Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

Reaction Score
Not concerned by the blowout. It’s expected. The talent difference is huge. But the URI offensive continues to concern me. Heavy on ball screens and very little ball movement. It looks too much like the UConn offense. I really, really want to see us play exciting basketball again, and this isn’t encouraging. I’ll still be excited if he’s the guy. But I’ll expect better offense than this.

My guess is that AD David Benedict has spoken to hurley about this. I'm sure they have a plan--maybe a new assistant.

Reaction Score
I have been watching URI pretty much all season. Most have watched 1-3 games. Here is reality. The grass is not greener.

Firing Ollie for a coach with a lesser winning percentage in 2 lesser conferences. Was really not what I thought was a great idea.

Spend the money. Go poach a proven coach from a big program who is a good X/O’s guy who has a name and can recruit. MAKE A SPLASH. Someone kids know and want to play for. Combine that with our 4 NC’s and kids will know we are serious about getting back to the top of the mountain.

We dont have or the situation to try for lightning in a bottle. Hurley is a bigger gamble than most here who drank the Hurley cool aid think.

Hurley is not a upgrade from Ollie. He is about the same just a different face.. Ollie is better recruiting. JA, DH, AG.... And we were in the mix on several big time guys who went elsewhere that are now being chased after for paying recruits. Hurley never even got on any top 50 final lists.. And dont say its due to conference when everyone says the AAC is so bad.. Is it that better than the A10?

If we are a BIG school go get a big coach. If not we will be a middle of the conference team..

Bet on it ...
So, honestly here, give me your list. Which coaches from which schools should we be looking to poach?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
@Stainmaster, his divorce was a major reason for his lack of success the past few seasons. His success the frst 2 seasons were no fluke. He was starting to move in the right direction again until the announcement of his firing. He will get his chance again and you will see the star that he is.

He may become a successful coach again. So long as he doesn’t cost UConn many millions in his buyout, I will hope he does. I think he personally needs to get away from here for it to happen.

But let’s be clear. UConn was probably the single worst coached team in D1 basketball last year. I have no doubt that many high school teams were better coached. He was astonishingly awful.

Is Hurley the answer? Who the hell knows. But I’d sooner let almost anybody give a try compared to having KO back.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Screw you with the KO mom comments not necessary or appreciated except maybe by the more immature posters on this board.
Sorry darlin, couldn't help it;)

Reaction Score
He's all you've talked about for months.
Oh I have? Please show me. I've not given an opinion on him really one way or another. I've just stated it's likely he's our next coach

Reaction Score
You have it all wrong kath... It's you who's in the "little club". Your precious Ollie is done, it's about time to get over it already and move on... For the sake of all of us

Your incessant ranting is mind numbing.
Read what I wrote I'm ok with him gone and only want the best for UConn basketball as I am Basketball fan 1st. But I amtrusting our AD todo a thorough search and picknthe nest candidate. If thstvis Hurley so be it I will root like crazy for us to be successful. But Hurley was annointed by many on this board without any consideration of who else might be out there.

Reaction Score
Sensible answer, just a little surprised that so many think he is the second coming of JC. If he's the pick I hope he is all everyone wants him to be or this board will roast him alive in a year or two.
So Ed Cooley now has one NCAA tourney win in 13 years as a head coach. Hurley is looking better every day.

Forget Hurley. With the fire and passion that I just saw Mike Davis deliver to Texas Southern in his pregame speech I think we should make a run at him.

Yeah, make Mitch Bonaguoro his Associate Head Coach and we go undefeated.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to say... But your opinions/posts are the definition of stupid.
Only KO's mom (aka Kathy) thinks otherwise. Wake up and come back to reality.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Doesn't make it right to bluntly call someone stupid when you don't even know them.

Reaction Score
Read what I wrote I'm ok with him gone and only want the best for UConn basketball as I am Basketball fan 1st. But I amtrusting our AD todo a thorough search and picknthe nest candidate. If thstvis Hurley so be it I will root like crazy for us to be successful. But Hurley was annointed by many on this board without any consideration of who else might be out there.
We've all considered others. It also doesn't matter who we consider, it matters who Benedict considers. And the timeline we're going to see in public isn't the timeline that actually happened.

Reaction Score
Calhoun was hired in 1986 to replace Dom Perno, following a search that narrowed to Calhoun, Mitch Buonaguro and Nick Macarchuk.
I know for a fact Macarchuk & Buonaguro were considered. At St. Thomas More I spoke to Nick for an hour about it. His take on the UConn situation is interesting to say the least.

Next time I will PM you and we can meet up! :)

Reaction Score
It was a month long process and Calhoun was not the only one interviewed.
John Toner had some other candidates, but specifically who are you suggesting he actually interviewed in the purported "national search"? Names? "National search"?

Reaction Score
So, honestly here, give me your list. Which coaches from which schools should we be looking to poach?

Izzo! Coach K 10 years ago! Wright (only if he has a deep run here)! Self (only if he makes a deep run as well)! Brad Stevens!

Reaction Score
I know for a fact Macarchuk & Buonaguro were considered. At St. Thomas More I spoke to Nick for an hour about it. His take on the UConn situation is interesting to say the least.

Next time I will PM you and we can meet up! :)
Would be an interesting conversation

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Doesn't make it right to bluntly call someone stupid when you don't even know them.
Oh don't get me wrong I'm not calling You stupid... Just your opinion on this particular topic. It's misinformed and holds little to no water.

You may very well be a smart individual, its just that you let your emotions trump actual facts, therefore, your gonna get some pushback

Reaction Score
John Toner had some other candidates, but specifically who are you suggesting he actually interviewed in the purported "national search"? Names? "National search"?
I answered that already.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
He's all you've talked about for months.

Please understand. Some if that is wishful thinking. Some of it is acknowledging the reality. I like him. He’s far from perfect. He is local, and can recruit here. He has a UConn guy on his bench. JC’s long time right-hand man, George Blaney is the most important guy in inspiring him to keep playing and coaching. He has an Irish last name and a fiery temper on the sidelines. He’s taken a small school about as far as it can go. He asked JC to speak to his team this year (Ollie did not).

Surely you can see that there is something of a match here? Benedict has done a search. I guarantee it. But coaches are being hired rapidly. One thing I like about Hurley is that I think he’d stay here 20 years if he succeeds. Many other candidates wouldn’t.

Reaction Score
He may become a successful coach again. So long as he doesn’t cost UConn many millions in his buyout, I will hope he does. I think he personally needs to get away from here for it to happen.

But let’s be clear. UConn was probably the single worst coached team in D1 basketball last year. I have no doubt that many high school teams were better coached. He was astonishingly awful.

Is Hurley the answer? Who the hell knows. But I’d sooner let almost anybody give a try compared to having KO back.
So you're willing to fire Ollie, give him his $10 millions he's owed then sign Hurley for 5 years $15 million and not sure he's the answer? The state of Connecticut must be printing money.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Spend the money. Go poach a proven coach from a big program who is a good X/O’s guy who has a name and can recruit. MAKE A SPLASH. Someone kids know and want to play for. Combine that with our 4 NC’s and kids will know we are serious about getting back to the top of the mountain.

There's no one who would be a 'splash' hire that would come here. A splash is a top 10, top 15 hire. Why would any leave to come to UCONN?

The only schools you leave a Top 15 job for are Duke, UK, UNC, and Kansas. Maybe UCLA too.

I mean, way outside shot Buzz Williams would come here I guess? Bruce Pearl maybe? I dunno.

Reaction Score

There's been numerous threads and discussion regarding candidates over the last week. You're in one of those threads right now.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So you're willing to fire Ollie, give him his $10 millions he's owed then sign Hurley for 5 years $15 million and not sure he's the answer? The state of Connecticut must be printing money.

Pay Ollie $10m? Hell no. Not a dime if possible.

Reaction Score

This search has been on for months at this point. That's how this uber high level of hiring works.

Latecomers like oats are good, but too much of a risk. Hed be good for a high risk/high reward school like ECF though.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
There's no one who would be a 'splash' hire that would come here. A splash is a top 10, top 15 hire. Why would any leave to come to UCONN?

The only schools you leave a Top 15 job for are Duke, UK, UNC, and Kansas. Maybe UCLA too.

I mean, outside shot Buzz Williams would come here I guess? Bruce Pearl maybe? I dunno.
Would love Buzz Williams, but don't see it happening

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't think they'll pay him the full $10m first of all. Would you rather we continue to be one of the worst teams in the country to save on the buyout? Maybe we could improve to a Top 100 team.

And you are going to have to give somebody that contract. So given that fact, who do you give it to?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom