Independent Scheduling | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Daily Hampshire Gazette: UMass football linked to UConn’s impending move to independence

>>Bamford’s hypothesis is based on the fact that UMass has proven it can break the mold of traditional college football with its scheduling philosophy. The stigma before was that it would be difficult to find games to craft a schedule as an independent, but Bamford and the athletic department have found ways to schedule home-and-homes with Group of Five peers and fit in the requisite buy games from Power Five foes. And as the number of independents grows larger, so too does the pool of possible opponents, stimulating the cycle anew.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Daily Hampshire Gazette: UMass football linked to UConn’s impending move to independence

>>Bamford’s hypothesis is based on the fact that UMass has proven it can break the mold of traditional college football with its scheduling philosophy. The stigma before was that it would be difficult to find games to craft a schedule as an independent, but Bamford and the athletic department have found ways to schedule home-and-homes with Group of Five peers and fit in the requisite buy games from Power Five foes. And as the number of independents grows larger, so too does the pool of possible opponents, stimulating the cycle anew.<<

Likely to be more FBS independents in the future ....echoing what others have been saying about the future of FBS. The next round of CRA is more likely to create more UConns - particularly out of the ruins of a depleted and far flung AAC.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I know I shouldn't get my hopes up, but there is only one ACC team on that list...

Could be VT....but if it is, they would be the rare program that skips their annual FCS cupcake game to play us instead. I think the ACC game will come from another breakup of either the Wake-OD or Syr-WMU games.

Reaction Score
Could be VT....but if it is, they would be the rare program that skips their annual FCS cupcake game to play us instead. I think the ACC game will come from another breakup of either the Wake-OD or Syr-WMU games.

I thought it it was UNC-ODU? (Not that I mind either way..)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I thought it it was UNC-ODU? (Not that I mind either way..)

ODU has OOC games set for UVA, Wake and UNC all in 2020. I think one of those gets broken up, and I think its the Wake game, but could be UNC.

Reaction Score
Army w/ Bowl Agreement for 2020, 2022, 2024:

>>Army will play in the Independence Bowl in 2020, ’22 and ’24, assuming the team is bowl eligible. In odd-numbered years, the Knights are guaranteed a slot in one of 13 different bowl games.

Army is an at-large team this year, meaning Jeff Monken‘s team will have to fill a slot unused by one of the 10 FBS conferences.<<

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I supported Benedict's move to the Big East ever since it was announced. I supported it because the AAC tv deal was a death blow and getting our Olympic sports back to the top was a reasonable place to start.

I was very critical of his silence to Husky Nation, as we squirmed and begged for some sign of hope for our football program. But let me say this: if silence is what he needed to pull off the new 2020 schedule, which includes financial stability and a new game against a well respected SEC team, then well done, Dave Benedict.

Well done...

Reaction Score
I supported Benedict's move to the Big East ever since it was announced. I supported it because the AAC tv deal was a death blow and getting our Olympic sports back to the top was a reasonable place to start.

I was very critical of his silence to Husky Nation, as we squirmed and begged for some sign of hope for our football program. But let me say this: if silence is what he needed to pull off the new 2020 schedule, which includes financial stability and a new game against a well respected SEC team, then well done, Dave Benedict.

Well done...
I'm thrilled! This schedule shows UConn is still serious about FBS football and that was a massive question with the Big East move. If we can conduct FB independence more like BYU than New Mexico St then the Big East move is a win-win-win in my book.

Reaction Score
So here's what we have so far:

Sept. 3: UMASS
Sept. 12: at Illinois
Sept. 19: at Virginia
Sept. 26: INDIANA
Oct. 10: MAINE**
Oct. 24: at Ole Miss
Oct. 31: LIBERTY
Nov. 14: at San Jose St.
Nov. 28: ARMY

Sept. 2: HOLY CROSS**
Sept. 11: PURDUE
Oct. 2: at UMass
Nov. 13: at Clemson
Nov. 21: at UCF
TBD: at Army

Sept. 17: at N.C. State
Nov. 19: BOSTON COLLEGE
TBD: CCSU**
TBD: at Army

Sept. 2: DUKE
Sept. 23: N.C. STATE
Nov. 4: at Tennessee
Nov. 11: at Liberty
Nov. 18: at Boston College
TBD: LAFAYETTE

Aug. 31: at Maryland
Sept. 14: at Duke

Sept. 13: at Purdue
TBD: CCSU**

Sept. 12: MARYLAND
TBD: LAFAYETTE

TBD: ARMY

Sept. 16: SAN JOSE ST.

Feeling a lot better today than I did yesterday about the future of UConn football.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The fact that schools were willing to work with us on short notice is most encouraging. We were in a tight spot and no one had to help. The AD and maybe the President must have used their relationships with other universities to get 2020 filled. Well done!

Reaction Score

Somewhat of a follow-up by SBN Matt Brown: One AD thinks we'll see more FBS independents. Is that wishful thinking?

Reaction Score
A little shortsighted with that article. Benedict is 100 percent right the immediate goal was putting together a schedule immediately. The name value of the schools they scheduled on such short notice and the fact they have P5 schools coming to East Hartford in the near future speaks to the long term goals. I don't think we lose any luster as a school to play against by being independent vs being in the AAC.

I'm sure the long term goal is to be able to hang with most people on the schedule and score some upsets. The bowl tie in is the only significant drawback, but we are so far from bowl eligibility, that can't factor in at all.

Colorado State has voiced displeasure with the Mountain West kickoff times for TV. They've expressed it affects their fan attendance. If i was looking for a school that would likely do it, that would be the 1st place i would look to.

Reaction Score
Looking forward, I like the balance of the schedule for 2020. Eventually, got to get a better home schedule, but a P5 team isn’t coming to Rentschler on 3 months notice.

2021 interesting. We’ll see if we. An get mid tier P5 into rentschler. Best bet is acc/big ten schools.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
UMass every year in football = Great

UMass any year in basketball = Bad

Reaction Score
UMass every year in football = Great

UMass any year in basketball = Bad
It’s only bad for basketball if we do it in place of a marquee game, which I don’t see happening. We play the Vermont’s and New Hampshire’s of the world every year anyway, I wouldn’t hate playing UMass instead.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
It’s only bad for basketball if we do it in place of a marquee game, which I don’t see happening. We play the Vermont’s and New Hampshire’s of the world every year anyway, I wouldn’t hate playing UMass instead.

a one off would be fine, but no H and H’s with Umass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69