Is Hurley Really The Answer? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Is Hurley Really The Answer?

Reaction Score
Falling back on the title as why the KO of March 2018 is better than all of these candidates is embarrassingly lazy.

I've been one of the loudest and most annoying arguers on behalf of KO getting the credit for 2014, so I think I have some credibility in saying this; he is not the same coach he was back then, in terms of game-planning, player development, and putting in the requisite effort in all areas of the job. He was great back then, and the performance of the past two years has shown he can no longer replicate those peaks of success.
@Stainmaster, his divorce was a major reason for his lack of success the past few seasons. His success the frst 2 seasons were no fluke. He was starting to move in the right direction again until the announcement of his firing. He will get his chance again and you will see the star that he is.

Reaction Score
@Stainmaster, his divorce was a major reason for his lack of success the past few seasons. His success his first 2 seasons were no fluke. He was starting to move in the right direction again until the announcement of his firing. He will get his chance again and you will see the star that he is.
Is he sitting next to you telling you what to write?

Reaction Score
@Stainmaster, his divorce was a major reason for his lack of success the past few seasons. His success his first 2 seasons were no fluke. He was starting to move in the right direction again until the announcement of his firing. He will get his chance again and you will see the star that he is.
We were worse this year than last year. How exactly was that trending in the right direction?

Reaction Score
Hate to get in the way of this flameout, but not being sure about Hurley is 100% OK and something most of us agree on. You look at the body of work, the ability to put together a staff, regional connections, trajectory of teams you've coached and maximum upside with potentially better players. Factored in it seems obvious the Hurley has a good shot a putting on in a better place than we've been the past 2 years. Not just that, the likelihood that we would have a shot at consistently making the Tournament the #1 goal.

That said, the Tournament is a pretty good place for less publicized Coaches to audition and be evaluated. I wouldn't close the door to bringing any of them in for consideration even if they don't meet some of the other metrics. Good coaching and winning has a way of selling itself. And if you consistently beat the teams just ahead of you, eventually you get to the top of the ladder. Different times for sure but we've been there before.
Agree for the most part, no one should be 100% sold on Hurley. He's not a 100% sure thing candidate. The problem is, those sure thing options aren't available right now. Hurley is a very good candidate with a good resume and of the available candidates makes the most sense in this decision process which is no more than a calculated risk. Nate Oats winning one game over Arizona is not enough by itself to slow everything down and completely reconsider.

Reaction Score
I haven't gotten any sense whatsoever that anybody, let alone "many people" (written with mismatched verb form), think Hurley "is closest thing to God." This, plus @Kathy 's Like, and @UConn_Top_Dog' s general foolishness in this thread leads me toward believing that between 1-3 of them are trolling. I'll play safe and say 2, but that doesn't mean I'm complimenting the 3rd.
Who's trolling who. What business is it to you what I like or don't. This boatd does do a lot of ganging up and bullying people. Worse than I have seen after working in schools for the last 23 years. People have different opinions it would be nice if the adults on this board respected that.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
@Stainmaster, his divorce was a major reason for his lack of success the past few seasons. His success the frst 2 seasons were no fluke. He was starting to move in the right direction again until the announcement of his firing. He will get his chance again and you will see the star that he is.

????

What team were you watching this year?

Your subjective opinions are very far from the actual reality of the situation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
People are not complaining about Hurley, at least I'm not. I like Hurley. I just question whether Hurley is the best choice. It seems like so many have decided he's the anointed one and attack anyone who questions whether Hurley is the best choice. There should be room for differences of opinion without the constant put downs and attacks.

Who really is "attacking" people for thinking Hurley is the best available choice?

If you post an opinion, and people don't agree, that's not attacking. That's just offering a difference of opinion...to your difference of opinion.

They are certainly going to attack your reasoning. That' the whole point.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
No I see no difference. UMBC beat Virginia. That's all you need to look at. Doesn't matter who is on the floor. Basketball is basketball. You are either good or you suck.
ray.jpg

Reaction Score
As coach K said at halftime. Duke has been making shots and URI hasn't. The coach can't shoot it for them. Duke is much better team as they should be. Hurley would be a great addition to uconn. Let's face it he can't be any worse then KO. No offense, defense, recruits the past couple years.

I'm sure nobody wants that standard applied - that he's no worse than Ollie. I'm sure we'll see improvement and hopefully a lot of improvement if Hurley's the coach but I'd still like them to take a good hard look at Oats before finalizing their decision..

Reaction Score
I'm sure nobody wants that standard applied - that he's no worse than Ollie. I'm sure we'll see improvement and hopefully a lot of improvement if Hurley's the coach but I'd still like them to take a good hard look at Oats before finalizing their decision..
A hard look at what part of Oats? What about his resume and qualifications makes him so incredibly appealing? That his team made 15 3s and beat the most overrated coach of the last quarter century?

Reaction Score
????

What team were you watching this year?

Your subjective opinions are very far from the actual reality of the situation.
@Stainmaster, I am not talking about wins or losses. I am sure you've never been divorced before. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you for to understand.

Reaction Score
I thought we’d get rid of the Ollie fans(not UConn fans) after he was fired. I guess not. These guys are becoming weird. I don’t normally block but these tales are making me reconsider
They're just as delusional as Kevin is thinking he can get his job back. The company Ollie keeps is very telling of what kind of person he is

Reaction Score

And if buffalo gets blasted by UK, which appears to be happening, who’s the hot new name we need to be looking at?

Reaction Score
I think he'll be a good coach. He just burned too many bridges here and it was time for him to move on. A fresh start will help him.

His (possible) success elsewhere does not invalidate the fact that he needed to go elsewhere.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
@Stainmaster, I am not talking about wins or losses. I am sure you've never been divorced before. Hopefully that doesn't happen to you for to understand.

Leaving aside the fact that I have no idea what impact his divorce had on his work.

Rightly or wrongly, a big time college coach doesn't have the luxury to fall back on that as an excuse. He's paid many millions to rise above that. It is what it is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom