Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

Reaction Score
Has Hurley ever coached a D1 big man ?????

How about a decent player over 6-9 ?

Was that not a major complaint the last 5 years not developing bigs ?

3 guard offence 2.0?

Hence why the Carlton rumors ?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

3 guard offence 2.0?

That tends to be mid major ball. When your coach is coming from the mid major circuit, that's close to being true for everybody.

Reaction Score
Yes I can say that if I want. It's my right. It's not personally attacking anyone. I'm just spiteful and hope people regret their choices. I will always love UCONN though. That will never change even if we suck.
But you’re not a fan when you say things like that. You would literally rather watch Uconn burn to ground over the firing of a former coach? Maybe you should post somewhere else this is a fan message board.

Reaction Score
you're right. coaching someone 6'9" is completely different than coaching someone who is 6'9.5"

6-9 my be a suitable mid-major big. But its not going to get us where we are planning to go.

Don’t ya think Recruits who are bigs don’t look at this stuff when picking a school???

KO was bashed for his lack of getting bigs and his development of the ones he could get.

BUT Hurley’s lack of bigs or even experience with them is fine right?

Reaction Score
Who's trolling who. What business is it to you what I like or don't. This boatd does do a lot of ganging up and bullying people. Worse than I have seen after working in schools for the last 23 years. People have different opinions it would be nice if the adults on this board respected that.
But that person is literally rooting for the demise of our program. He has made the statement multiple times, he’s admitted it again here, and even said he’s spiteful and hopes we us lose. It’s not an opinion to be rooting for our school’s demise. That’s a troll.

Reaction Score
6-9 my be a suitable mid-major big. But its not going to get us where we are planning to go.

Don’t ya think Recruits who are bigs don’t look at this stuff when picking a school???

KO was bashed for his lack of getting bigs and his development of the ones he could get.

Watch some games and you will see most teams aren't trotting out giants. Even the best. UA and Duke are outliers.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

3 guard offence 2.0?

Is this a real question? He’s a basketball coach, so yes. Had Ollie ever coached a big man? Oh wait...I forgot, he had never coached anybody. Look at that wonderful work he did with Brimah. Four years and he didn’t progress.

Hurley has been a head coach in HS and at multiple D1 schools. I like those kinds of guys. Our prior coach spent time at Dedham high not far from me. I want a damned basketball coach. Not an ex player who is trying to learn how to coach on the job, and who should have started at the bottom.

If Carlton is thinking of leaving because he thinks the level of coaching he’s going to receive is about to get worse, then he needs to think more carefully. I like his game, and think a new coach can make him a much better player. I hope he stays.

Reaction Score

No, I don't think a 6'10" recruit is going to say "you know what, you've only coached guys who are 6'9" so I don't want to play for you."

How many mid-majors thrive with a bunch of 6'10" guys? It's next to impossible to get a 4* 6'10-7'0" at a mid-major. When they are available there are usually $tring$ attached or a dad/uncle/cousin gets a spot on the coaching staff

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Kevin Freeman and Rod Sellers called, they beg to differ.

Reaction Score
NY Post supplying plently of Helium for Hurley last few days.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yep. I guess you could say this was his only coaching blemish. Everything else was humming on all cylinders.

Reaction Score
Double Standard....

KO sucked at coaching bigs.

Hurley has never had even a good Big in his carrer...

I thought we are trying to fix things that are not working... One of those was Bigs both coaching and recruiting. For success we need a big strong front line.. Or we can watch ourselves get thrown around for 5 more years.

Reaction Score
Double Standard....

I thought we are trying to fix things that are not working... One of those was Bigs both coaching and recruiting. For success we need a big strong front line.. Or we can watch ourselves get thrown around for 5 more years.
Hurley has had good bigs. They just don' fit your definition of what a "big" is

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
UC does have a history of having a BIG in the lane. They haven't been prolific scorers or boarders, but they were BIG and perhaps influenced decisions regarding going directly to the rim.

Reaction Score
I have been watching URI pretty much all season. Most have watched 1-3 games. Here is reality. The grass is not greener.

Firing Ollie for a coach with a lesser winning percentage in 2 lesser conferences. Was really not what I thought was a great idea.

Spend the money. Go poach a proven coach from a big program who is a good X/O’s guy who has a name and can recruit. MAKE A SPLASH. Someone kids know and want to play for. Combine that with our 4 NC’s and kids will know we are serious about getting back to the top of the mountain.

We dont have time or the situation to try for lightning in a bottle. Hurley is a bigger gamble than most here who drank the Hurley cool aid think.

Hurley is not a upgrade from Ollie. He is about the same just a different face.. Ollie is better recruiting. JA, DH, AG.... And we were in the mix on several big time guys who went elsewhere that are now being chased after for paying recruits. Hurley never even got on any top 50 final lists.. And dont say its due to conference when everyone says the AAC is so bad.. Is it that better than the A10?

If we are a BIG school go get a big coach. If not we will be a middle of the conference team.. Bet on it.

I support KO’s firing. But I want a upgrade a real upgrade. This is not 1985.

It’s 2018 and we have 4 freakin NC’s and we are looking a a A10 coach with a record under .600
An upgrade merely requires making the tournament more than once every four season. Hurley resurrected 2 low level programs, from dumpster fire to top 25 in the case of Rhode Island, and did it with less talent, less investments in their athletics, and less history. Not concerned about him beating the very low bar left by KO over the past four seasons.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Double Standard....

Inverson was officially listed as 6’10”. Hurley had a 6’11” guy at Wagner.

Do we know that he had no successful bigs in 9 years at St. Benedict’s?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
If we even we had a PF as good as Hassan Martin I would be more than happy. I'm not even super gung-ho about Hurley but good lord.

Out of curiosity, who would be your guy?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Then how can you say he can't coach them? He has never had 6'10+ big perhaps. But his guys down low have been good. And played the position well for their size.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom