Iowa St. Got Cheated (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Iowa St. Got Cheated (merged thread)

Reaction Score
Iowa State coach had nothing in terms of running any sort of definitive in bounds plays or once it was inbounded it tended to be one kid dribbling to the bucket, no screens, hoping to draw a foul. Unless its flagrant, at that juncture of the game, the refs tend not to blow the whistle. Funny, yet sad, to watch that one player’s Dad act up. Thought that behavior stopped at the club or premier level of sports.

Reaction Score
NBA and WNBA officials are bad, mcbb worse and wcbb absolutely horrendous. I think it was the UCLA game where a charge was called when the defender was under the basket.

Reaction Score
The referees were terrible and so too were the TV announcers. The head referee was the one who called jump ball, even though she was blocked out of the play. Spending 10 minutes to see if the elbows were thrown with bad intent was a bit too much. Head referee in the middle of everything (in a bad way) and the other two just nodding their heads. Seemed like the last 4 minutes took half an hour.

Iowa State made a mess of things in so many ways as already mentioned. A couple more, not sure if mentioned: With a 6-10 point lead, they are letting A&M roll the ball to the half court line, saving precious seconds. Two potential defenders practically backing up off the court as the player dribbled in for the winning shot. Dribbling into a trap when the other team has to foul.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I hate to get into referee complaints...I know that they exists...but, it always gets down to "they made bad calls both ways". I would rather celebrate two wonderful women's college basketball players. Jordan Nixon and Ashley Jones were unbelievable. They were poised, determined and talented. At the end of the game...I watch Jordan's interview and it was inspirational...she cried not because of her own achievements but because her coach and her team mates had the confidence in her to let her do her thing and to go for the win. There may have been some poor officiating and I am inclined to agree with the original post but I don't want to take away from celebrating two great athletes and their wonderful contribution to making this game the most exciting of the round of 32

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That was awful. The jump ball call where the defender wasn't touching the basketball, the no-call on the drive to the hoop with 5 seconds left. I thought the refs did a poor job in the UConn game last night. The Troy game was a complete disaster. This is the best we can do?
Gotta remember, with few exceptions, the there is no crossover of refs who do men or women in D1. Don’t know if say, lower level men’s refs do women’s games. Lots of refs needed. There is a lot of lousy reffing in the men’s game to. Used to be only 2 refs worked games. One extra ref is 50% more people. Theoretically the NCAA a should be better Far fewer games a day and supposedly the best refs get to do the tournament, so 2 refs vs. 3 shouldn’t matter. Somehow. still a lot of bad reffing.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
According to social media, that's Joens' father. With, ahem, a bit of a history of demonstrative body language in the audience, lol.
I’ve seen that parent up close. One of my oldest granddaughter’s teammates had a mother like that. You could not sit next to or near her and enjoy the game. I remember she was asked to leave the gym once during a tournament game.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Gotta remember, with few exceptions, the there is no crossover of refs who do men or women in D1. Don’t know if say, lower level men’s refs do women’s games. Lots of refs needed. There is a lot of lousy reffing in the men’s game to. Used to be only 2 refs worked games. One extra ref is 50% more people. Theoretically the NCAA a should be better Far fewer games a day and supposedly the best refs get to do the tournament, so 2 refs vs. 3 shouldn’t matter. Somehow. still a lot of bad reffing.
It’s interesting that as a spectator in the stands you can see EVERYTHING, while an official can be standing 5-7 feet away and not see it. ?

Reaction Score
I’ve seen that parent up close. One of my oldest granddaughter’s teammates had a mother like that. You could not sit next to or near her and enjoy the game. I remember she was asked to leave the gym once during a tournament game.

I'm trading in unconfirmed message board information here, but apparently the coach of Iowa (not State) didn't bite on Joens because of the father's behavior. I can respect that if it's true - Geno would've been the same.

If Iowa had Joens and Clark, we probably wouldn't be playing them in this round because they'd have been better than a 5 seed for sure.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s interesting that as a spectator in the stands you can see EVERYTHING, while an official can be standing 5-7 feet away and not see it. ?
Among the problems are when an out of position ref makes a call not made by a ref in perfect position. But there are definitely some things that you can see clearly on TV, a bit closer than the cheap seats, that are pretty bad calls or no calls. officiating in women’s games is weaker than in the men’s game, which is a bit curious given that the pace and athleticism is generally not as quick.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Among the problems are when an out of position ref makes a call not made by a ref in perfect position. But there are definitely some things that you can see clearly on TV, a bit closer than the cheap seats, that are pretty bad calls or no calls. officiating in women’s games is weaker than in the men’s game, which is a bit curious given that the pace and athleticism is generally not as quick.
There were two no calls in the final minutes of the Iowa State game, either one of which would have allowed Iowa State to win. Both non calls took the ball out of their possession.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I still remember Diamond DeShields' father demands her to be the WNBA #1 draft. I guess nobody can beat Diamond DeShields' father in big mouth.

Reaction Score
No she wasn't.
She did! Just because Griner was different(big girl) people get away with a lot of contact when guarding her. If you watch any of the semi or finals game in 2012 against Stanford and Notre dame, Griner’s defenders are constantly getting away with lots of contact. She made a lot of shots through those contact but there were a lot of them that should’ve been and-1s but it was never called!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
TA&M obviously should not have been a #2 seed. Only with a lot of help from the referees have they made it soon. I think the committee overseeded them and underseeded Baylor so they could set up a UConn-Baylor game.
I think perhaps you should take a longer view at the seeding of all of the SEC teams, each of which have under performed. TAMU and SCar are the last two remaining from "the best conference in WCBB". Their easiest game to date? I don't think TAMU gets by Arizona. That would leave what seems to my eyes, an under performing SCar as the last SEC team in the E8. An E8 that could, from my vantage, have 3 PAC 12 teams. People like @nwhoopfan and I have been saying for the last few years that the PAC 12 is the best conference in WCBB, and once again it's shown to be true. I think it's time for the NCAA seeding crew to stop believing the hype coming from down south, stop the east coast bias and start recognizing that most of the better teams are west of the Mississippi.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Why does this game remind me of the Baylor Louisville game 8 years ago? Griner got mauled all game and we lose by 1 possession! I know how the Iowa states fan feel
And Louisville got their payback the next game. Just as TAMU will get theirs.

Reaction Score
And Louisville got their payback the next game. Just as TAMU will get theirs.
This year’s a&m team remind me of the South Carolina 2016 team where they somehow would win all their close games! That year ended with them losing in the sweet sixteen against Syracuse

Reaction Score
This makes me recall the National Championship game between UCONN and Syracuse. Their was one official who made three bogus calls in the first half against UCONN. A walk against Moria that took a way her three point basket, replay clearly showed she hadn't walked, a foul against Moria on a three point shot, replay clearly showed no contact. A six point turn around just before halftime. I don't believe I have ever seen that official again. So, I assume that they do review the game and grade the officials. Getting really good officials is imperative NCAA. I also watched the Iowa State game and turned it off when it went to OT because I knew Texas A&T were going to win and they didn't deserve to due to subpar officianating.
I couldn’t watch the overtime either.
Kinda knew what was going to happen and didn’t need to witness it.

Reaction Score
She did! Just because Griner was different(big girl) people get away with a lot of contact when guarding her. If you watch any of the semi or finals game in 2012 against Stanford and Notre dame, Griner’s defenders are constantly getting away with lots of contact. She made a lot of shots through those contact but there were a lot of them that should’ve been and-1s but it was never called!
Well... Jordan Barncastle didn't get away with it :D:D

Reaction Score
Iowa State coach had nothing in terms of running any sort of definitive in bounds plays or once it was inbounded it tended to be one kid dribbling to the bucket, no screens, hoping to draw a foul. Unless its flagrant, at that juncture of the game, the refs tend not to blow the whistle. Funny, yet sad, to watch that one player’s Dad act up. Thought that behavior stopped at the club or premier level of sports.
Reacting to your child getting jobbed by a ref, or by anyone really, has no statute of limitations on it. I too would have reacted badly if my child had been cheated by some incompetent or biased ref!

Reaction Score
it would have been better if the cameras did not show the dad’s behavior. Certainly did not need to see that. Embarrassing. Felt for the kid.
Unless there was a lot the clip didn’t show, I fail to see why that was embarrassing? He was pissed because his kid just got screwed by an incompetent or biased ref! I would be proud if he was my Dad. (Unless there was way more than what I saw)

Reaction Score
Since when did refereeing become a perfect science? The losing team always thinks the ref hosed them. For every foul someone thinks a ref missed...there's one they missed for the team that won. I'm of the belief that there are more offensive fouls than defensive fouls in the women's game. The Chelsea Dungees and Sophie Cunninghams barreling over and pushing off defenders is just as much a "missed call". And just because you threw yourself to the ground in a dramatic fashion with your ponytail flying...shouldn't be rewarded. And the father...should be banned. His reaction was OVER THE TOP. It's a GAME.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom