Interesting - Never heard this story Re: Edsall vs Paul Johnson | The Boneyard

Interesting - Never heard this story Re: Edsall vs Paul Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That is awesome. Johnson made Edsall his bitch that day. Halftime adjustments? Johnson knew just what HCRE would do and scored from the 1st play from scrimmage in the 2nd half. And I believe he threw the team under the bus post-game.

Reaction Score
I heard that because we backed out of playing Navy, Army also refused to schedule us.

Reaction Score
That is a great story. Johnson also got the GTech job after Edsall interviewed for it. Smart choice by GTech.

Reaction Score
In that 2002 game at Annapolis, it rained to poured the entire game. Good win, crummy day. Post-2006 loss at The Rent, FHCRE expressed disgust with some chop blocks. No comment on the coaching execution that day.

Reaction Score
I was at both of the Navy games. The game at the Rent is still to this day the only game I ever left early from. The team clearly quit that day. We were so outplayed and even more outcoached that day it wasn't even funny.

This is interesting to read if it's true. Good story. And Edsall deserved that.

Reaction Score
That "article" doesn't even try to credit his story to any sources, it's a glorified message board post. But it fits into your Edsall bashing template so it must be true right? It's really sad the way our own fans rejoice in one of our worst and most embarrasing games the past 10 years just because they hate the coach.

Edsall was awful that day, but it wasn't all coaching. The whole team was awful. Offense, defense, everyone. Why would any UConn fan rejoice in remembering that game?

http://articles.courant.com/2006-10...3_1_triple-option-uconn-coach-huskies-defense

Navy entered the game last in the nation in passing offense and first in rushing yards. Wouldn't you know it? Navy's first play was a pass, a deep pass.
``We told our team to be alert for the play-action pass on the very first play,'' Edsall said.
``Our coaches told us they throw on the first play,'' said linebacker Danny Lansanah, the Big East defensive player of the week after the 14-7 Indiana win. ``You knew it was coming.''
``I don't think we were surprised,'' defensive tackle and team captain Rhema Fuller said.
OK, nobody was surprised. Everybody knew it was coming.
So why in the hell didn't they stop the 77-yard touchdown pass from Brian Hampton to slotback Reggie Campbell?

Anyone want to tell Lansanah and Fuller to stop throwing guys under the bus?

Reaction Score
Your comment, of course, will lead to the inevitable smirking that here come the Apologistas, starting another pro-Edsall discussion. Notwithstanding the fact that every single one of these discussions starts with people who hated him being unable to let go.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand why anyone would have to apologize for a record 19 games over .500 (despite making an upgrad), a 3-2 bowl record, 2 conference championships, and a BCS bid. Accomplishments that many thought would take decades to reach.

He had bad games, it happens. All in all, there isn't an impartial observer that doesn't think the job he did in 10 years here was anything short of outstanding.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand why anyone would have to apologize for a record 19 games over .500 (despite making an upgrad), a 3-2 bowl record, 2 conference championships, and a BCS bid. Accomplishments that many thought would take decades to reach.

He had bad games, it happens. All in all, there isn't an impartial observer that doesn't think the job he did in 10 years here was anything short of outstanding.

No, but there are an unlimited number of partial ones.

Reaction Score
If you coach 209 games at any NCAA level ... you're bound to get out coached at some point. Just like if you keep playing MAC opponents at home every year ... you're bound to lose to them eventually.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone revels ins ANY UConn loss. If Edsall' s smug ass did say that, then good for Paul Johnson.

At some point I would imagine the Edsall talk will dissipate as will the need for some to defend him of the criticism of anonymous posters on a message board.

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone revels ins ANY UConn loss. If Edsall' s smug ass did say that, then good for Paul Johnson.

At some point I would imagine the Edsall talk will dissipate as will the need for some to defend him of the criticism of anonymous posters on a message board.
Hey even the Aaron Hernandez talk eventually dissipated...and no, he still isn't coming to UCONN...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If Edsall's worst failure was being outcoached by Paul Johnson, then about 3/4 of the coaches in the ACC fall into the same boat.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Yes, the program made huge strides under Edsall, I think that's hard to dispute. But not all fans could warm up to him and part of the problem is that Edsall isn't really a likable guy. I think that could have been overlooked but for a few issues.

The improvement was rapid rather than a slow progression and that led to higher expectations. Year after year of 7-5 records, even though they were winning seasons and made UConn bowl eligible, left fans wishing for a breakout season with some signature wins.

There were also issues like the quality and watchability of the offense the past few years, the miserly refusal to give fans even the most harmless information and the perceived lack of aggression in recruiting. I think fans were just expecting more.

All those facts you quoted above are true, of course. There are fans that could attach a "yeah, but..." to many of them.

UConn's W-L record is 19 games above .500.....but it went 1-17 against ranked teams (and I think that one win was against USF which started strong and ended horribly that season)
UConn is 3-2 in bowls....but it's 1-2 against BCS teams in bowls
UConn has 2 conference championships....but was one of the least respected conference winners in the BCS

I know better than to post in this thread but there are some fans that seem to feel a need to ridicule fans that don't think the way they do. I'm not saying I, personally, am an anti-Randy or an Apologista, just that I can see where the other side is coming from (although I may not agree) and respect their opinion.

Reaction Score
Can we just cut and paste Nan's post into every Edsall discussion that surfaces on this board?

Reaction Score
Yes, the program made huge strides under Edsall, I think that's hard to dispute. But not all fans could warm up to him and part of the problem is that Edsall isn't really a likable guy. I think that could have been overlooked but for a few issues.

The improvement was rapid rather than a slow progression and that led to higher expectations. Year after year of 7-5 records, even though they were winning seasons and made UConn bowl eligible, left fans wishing for a breakout season with some signature wins.

There were also issues like the quality and watchability of the offense the past few years, the miserly refusal to give fans even the most harmless information and the perceived lack of aggression in recruiting. I think fans were just expecting more.

All those facts you quoted above are true, of course. There are fans that could attach a "yeah, but..." to many of them.

UConn's W-L record is 19 games above .500.....but it went 1-17 against ranked teams (and I think that one win was against USF which started strong and ended horribly that season)
UConn is 3-2 in bowls....but it's 1-2 against BCS teams in bowls
UConn has 2 conference championships....but was one of the least respected conference winners in the BCS

I know better than to post in this thread but there are some fans that seem to feel a need to ridicule fans that don't think the way they do. I'm not saying I, personally, am an anti-Randy or an Apologista, just that I can see where the other side is coming from (although I may not agree) and respect their opinion.

Sure we all wanted more wins, signature wins, and a breakout season. Why should anyone have to apologize or be ridiculed because we didn't get them?

Sure, we could have had a more wide open offense, but there's no guarantee that the results would have been any better...... see your 2011 UConn Football Huskies.

How many of those games against top 25 teams were we favored in? How many of those games were played during the upgrade period? Should we apologize for not beating Miami on the road when they were ranked #1?

Lack of information? There is even less information regarding injuries coming out from Pasqualoni. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. The depth chart is mildly accurate. He is even more stringent with information, especially injuries, but who complains? Nobody. Certainly not the people who complained about Edsall in that regard. Consistency anyone?

1-2 against BCS teams in bowls deserves an apology? In one we were double digit underdogs against a team good enough to challenge for a national championship, in the other we faced a team 1 hour from their campus in a road game. What is there to apologize for with that 1-2 record? In the lone win, we were an underdog, playing another virtual road game. No credit for that though.

Why should we apologize for the lack of respect shown to the Big East by other people? It's our fault, no, it's Randy Edsall's fault the big east sucks? What about the years where the big east was only behind the SEC/Big 10 in the computer rankings? We still didn't get respect. That's Edsall's fault? We should apologize for that?

As far as posters ridiculing others, you know which side does the majority of the childish ridiculing, and it's not the one that has a label attached to it.

The fact is, anyone who defends the job he dids (not praises, just defends) is accused of putting him on a pedastal and enshrining him in the hall of fame. And the fact is, those that dislike Edsall are the ones who think we should apologize because Edsall did not meet their expectations, despite surpassing the expectations of any rational human being.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Here come the apologistas! Right on cue! Telling other people what they should think. Still boring, I don't even skim it anymore.

Reaction Score
The fact is, anyone who defends the job he dids (not praises, just defends) is accused of putting him on a pedastal and enshrining him in the hall of fame. And the fact is, those that dislike Edsall are the ones who think we should apologize because Edsall did not meet their expectations, despite surpassing the expectations of any rational human being.

I call bull$h!t. That is all.

Reaction Score
Here come the apologistas! Right on cue! Telling other people what they should think. Still boring, I don't even skim it anymore.

I asked some questions about our accomplishments and why we should be apologizing for them, and you respond with the accusation that I'm telling people what they should think.

This does explain a lot. Most of you guys don't bother reading what your responding to because you're going to tell us what we posted anyway.

Reaction Score
I call bull$h!t. That is all.
Call it whatever you want, you're wrong. If you disagree, explain what nobody has done yet. What, exactly, are we apologizing for?

The nickname was given in 2006, after 2 straight losing seasons. Look at what has been accomplished since the name calling started, yet, we're told we still need to apologize for accomplishing what some of you said he would never accomplish if Edsall wasn't fired.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

That's the second time you said that. I admit I haven't read every post in every thread about Edsall but I don't remember ever seeing anyone ask for an apology for what Edsall has done at UConn.

On edit: make that three times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger