Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

Reaction Score
I answered that already.
To be fair and factual @Kathy, the response waltzed away from actually answering the questions without supporting facts. However, the purported "national search" you referenced stretched all of the way to Norwich-native, Nick Macarchuk, then at Canisius (Buffalo), and a guy from Queens, then Fairfield University (CT) coach Mitch Buonaguro. Additionally, John Toner targeted JC in advance, Macarchuk and Buonaguro were back up candidates, and Toner publicly stated JC was the guy he wanted. Often helpful to have back ups, and facts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Read what I wrote I'm ok with him gone and only want the best for UConn basketball as I am Basketball fan 1st. But I amtrusting our AD todo a thorough search and picknthe nest candidate. If thstvis Hurley so be it I will root like crazy for us to be successful. But Hurley was annointed by many on this board without any consideration of who else might be out there.

Amen to that. It is not a good idea to decide prematurely who you want and not leave the door open to others that are out there. I've posted before that Jim Calhoun was not on most people's radar and many were disappointed we didn't hire Massimino's top assistant, Mitch Buonaguro, who had a great first season at Fairfield. Of course, that was the only winning season he had in his coaching career.

Reaction Score
More than anything with where we are right now we need someone who is going to impose his will on this program, the refs, and the recruiting circuit. We can't have someone who is not a big demanding personality. Someone who commands a room and demands effort and commitment. Someone who can not be ignored.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
many were disappointed we didn't hire Massimino's top assistant, Mitch Buonaguro, who had a great first season at Fairfield. Of course, that was the only winning season he had in his coaching career.

Which is one of a million examples to not hire somebody without a track record.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Plus his roster next year is loaded. He ain't going anywhere. Ty Outlaw should also be back.

He's moved up the ranks nicely as a coach over the years. I like him. Pretty good these days.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I know for a fact Macarchuk & Buonaguro were considered. At St. Thomas More I spoke to Nick for an hour about it. His take on the UConn situation is interesting to say the least.

Next time I will PM you and we can meet up! :)

It was Mitch and JC in the last round of interviews.

Reaction Score
But the problem is, at UConn's level, your opinion is pretty much a guess.

You may be right. He may be able to take over a program that is struggling and turn it around. But UConn's level is one where it can go with surer bets. And should.

Hurley might be a safer bet but with lower ceiling. That means maybe we make the tournament most years but aren't consistently a top 25 team. With Oats I think there is a greater chance that we are perennially in the top 25 and often in or near the top 10. Hurley is a solid coach. Oats may be more than that. I like the way his team competes. Teams are an extension of their coach. After watching so many games the past two years where UConn failed to compete, I'd like to see us get back to the kind of will to win we had under Calhoun. I just sense Oats is more likely to bring us that. The team's ability to compete is one measure and the interview process is another way to try to get a read on a coach's ability to get a team to consistently compete.

Reaction Score
Hurley might be a safer bet but with lower ceiling. That means maybe we make the tournament most years but aren't consistently a top 25 team. With Oats I think there is a greater chance that we are perennially in the top 25 and often in or near the top 10. Hurley is a solid coach. Oats may be more than that. I like the way his team competes. Teams are an extension of their coach. After watching so many games the past two years where UConn failed to compete, I'd like to see us get back to the kind of will to win we had under Calhoun. I just sense Oats is more likely to bring us that. The team's ability to compete is one measure and the interview process is another way to try to get a read on a coach's ability to get a team to consistently compete.

What exactly makes you think Oats has a higher ceiling? One game against an underachieving Arizona team? They’re down by 20 to UK right now.

Reaction Score
So he should cut ties with Tom Moore who has recruited some of UConn's best players to Storrs?

Just my thought. It would be nice to have Tom back; I've known him since his 2nd day on campus whern he 1st came. However, just a thought that a completely fresh staff might be a positive. That being said, I'd certainly be good with Tom returning providing that's he's good with that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just my thought. It would be nice to have Tom back; I've known him since his 2nd day on campus whern he 1st came. However, just a thought that a completely fresh staff might be a positive. That being said, I'd certainly be good with Tom returning providing that's he's good with that.

As long as it's not the HC....and every single assistant, it's all good. Especially since Tom has worked with DH already.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Oats may be the better coach. I've really enjoyed watching his team. I think it' safe to say, that outside of gut/guess, none of us can predict who'll end up with the better program in the end. I certainly won't expect that of the AD.

It's just tough to make hires with little information. There's no right answer.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
buffalo getting blown out now. Loyola is beating a 3 seed. We should hire whoever that guy is. Clearly he’s a winner.
UB had cut into the lead pretty good in the 2nd half, then UK just pulled away.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Who's trolling who. What business is it to you what I like or don't. This boatd does do a lot of ganging up and bullying people. Worse than I have seen after working in schools for the last 23 years. People have different opinions it would be nice if the adults on this board respected that.
Your comment reprints one of mine in which I offered two exact quotes that strained credibility. You Liked the post that struck me as indefensibly far-fetched. It led to questioning your credibility as well. If I've erred in doing so, then I apologize. But then, I'm left with my own impression of your liking a comment in which someone claims that "many people" regard Danny Hurley as "close to God" (or some such).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom