Indiana Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Indiana Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Last time I saw Ali Patberg play was with Crystal Dangerfield in a FIBA tournament. Does she surpass Caroline Doty in years at college???
Yes. Only one other player spent seven years on a roster; it wasn’t Doty. She is 25 years old. One injury year, one year transfer sit out, one extra Covid year. She is graduating with her Masters completed. Good for her; she will make a terrific coach.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Give me a break. 1 point separated 5 players from being “technically” being in double figures…I’m just sayin’
Yeah the math is good. It's nearly, practically, almost, just about, really close to five players in double figures. Technically not though.

Reaction Score
Ridiculous! ND played a great game. Mabreys TO was at a bad time but to say the team/program choked is juvenile. ND gave nothing away. State took it literally.
You’re reading way too much into my post. ND did play a great game. Game could have gone either way. But close games often turn on one big play. That steal does not happen if Mabrey protects the ball. Most likely a foul occurs. Great play by Perez on the steal and score, taking advantage of the miscue.

Reaction Score
This is the first game I have seen her play and she was quite good today.
Berger is reportedly coming back for her Covid year; hopefully you will catch her sometime next season. She is a classic old school player; everything inside the arc.

Reaction Score
You’re reading way too much into my post. ND did play a great game. Game could have gone either way. But close games often turn on one big play. That steal does not happen if Mabrey protects the ball. Most likely a foul occurs. Great play by Perez on the steal and score, taking advantage of the miscue.
The mistake was putting it in Mabrey’s hands instead of keeping it with Miles. ND’s whole offense runs through her; why would that suddenly change with 12 seconds on the clock.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Rebecca stated that if Perez had tried to go over Mabrey's arm instead of under it, the refs would have called the foul almost 100% of the time, even if she didn't touch the arm.

Reaction Score
Rebecca stated that if Perez had tried to go over Mabrey's arm instead of under it, the refs would have called the foul almost 100% of the time, even if she didn't touch the arm.
That's sharp analysis. Especially since the refs were looking for a foul from NC State before ND ran out the clock.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Moren and Geno seem to get along. Maybe the Huskies and Hoosiers can schedule a series and UConn can go for another Indiana trifecta of IU, ND and Butler?

Reaction Score
NC State had several fouls to give at that point and I think they were trying to steal and not just foul. Mabrey turned her back on the defender and allowed her pocket to get picked. ND had the ball with 35 seconds to go and a 30 second shot clock. Just poor execution at that point in general. It was their game at that point but they became defensive on offense. Never a good thing.

Reaction Score
One thing I will say is that after a pretty slow start the subs came in and changed the feel of the game. I know Dorka missed shots and blew a layup but she did have a great assist and the offense looks different when she's out there. The spacing is just different. I think many have said throughout the season she sometimes struggles finishing. She may have gaphes but as long as she stays confident and plays hard I don't mind her getting minutes.
I also loved the pass from PB on Caroline's first basket, just a beautiful lob that Caroline caught then finished in traffic. I really like when they r on the court together. I think Geno was probably a bit concerned with some of CDs turnovers in the second half. I would like to see her play a bit more however.
I have some concerns but the team played well overall. ONO deserves the game ball in my opinion. I was concerned after IUs first possession, it was just like a str8 post up and Mackenzie Holmes showed y she's Mackenzie Holmes. But overall our defense inside was pretty good. One thing I've been seeing is that with Paige at point sometimes the game slows down a bit too much. Credit IUs point for playing her 94 ft, I'm sure Paige will continue to see that throughout the tourney. I feel like even in the second half they started walking the ball up off misses a bit too early. That's y I like Nika playing alongside Paige or CD playing with PB cause they both play with great tempo

Reaction Score
Berger is reportedly coming back for her Covid year; hopefully you will catch her sometime next season. She is a classic old school player; everything inside the arc.
She looks like a terrific ball handler.

sun

Reaction Score
During the pre-game broadcast, Holly Rowe confirmed that Paige had a plate and screws inserted into her knee to fix the tibial plateau fracture.
That was the first time that I've heard a reporter state that so clearly and with such authority.
Yet despite the extent of her injury, she's shown a huge amount of courage by finding ways to help the team.
She's leading by example which has also sparked the team to have more resolve to win it all.
My feeling is that the All American selection committee predicted that Paige would put her health on the line in order to come back and is the reason why they gave her the Honorable Mention before she actually accomplished everything that she was setting out to do.
And some fans still can't figure out why she was named.
Maybe now that the full extent of the injury is known it makes more sense.
It's because she's a brave warrior who also happens to have special talents that the committee wanted her to be recognized for.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One thing I've been seeing is that with Paige at point sometimes the game slows down a bit too much. Credit IUs point for playing her 94 ft, I'm sure Paige will continue to see that throughout the tourney. I feel like even in the second half they started walking the ball up off misses a bit too early.
Great observation and I noticed that too. Might have been a function of the game but I was surprised there wasn't as much effort to push the pace.

Reaction Score
It was ND's game until Baby Mb lost concentration. That one position lost the game.
…and maybe when NI called a timeout when they had a two on one advantage with Miles, the best dime dropper they’ve ever had and Dodson in a position to score.

Reaction Score
It was impressive how easily UCONN broke Indiana's press. Geno must practice this every day. The Huskies spread out each player to neutralize a double team & when Indiana tried one on one pressure, UCONN guards dribbled right thought it. KUDOS!
Geno went over breaking the press in practice during the UCF game. Worked on it for almost an hour and a half. :rolleyes::p:D Indiana’s press was pedestrian compared to UCF’s. UCONN should handle anyone’s press going forward.

Reaction Score
Ummm - Nika has been lights out from three for two games! But has only gotten 2 shots and the team just can't seem to run screening actions for her! Meanwhile they from Fudd for 10 threes! :cool:
Sounds about right.

Reaction Score
Yes, I was baffled by Holmes’ fourth foul on that play. I’m not sure why the officiating went downhill during the second half, as both teams played very well during the first half. I’m still SMH.
Have watched men's and women's basketball for many years and never have seen such a dramatic change in how the game was refed between halves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom