Indiana Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Indiana Post Game Thread

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wow, what game did you watch?
Indiana is the kind of team UConn should eat for lunch. Slow and unathletic. Yet, the first half was a virtual draw and IU outscored UConn over the last 16 minutes. Hence the comment UConn only played 4 good minutes. I don't care about likes or dislikes but I am stunned by all the dislikes I got for having a defendable take. Those people remind me of this:
1648389000084.png

Reaction Score
I agree.
Just a mistake at the most inopertune time..
Not a choke.
Other team made a play.
Perio
Notre Dame had a strong lead - their loss was not just caused by one play. Total team effort (or lack thereof).

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The emotion reflects her awareness that this element of her youth ( which has been dominant probably since she was about 6) is now over. She is not going toe a pro. There is nom where else to play that can replicate her IU experience. It is hard to say good bye.
Patberg already has one master's and is studying for her second. She'll have a good career doing something besides basketball. :)

The IU kids have done very well academically. I think Cardano-Hillary will have a masters by the end of the academic year, and Berger is in graduate school and coming back next year.

That's one reason I love NCAA women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Did the crowd take Benadryl yesterday? They need to give some more free tickets to students.

Reaction Score
Fantastic game! I was there with a friend! Can’t wait until Monday’s game! Let’s go Huskies!!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The reason IU outscored UConn after the UConn run was due to fouls being called and getting UConn in foul trouble. We did take more shots then did however some of that was due to rebounding. Dont call ticky tak fouls and we win by 20+. IU kept their poise and shot the ball really well under alot of pressure.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Patberg already has one master's and is studying for her second. She'll have a good career doing something besides basketball. :)

The IU kids have done very well academically. I think Cardano-Hillary will have a masters by the end of the academic year, and Berger is in graduate school and coming back next year.

That's one reason I love NCAA women's basketball.
Do you and/or LongtimeFan know for a fact that Ali Patberg has ruled out any attempt to play in the WNBA? Or do you assume that she isn't good enough?

I can imagine her getting drafted in the 3rd round and getting a camp contract from a WNBA team if she is interested in that. I haven't seen her play much, but her performance yesterday certainly shows that she has some skills. I guess speed and defense might be an issue, but maybe not.

Maybe her age would be an issue. There aren't a lot of 25-year-old rookies in the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Just got back from the game...love the atmosphere there...good to see the fans back in large numbers. A few observations in no particular order.

1. When I left with about 10 seconds to go UConn was winning a palindromic victory (75 to 57); When I got home I noticed the score was 75 to 58 meaning that somehow Indiana managed to get to the line with 10 seconds to go and somehow managed to eliminate the palindrome.
2. UConn had a nice balanced offensive output...technically 5 players in double figures: Bueckers - 15; Williams - 15; Fudd - 13; Ododa - 10; and Edwards - 9.
3. Olivia and Aliyah did a great job rebounding 14 for Olivia and 10 for Edwards. UConn was +12 on the rebounding end.
4. One stat jumped out at me...we had 13 assists on 31 baskets...not very typical of UConn...it indicates that Indiana's defense was able to disrupt UConn's offense...this in spite of the fact that UConn took pretty good care of the basketball only committing 9 turnovers. Meanwhile UConn was able to force 15 turnovers.
5. Another stat that jumps out at me...is that UConn was able to score 14 second chance points to Indiana's 2 second chance points. This is a result of UConn getting 15 offensive boards to Indiana's 2.
6. Officiating in this game gets a C-. It almost seemed like two different games with foul calls going both ways through the first 2 and 3/4 quarters...then with about 4 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter it seemed like the officials inserted themselves into the game and they broke up the rhythm of the game...taking the players out of it. I caught myself thinking..."just let them play".
7. Outside of Ali Patberg Indiana did not have a dominate player. The second quarter...she went off for two 3s and a long two. I think that had a lot to do with Paige still not yet to play the kind of defense she was playing at this time last year. However, adjustments were made in the second half and Ali was only able to get 4 two point buckets.
8. The three point bucket made by Alexsa Gulbe at the end of the half was pretty strange...a lot of confusion as to who had possession of the ball. Edwards thought the half was over...so she grabs a rebound and puts the ball on the floor and it rolls out of bounds giving Indiana the last possession of the half and Alexsa knocked down the three to end the half.
9. We only made 57 percent of our free-throws.
10. Indiana basically had no bench, however, their guard play was really good...I love their motion offense.
Ali is considered Indiana's #3 player behind Grace Berger and McKensie Holmes .. she transferred from Notre Dame during the Arike era, eh?

Reaction Score
What a GOOD day.
TN got eliminated as well.
In fairness to the LVs, they were without Horston, who carried the team on her back against UConn (it wasn’t nearly enough!). Rooting for her to transfer to Vandy and Shea’s good graces. Anywhere but Rocky Top!

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Indiana is the kind of team UConn should eat for lunch. Slow and unathletic. Yet, the first half was a virtual draw and IU outscored UConn over the last 16 minutes. Hence the comment UConn only played 4 good minutes. I don't care about likes or dislikes but I am stunned by all the dislikes I got for having a defendable take. Those people remind me of this:
View attachment 74895
Some thoughts:
1. Indianna is not slow and unathletic. The only losses they have this year are to ranked teams and they have beaten teams - like Maryland that are certainly not slow and unathletic.
2. UCONN outscored IU in the first half by 4 (would have been 7 if not for the last second 3)- so it was not a virtual draw - as convenient as it is for you to say so to back up your narrative. So you could say there is another 20 good minutes for UCONN in the game.
3. What is your definition of good minutes? I would characterize a 16-0 run over 4 minutes and superb. I doubt too many teams left in the tournament had 4 good minutes by your definition.

Reaction Score
Liv might have played one of her better games at Uconn. I hope she can continue to do it against State, Stanford and SC. I told myself that I would never take the cheese with Liv again after last year's disappearing act, but that cheese sure looks good now.....

Liv and AE came within a few rebounds of outrebounding the entire Indiana team. I sure hope they can keep that up and it wasnt just a lack of athleticism on Indiana. We gave up some shots as Indiana shot the ball well but still only scored 58 points..they just couldn't rebound anything against us. They were one and done all night long..

We did a nice job of cutting down on the TOs, except for AE. It seemed like indiana was a pretty hot shooting team and we hung in there..started to pull away a little in the first half and then blew the doors open in the third. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't remember us making a shot in the second half outside of 5 ft. We had a lot of layups...good thing thing they still count for 2 points like the other shots. I only remember two midrange shots the entire game - one by PB and another by AE...I might have missed one or two but we really just made almost all our points within 5 feet of the basket.

We seemed to fall off a bit again in the 4th, and maybe a bit of a lull in the second as well. I think we get a bit tired playing as hard as we are now on defense.

CW may not have hit anything outside of 5ft, but she was spectacular. Her defense was great as well. She was really hard for Indiana to keep in front of them.

On the downside, we couldnt hit the 3s and usually this doesnt worry me as long as we are getting good looks and we had some good looks. However, this late in the season, you hope we turn that around quick. The good news is that we certainly are getting the open looks, just need to drain them.

A bit closer than I thought it would be in the first but they were red hot shooting. We got to keep getting better and better because the competition certainly is. An overall very good, not great performance and hopefully we keep peaking each game.

Reaction Score
In fairness to the LVs, they were without Horston, who carried the team on her back against UConn (it wasn’t nearly enough!). Rooting for her to transfer to Vandy and Shea’s good graces. Anywhere but Rocky Top!

No fairness. They didn’t give a damn when UConn was down with injuries.

Reaction Score
Normally I would agree but today, 3 of 11 (nice they were 3s), maybe a little more pressure for her. But IU was definitely targeting her and Paige defensively, so...
I don’t mind the 3-11 because the 3 were made while the game was still being decided in the first 20-25 minutes or so. All the misses came when they started face guarding her and after there was already a 20 pt lead. Her 3s were timely and definitely stopped them from packing in the paint like they did more of in the first half. 2nd half they had to overextend their defense because of her shots, opening the driving lane.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What's this? An objective, positive post?
Kind of counter balanced by the “Christine“ though.

Reaction Score
They played 4 good minutes all game. That won't cut it against a better team.
Yes, But whose to say---which is the better team. You or Me? When cut, I bleed Blue, White and Caroline.

Reaction Score
I don’t mind the 3-11 because the 3 were made while the game was still being decided in the first 20-25 minutes or so. All the misses came when they started face guarding her and after there was already a 20 pt lead. Her 3s were timely and definitely stopped them from packing in the paint like they did more of in the first half. 2nd half they had to overextend their defense because of her shots, opening the driving lane.
I’ll accept that but to Sat ND choked is stretching it a bit.
I'm a bit more of a ND fan with the departure of Muffet. I must confess, I didn't see them choke. Just one louzy break and the game is gone. I hope Uconn kids watched that ending. Fudd was given good advice--keep shooting. Geno, is the different coach in that area. He tells shooters, who are missing, keep shooting. Knowing they'll again go in.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Notre Dame had a strong lead - their loss was not just caused by one play. Total team effort (or lack thereof).
maybe not a choke but they made some horrible passes in the last 5 minutes.
their center threw a cross court pass that i could have stolen

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Do you and/or LongtimeFan know for a fact that Ali Patberg has ruled out any attempt to play in the WNBA? Or do you assume that she isn't good enough?

I can imagine her getting drafted in the 3rd round and getting a camp contract from a WNBA team if she is interested in that. I haven't seen her play much, but her performance yesterday certainly shows that she has some skills. I guess speed and defense might be an issue, but maybe not.

Maybe her age would be an issue. There aren't a lot of 25-year-old rookies in the WNBA.
No info whatsoever, just pointing out that there’s plenty she can do besides basketball.

There have been a few 25-27 year old rookies in the W, although they’ve usually been playing overseas.

mudblood

Incorrigible optimist
Reaction Score
Yessir. Harvard was 16th in the West Region, 62nd overall. They beat Tara’s Stanford team 71-67.
Now to be fair, Stanford did loose 2 of their best players to ACL injuries just the week before that game. I should have probably mentioned that in my original post… But even so, I do think it remains the biggest upset in WCBB tournament history.

Reaction Score
Patberg was basically offered a coaching job by Indiana's manager after the game in the press conference. She had high hopes but it didn't work out. That was maybe the game of her life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom