Interesting - Never heard this story Re: Edsall vs Paul Johnson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Interesting - Never heard this story Re: Edsall vs Paul Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's the second time you said that. I admit I haven't read every post in every thread about Edsall but I don't remember ever seeing anyone ask for an apology for what Edsall has done at UConn.

On edit: make that three times.

what is an "apologista" Nan?

Reaction Score
Someone who makes apologies for Edsall. And they do it voluntarily.

Who is apologizing? What apologies have I made? What did I apologize for?

After 2006 and 2 straight losing seasons, anyone who wanted to give Edsall more time was called an apologista.

After 4 straight winning seasons, 4 straight bowl games, 2 conference championships, and a BCS bid, we are still called apologistas.

What are we apologizing for? The success? Anyone willing to live with his warts, because they are at least satisfied with the results, is making apologies? The premise of your definition is 8ullsh!t.

Reaction Score
Sigh. Well, there's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

So because I find the results on the field, more important than the type of offense, I am voluntarily apologizing for the coach? Because I'm satisfied with multiple championships, bowl games, and a bcs bid, then I am voluntarily apologizing for the lack of personality or access to the program?

In order to come to that conclusion Nan, you need me to accept your premise that a defense of the coach is an apology for something done wrong. But I don't agree with your premise that the lack of top 25 wins is a serious complaint worthy of criticism. I don't believe that I should apologize for his lack of personality. I don't care about his personality, I care about his results. In defending the record, I'm not telling you I'm sorry that you didn't get enough information. I'm not apologizing for the lack of top 25 wins for a coach, who by any other measure, exceeded expectations. In my opinion, your complsints don't warrant an apology, and I don't find them nearly as important as you do. Just because you think they do, doesn't mean anyone who defends him is, by definition, making an apology. The irony of this is, I've been accused of telling people what they should think, when all I'm doing is defending what I think.

Reaction Score
I believe he threw the team under the bus post-game.

I believe you don't know what you are talking about. Actually, I know you don't know what you're talking about. Feel free to think what you want, even though the facts don't support it.

``We told our team to be alert for the play-action pass on the very first play,'' Edsall said.
``Our coaches told us they throw on the first play,'' said linebacker Danny Lansanah, the Big East defensive player of the week after the 14-7 Indiana win. ``You knew it was coming.''
``I don't think we were surprised,'' defensive tackle and team captain Rhema Fuller said.

Reaction Score
Good God, Wing Nut is sooooo annoying. Wing Nut, just letting you know that if you respond to my post here with questions looking for further debate on whether or not you are annoying I will ignore them as I always do.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't you be on the phone with Marinatto selling him on the benefits of UMass to the Big East?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If everyone wants to talk about 2006... why not talk about 1998, when Skip Holtz got lambasted in the I-AA quarters by Paul Johnson.

Reaction Score
Hey Wing relax - I think most here are greatful and respect what RE did in the short time he built the program and he has been applauded for it by many in the national media. All coaches get called out from time to time but I think what most fans are upset about is the way he left - no excuse for the way he did it.

Reaction Score
I have never been more dissapointed as a UCONN football fan than after the Navy game. UCONN was utterly destroyed, and one of our players said they quit. and it showed in that game.

Reaction Score
Who is apologizing? What apologies have I made? What did I apologize for?

After 2006 and 2 straight losing seasons, anyone who wanted to give Edsall more time was called an apologista.

After 4 straight winning seasons, 4 straight bowl games, 2 conference championships, and a BCS bid, we are still called apologistas.

What are we apologizing for? The success? Anyone willing to live with his warts, because they are at least satisfied with the results, is making apologies? The premise of your definition is 8ullsh!t.

Good God you are a blowhard.

You have entered rarified air.

And the crowd that has a critical eye on Edsall's tenure and is not a self loathing "we didn't deserve our success" has a name. The Creamers.

Reaction Score
Hey Wing relax - I think most here are greatful and respect what RE did in the short time he built the program and he has been applauded for it by many in the national media. All coaches get called out from time to time but I think what most fans are upset about is the way he left - no excuse for the way he did it.

Only if that were true. There is no excuse for the way he left, but this argument started long before Maryland even picked up the phone.

Reaction Score
Only if that were true. There is no excuse for the way he left, but this argument started long before Maryland even picked up the phone.

The real fact is that anyone who didn't put Edsall on a pedestal and worship the ground he walked on is pained by the rest of the Edsallistas as an ungrateful unworthy waste of life.

See what I did there? Aren't stupid generalizations fun?

Reaction Score
I'm sorry. I am just amazed by the lengths some people go to defend an average coach and ordinary person.
Yes, everything that was accomplished here with him was very average.

When most people look at his tenure at UConn, the rise of the program, and everything that has been accomplished they always talk about his advances in mediocrity. I understand now, thank you.

Reaction Score
The real fact is that anyone who didn't put Edsall on a pedestal and worship the ground he walked on is pained by the rest of the Edsallistas as an ungrateful unworthy waste of life.

See what I did there? Aren't stupid generalizations fun?

Here is what I wrote....
The fact is, anyone who defends the job he dids (not praises, just defends) is accused of putting him on a pedastal and enshrining him in the hall of fame.

I stand by that. I didn't say anyone who wanted Edsall does it, I said it happens. I know it happens for reasons that should be obvious. It's happened to me. That's not a generalization, it's a fact.

And the fact is, those that dislike Edsall are the ones who think we should apologize because Edsall did not meet their expectations, despite surpassing the expectations of any rational human being.
This was a generalization, I'll fix it.

And the fact is, *some of* those that dislike Edsall are the ones who think we should apologize because Edsall did not meet their expectations, despite surpassing the expectations of any rational human being.

Happy now? It's still true.

Reaction Score
Yes, everything that was accomplished here with him was very average.

When most people look at his tenure at UConn, the rise of the program, and everything that has been accomplished they always talk about his advances in mediocrity. I understand now, thank you.

I NEVER said the accomplishments of the program were average. I said the coach was, and I believe he is. He was a GT (actually generous), he is at Maryland, he was at UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There is something to be said about having a total lack of self-awareness. This guy preaches team above all, but when the time came for him to walk the walk and man up - he took a different flight and never looked back. How can anyone take his spew seriously now? Some players can't, one guy just says he would "keep his spirits up" because he had just three more months before he left the program.

Reaction Score
I would gave done the same thing Paul Johnson did. Turns out Randy isn't who we thought he was. He was coward who scheduled Buffalo and Temple. He can't even beat Temple anymore.

Reaction Score
There is something to be said about having a total lack of self-awareness. This guy preaches team above all, but when the time came for him to walk the walk and man up - he took a different flight and never looked back. How can anyone take his spew seriously now? Some players can't, one guy just says he would "keep his spirits up" because he had just three more months before he left the program.

As an Apologista, I agree with this statement 100%.

Reaction Score
What Nan said was right on target. I never understood why the apologists loved mediocrity so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom