Iowa State Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Iowa State Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Not sure what the tech was for, unless he’s a ventriloquist. He’s just standing there, not gesturing or doing anything and his lips weren’t moving. Unless maybe he said something five seconds earlier before the camera was on him.
He definitely said something. Hurley didn’t protest after the ref gave him an explanation. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hawkins not going back in was Hurley sending a message. I’m sure Hawkins will learn and move on.

Reaction Score
Yeah, when I saw Alleyne at VTech he was more of a spot up shooter. Here he is trying to drive too much. We really don't need him to do that with Hawkins, Diarra, Newton and AJ who do it better.
What’s weird is that he just looks so clumsy. Can’t catch the ball or dribble or stay on balance. His turnovers were like scared freshman turnovers from someone not used to the speed of the game. I think Newton actually got two turnovers that should have been Alleyne’s - hit him in the hands. At least one near the mid court stripe - not sure if he threw the entry to him.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
This is everything I hoped for pre-season. DH is proving himself in these games that he can manage a squad when he has the right pieces and these pieces, they are GOOD.

So much teamwork, very little selfish play and that's huge. Keeps them all in the game and if someone is locked down or having an off night it's getting picked up elsewhere. The confidence under fire is impressive - Iowa tried to rally several times and each time UConn held it off and reopened the lead.

I love how there are a bunch of different rotations and some of them (mainly when AS and DC swap) are wildly different and really seem to help throw our opponent's tempo off.

The speed of our guys getting down court is impressive - there is just hustle every time. That hustle is seen everywhere, up by 16pts with 1.5mins to go? Still battling for steals and rebounds. Other than those couple slow starting games the team has shown full commitment to every single game and every minute.

AJ answered us tonight, he can get the jam going and even make those 3s. We know he's pretty good from the line too. If he could double his production I think that would be enough to round him out more, I saw his fingers were still taped so I'm willing to buy into the whole "he's not 100 yet" story. His D was OTT tonight, Walton was going nuts for him.

Joey friggin' Buckets man, sure he got blown by on that one drive when he looked away but man does he hustle and his shot, straight up sniper. If we need a guaranteed point I want it in his or Newton's hands. He's got a good handle too which I wasn't expecting based on how he was pitched pre-season.

Donovan Clingan is a beast. I call him 4 because that's how many inches he has to jump to put the ball in. Such clean D too. I wonder if he picked #32 because of Walton or if it is just a coincidence, if he wants to model himself on a someone there are certainly few better to choose from. I just hope we don't start seeing pics of DC clinging to the trees on campus :D

Newton has proved himself above and beyond what I think some of us were expecting - his ability to draw fouls and make shots is impressive. I was hoping for a solid player but he's better than that, to me he's like a Swiss Army Knife - he just does whatever is needed whether it's a steal, rebound, 3pter, drawing fouls... he's there and doing it.

I think we all agree, we're seeing that damn 2nd weekend this year.

Reaction Score
Wait until we actually play well. 6 points combined from Hawk and Songo. 17 turnovers (seemed like more). But we can overcome it unlike the past because we are Super deep at every position. Many weapons. Contributions from all. Let's enjoy this!!!!!

I’d give Iowa State some credit, they make you look ugly. We just have too much.

Reaction Score
This team has the defensive skills to fend off a run without too much trouble. They have shown, IMO the toughness that DH made points of early on in the season. They have Spitability on offense. But they feel kind of herky jerky to me.
I think that 3 more months of games under their belt, they will be a well oiled machine with the ability to beat anyone in the country. They're that good. Gonna be a good flight home. Go Huskies!!

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Worst game we’ve played, probably by some distance, and we beat a pretty good Iowa State team by 18

I’d argue the only guard that played well was Joey C. Who would thought we’d be saying that?

Hawkins-Non-existent, played himself out of the game. If he doesn’t learn to pump fake and drive, he’s not gonna be hard to guard.

Alleyne-Jesus, I mean, he doesn’t offer much besides some good defense from time to time. Hoping he starts hitting shots, but he’s careless with the ball and not much of a creator.

Diarra-Stepped in and played alright, hit that big buzzer beater that halted momentum into half. Not a good shooter and hasn’t driven much. But he is a good complementary piece who defends and rebounds well

Newton-So careless with the ball. 8 turnovers. Hit some very timely shots and played pretty good defense, but when he was pressured he made some awful plays.

Joey C-Gotta love the kid. I was super skeptical early. Still gets beat pretty easily on D, but he rebounds a lot better than I expected, and rarely puts a foot wrong on offense. Love it.

Sanogo-One of the typical Sanogo off games. I’m a little worried early season with him honestly. I know he’s put up good numbers, but his rim protection has been significantly worse than last season, and he doesn’t seem to be getting in great positions on offense, getting push out of the lane a little too often. He’ll be fine, but…

Clingan-My gosh, kid is playing tremendous. Great defensively, doesn’t foul, just uses his length. Great rebounding, knows where to be and boxes out well also. Once he starts dunking EVERYTHING like he should, he’s gonna be hard to keep off the floor.

Karaban-Extension of the coach on the floor. Shoots tremendous in rhythm, makes great cuts, and mostly makes the best play. Needs to box out weakside better, but that’s nitpicking.

We’re really, really good. Excited to see everyone click, that’s gonna be a sight to see.

Good summary. Newton is smooth but he’s a bit nonchalant against pressure. Still an excellent piece who makes big plays.

Donovan and to a lesser extent AK have been such pleasant surprises. I thought they’d contribute but this is great, poised basketball from 2 frosh.

We’re so versatile and this team defends, HARD. Not to mention being one of the best top to bottom rebounding teams in the country.

We haven’t even had a FULL performance from the top 5-6 guys. And we’re still winning by almost 20.

Really starting to love this team man.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Iowa State might have the best defense in the country. They were impressive

They foul too much to be the best, but they're good.

Reaction Score
Looked like he was cramping.
Yeah I saw that too so hopefully nothing serious. He would of been beneficial in the second half when we needed anothe ball handler to handler their pressure.

Reaction Score
We're at the point of giving credit to a team that lost by triple the spread?

Dumb. The point is our offense looked ugly relative to the way it has previously because Iowa State makes you look that way. Unless you thought the backcourt violations looked cool.

And we still won by 18 because we have a ton of weapons.

Reaction Score
It's been a while since UConn held some hardware, this is just the beginning...

FioGhGMacAErOrm.jpeg

Reaction Score
He got beat a couple time and we adjusted.
He got beat more than a couple of times. I’m not crapping on the guy. It’s just something the team has to game plan around, like by putting him with a rim protector (the thing they did and the part of my point you omitted). I actually think he’s held up defensively much better than expected so far this year.

Reaction Score
Again, quality depth. It doesn't matter who is on the floor they get it done.
Diarra coming in and running the offense with Hawk and Newton on the bench with fouls.
Joey comes in and sparks a run. Yea he got torched a couple of times but he should have had some help and makes up for it in other ways.
Clingan comes in with Sanogo in foul trouble and struggling some and changes the game.
Andre was just straight obscene. His passing, rebounding and defense were absurd and he polished that up by scoring as well.
All this against a great defensive team pressuring them hard the entire game.
There is a lot of games left and much will happen that we don't like.
There is also a lot to like here early.

Reaction Score
It's been a while since UConn held some hardware, this is just the beginning...

View attachment 81216
I hope Adama is having fun. He’s the pre-season Big East player of the year, but is being challenged for minutes by a freshman. It’s a great problem for us to have as a team, but I hope Adama can adjust to the role. Have we ever had two dominant big men on the same team?

Reaction Score
I’d give Iowa State some credit, they make you look ugly. We just have too much.
Uconn destroyed a zone, out ran a running team and beat a team that makes you play ugly and all the games were pretty much over with 5 min left. This team has many ways to beat teams and that is going to be a problem for any team we face. We never got that quick 10-12 point run that takes about a minute but we kept chipping away and next thing you know we`re up 14 for what seemed most of the last 10 minutes of the game. At no time did this game feel like we were going to lose it just felt frustrating not being able to pull away completely while our best players were on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom