Interesting - Never heard this story Re: Edsall vs Paul Johnson | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Interesting - Never heard this story Re: Edsall vs Paul Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What Nan said was right on target. I never understood why the apologists loved mediocrity so much.
Just doesn't square with the facts.

I totally agree with Waquoit; he ultimately proved to not walk his talk. But, the accomplishment of establishing a Program (with a capital P) with all that entails is very big. He did a great job for laying the foundation. I do think HE took us as far as HE could. We still can get much much better. I simply think when you say "mediocrity", you have no recognition of what a "START-UP" is ... whether in business or in UConn football. It is something special. But ... as we know in my business ... it often is NOT the originator who gets the credit & makes the big money. Usually it is someone who can jump in and see how to take that entity to another level.

Reaction Score
Just doesn't square with the facts.

I totally agree with Waquoit; he ultimately proved to not walk his talk. But, the accomplishment of establishing a Program (with a capital P) with all that entails is very big. He did a great job for laying the foundation. I do think HE took us as far as HE could. We still can get much much better. I simply think when you say "mediocrity", you have no recognition of what a "START-UP" is ... whether in business or in UConn football. It is something special. But ... as we know in my business ... it often is NOT the originator who gets the credit & makes the big money. Usually it is someone who can jump in and see how to take that entity to another level.

One could easily make the argument that 2 of his final 3 teams underachieved, even taking into account the BCS appearance.

Reaction Score
There is something to be said about having a total lack of self-awareness. This guy preaches team above all, but when the time came for him to walk the walk and man up - he took a different flight and never looked back. How can anyone take his spew seriously now? Some players can't, one guy just says he would "keep his spirits up" because he had just three more months before he left the program.
I agree with that. But that doesn't diminish what was accomplished on the field, IMO. What the coaches and players have done here should be celebrated, not called mediocre.

Reaction Score
I NEVER said the accomplishments of the program were average. I said the coach was, and I believe he is. He was a GT (actually generous), he is at Maryland, he was at UConn.

How does such an average coach and ordinary person achieve anything other than mediocrity?

LUCK?

Reaction Score
"Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck." - Don Shula

I'm pretty sure the plan is to continue turning that luck we've had for awhile around.

Reaction Score
I hear you. I absolutely hated the 2 big east titles he won. Hated them.

I know. I loved winning the Big East last season while losing to Temple, Rutgers and Louisville while winning the biggest.

I also loved having WVU drop half a hundred plus 16 on us in 2007. I would love to see someone look into the eyes of WVU players and say "We were co-champions" with a straight face. I also loved losing Wake Forest in the third tier bowl game that year. I am sure they felt like they beat a champion that year.

Self hatred? I think not. It's looking at things with clear eyes.

Reaction Score
Luck is a wonderful thing to have. But a rotten thing to plan on having.

Actually, that quote comes from the Stanford coach when their QB was contemplating leaving early for the NFL.

Reaction Score
I don't have a concept of what a start up is? Please. How many start ups get the golden ticket to a BCS conference, a brand spankin new stadium and a state of the art training facility?

We came from trailers.... bla bla bla, bla bla, bla.

Come on guys, you're acting like Edsall created Microsoft in his garage. There were people who had a greater role than him in shaping progress. So tell me was he the only coach in the nation who could have achieved what he did? I think there were probably alot of coaches who would have surpassed what Edsall did.

Reaction Score
I don't have a concept of what a start up is? Please. How many start ups get the golden ticket to a BCS conference, a brand spankin new stadium and a state of the art training facility?

We came from trailers.... bla bla bla, bla bla, bla.

Come on guys, you're acting like Edsall created Microsoft in his garage. There were people who had a greater role than him in shaping progress. So tell me was he the only coach in the nation who could have achieved what he did? I think there were probably alot of coaches who would have surpassed what Edsall did.

you are a gentleman, and a scholar sir. well done

Reaction Score
Actually, that quote comes from the Stanford coach when their QB was contemplating leaving early for the NFL.

Actually I thought it was Stewart during the Holgerson debacle.

Reaction Score
Here come the apologistas! Right on cue! Telling other people what they should think. Still boring, I don't even skim it anymore.

I mostly disliked Edsall until HCPP. HCPP makes Edsall look like Lombardi.

Reaction Score
I appreciate all that Randy did to help build the UConn program.

The way he departed after the Fiesta Bowl was a rotten way to leave the program and more importantly the players he professed were "family".

What he did to build the program and the the lack of integrity he showed when he left are two different things. For me, character and integrity will always weigh more than accomplishments. What he accomplished in his time at UConn involved a lot of other people, coaches, players. How he left the program after the Fiesta Bowl is all on him.

Do I hate Randy? No, hate is too strong a word. Let's just say I am not a fan. I guess that is why I find it humorous that some of the Georgia Tech student body call him Rancid Pretzel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom