Iowa St. Got Cheated (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Iowa St. Got Cheated (merged thread)

Reaction Score
Since when did refereeing become a perfect science? The losing team always thinks the ref hosed them. For every foul someone thinks a ref missed...there's one they missed for the team that won. I'm of the belief that there are more offensive fouls than defensive fouls in the women's game. The Chelsea Dungees and Sophie Cunninghams barreling over and pushing off defenders is just as much a "missed call". And just because you threw yourself to the ground in a dramatic fashion with your ponytail flying...shouldn't be rewarded. And the father...should be banned. His reaction was OVER THE TOP. It's a GAME.

Officiating is not an exact science, and most coaches know the 50-50 calls will balance out over the course of a game, as will judgement calls, but the calls that started this thread were neither of those, and they came at game point. The phantom jump ball call and the no—call with 3 seconds left had nothing to do with science at all, and to quote Abe Lemons on the non-call, “there are places that you would have got jail time for that”.

BTW, my favorite Abe Lemons quote was about scheduling: “we went to a tournament in Alaska and they called us honorary Alaskans, then we went to Hawaii and they called us honorary Hawaiians, this year we are going to the Virgin Islands”.

Reaction Score
Just finished watching the Iowa St. Texas A&M game. A&M pushed, elbowed, hooked and hit Ashley Joens so many times and very few foul calls. The most egregious foul was at the end where Nixon hooked Ashley's arm as she drove the lane. All Carolyn Peck could do was talk about how she thought the ball was last touched by Ashley. Nothing about her arm being hooked. I don't want to hear you can't call a foul in the last few seconds. If it's a foul in the first few seconds, then it's a foul in the last few seconds. Sorry, Iowa St. You were ripped off. Once again A&M gets the benefit of no foul calls. They didn't deserve to make it to the second round. Whoever they play next, I hope they wipe you off the court.
All true, but Iowa also misplayed several possessions badly. They constantly had a player over-dribble, often into a trap which led to a turnover. They lost the game through their own poor play at the end. But the refs were clearly siding with the "home" team Texans.

Reaction Score
Officiating is not an exact science, and most coaches know the 50-50 calls will balance out over the course of a game, as will judgement calls, but the calls that started this thread were neither of those, and they came at game point. The phantom jump ball call and the no—call with 3 seconds left had nothing to do with science at all, and to quote Abe Lemons on the non-call, “there are places that you would have got jail time for that”.

BTW, my favorite Abe Lemons quote was about scheduling: “we went to a tournament in Alaska and they called us honorary Alaskans, then we went to Hawaii and they called us honorary Hawaiians, this year we are going to the Virgin Islands”.
I guess "game point" is the part of the game where people actually care whether a call was "good or bad". Joens shot 11 free throws during this game...6 more than anyone else. It appears no one noticed because...they were shot during NON "game point" when the refs apparently weren't trying to help A&M. Just because people only noticed the last minute of the game....doesn't mean the rest of the game never happened. I have no horse in this race. And these "missed calls" don't even rise to the level of the TROY game. There are IMO too many calls in the women's game...many which are initiated by the offensive player flopping or throwing their hands up wildly or jerking their heads. . The last play where Joens split two players and then fell...IMO was a flop. And lastly....the commentators. While they may sound biased at times...they do not determine the outcome. Turn the volume off. I think the end of the game reflected what usually happens when youth is outpaced by experience. Both teams played well...and only one could win.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Possession arrow rule sucks. Move to a jump ball. Stuck in primitive era. As soon as that tie up was called on Donarski, I knew the refs wanted to give the game to A&M.

Reaction Score
Did you see the Iowa State player's beer-bellied Dad going insane at the end of regulation? I thought he was gonna come down from the stands and attack the refs. Helicopter Dad.

Reaction Score
Refs should be more conservative in a close game down the stretch. Thats why the jump ball call was so bad. And, then they put the whistles away when the best player gets hacked down on the post. Complete incompetence.

Reaction Score
I guess "game point" is the part of the game where people actually care whether a call was "good or bad". Joens shot 11 free throws during this game...6 more than anyone else. It appears no one noticed because...they were shot during NON "game point" when the refs apparently weren't trying to help A&M. Just because people only noticed the last minute of the game....doesn't mean the rest of the game never happened. I have no horse in this race. And these "missed calls" don't even rise to the level of the TROY game. There are IMO too many calls in the women's game...many which are initiated by the offensive player flopping or throwing their hands up wildly or jerking their heads. . The last play where Joens split two players and then fell...IMO was a flop. And lastly....the commentators. While they may sound biased at times...they do not determine the outcome. Turn the volume off. I think the end of the game reflected what usually happens when youth is outpaced by experience. Both teams played well...and only one could win.

I too, have no dog in this fight, but watched the entire game not just the end. The non call wasn’t when she tried to split two players at the end of overtime, but at the end of regulation. I noticed how many free throws she shot- thought her excellent post moves earned her those, especially her up and under move. Never stated the rest of the game didn’t happen, but two atrocious calls with the game in balance are always going to be magnified, which led to the opinions in this 5 page thread. Since you’re replying to me, not sure why you’re telling me to turn down the volume, since I haven’t expressed an opinion on their performance in this entire thread.

Reaction Score
OK - sometimes we disagree with officiating crews, especially if we have a horse in the race.

But - this was bad.

Gotta believe many ISU fans think they were robbed, that sentiment is credible.

Watching the game was a rough house match with Texas bruising up ISU to take them out of their game.

Each time (of the many) the refs gave a free pass to a TX mugging I just couldn't belief it.

Bad for basketball.

I image there is some type of officiating review committee, if so this need be reviewed and if validated disciplinary action taken.

Next time out it could be directed at UConn.

Bad for basketball, bad for officiating, bad for the fans.

Reaction Score
The elbows on that foul were cradling the ball to her body, they were not away from her body at all, and she was getting fouled by two TA&M players long before that call.

It is sort of funny seeing a 2 seed using the 'Louisville defense' against a 7 seed. Louisville was a 5 seed and employed it against Griner and the overall #1 seed. TA&M hasn't shown they belong any where at the top of the seed table.
Louisville literally clawed their way to victory. 3 players fouled out "defending" Griner. 16 made three pointers by the Cardinals.
https://media.timesfreepress.com/im...h2b8e9df3ad9cd9394de5b01abc978b207564f5b8.jpg
Louisville vs. Baylor - Box Score - March 31, 2013 - ESPN

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Unfortunately I think this will be A&M’s easiest game to date
Hey Husky, crap happens. Maybe Arizona will get some of the calls A&M got against Iowa State. That would be poetic justice. ? I have no dog in that fight, but I hate to see any team get hosed the way Iowa State did.

Reaction Score
This fouling as much as you can get away with must be an SEC thing. In the Georga - Oregon game they were constantly beating the cr*p out of Sabally with no calls made. Then they would call a touch foul on the perimeter. They really need to improve officiating all across the board. There is more than one factor involved in why officiating is so poor.

Too begin with they should eliminate people who not posssess a minimum standard of vision, visual processing speed and player position anticipation. This could easily be tested with those that do not qualify should be eliminated at the beginning. There ar just too many officials that do not have the required skills to do a good job. Officiating is not being treated with the respect it deserves. I don't hold with the idea that bad calls are a part of the game. Human error certainly is, but that is no excuse not to try to eliminate the protential for human error.

Another problem is a lack of consistency in the level of contact allowed during games. We see some games where mugging is allowed and others where fouls are constantly called. The degree of contact has a definite influence on the game. Every officiating crew seems to operate under a different standard. You will always have some variance but not to the extreme we constantly see. They will also focus an specific areas during certain games. Sometimes they will focus on traveling calls. Other times the 3 second rule. I have been in the rooms with officials pregame and thats exactly what they do. It is a way to keep themselves sharp but is not condusive to consistency. If they had consistent training and remedial classes this would not be necessary.

Basketball is probably the hardest game to officiate, which is why it is really important to eliminate those that really are in over their heads from the get go. They might be getting the best officials available, but they are still being drawn from a very poor pool to begin with. Good officials, much like good announcers, have to possess superior abilities in certain areas. That is not the way the officiating pool is being run though. It should require just as much of an elimination process as the athletes playing on the fields and courts go though to get there. For athletes and other vocations, people who do not posssess certian stills are eliminated right in the beginning. However for officials they just allow anyone to begin officiating at the beginners levels.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom