I think he's anything less than great. He's a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

But the divide between the way people view Boeheim and the way they view Izzo is way, way bigger than it should be. They're close to equals, IMO, and one is celebrated while the other is often a punch line. And I say all this as somebody who hates Syracuse hoops.

I normally agree with most of your posts... but I think you're way off with this one. Izzo has always been a guy, similarly to Calhoun, who didn't get multiple burger boys every year like Duke/UNC/KU/UK, yet CONSTANTLY had has team playing their best basketball by March. 7 final fours in 18 years is no accident. He does more with less than any coach in the NCAA, period. Only lately has he started to reel in some higher profile recruits as a result of his success.

Plain and simply... post-season success is a better indicator of how well your team is coached... and that's why there's a big disparity in terms of how Boeheim and Izzo are viewed. They're polar opposites in that regard.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Boeheim is an amazing coach. I don't know how anyone wins in that miserable, vacant, hellhole of a city. Boeheim will look like Wooden, Rupp, Calhoun and Kzyzewski rolled into one 30 years after he retires.

Reaction Score
I think Boeheim is an amazing coach. I don't know how anyone wins in that miserable, vacant, hellhole of a city. Boeheim will look like Wooden, Rupp, Calhoun and Kzyzewski rolled into one 30 years after he retires.
You just have to outdo yourself at every possible opportunity, don't you? I mean even sentence by sentence in this one post.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Bonus points to OP for spelling it Beoheim.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The fruit heads on the Syracuse board caught wind of this thread. Can anyone mount a guess as to what the first comeback/insult to the post they copy pasted from this thread was? If you guessed "worn out conference affiliation insult" you are correct! Seriously, what would Syracuse fans have done with themselves if they hadn't gotten the ACC invite? As it stands it's currently the only thing giving that fanbase any semblance of joy, because we sure as hell know they don't have anything to be happy about regarding the actual game of basketball or the mediocre product they put on the court year after year.

BTni3vI.png

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The fruit heads on the Syracuse board caught wind of this thread. Can anyone mount a guess as to what the first comeback/insult to the post they copy pasted from this thread was? If you guessed "worn out conference affiliation insult" you are correct! Seriously, what would Syracuse fans have done with themselves if they hadn't gotten the ACC invite? As it stands it's currently the only thing giving that fanbase any semblance of joy, because we sure as hell know they don't have anything to be happy about regarding the actual game of basketball or the mediocre product they put on the court year after year.

BTni3vI.png

I feel oddly honored.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

BTni3vI.png

They're cute. Bless their hearts.

Reaction Score
docsu = dope! He is one of the many there, and I mean many, who have been totally ignorant of Calhouns and UConns achievements as well as the fact our program has passed theirs by so easily it's a shame.

My question is since they went to the ACC did they keep their basketball program? I haven't heard much from them since the Helms titles actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom