Independent Scheduling | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Lol come on. You're replacing one drivable school (Temple) with with (Nova, Providence, Seton hall, St. John's, and Georgetown) for the majority of our sports.

Didn’t you get the memo? If one school is far away, the move makes no sense, even though in the current setup 9 schools are far away. It’s all or nothing.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
We’d be Rutgers if we were in the Big 10

Reaction Score
Our scores are similar to Rutgers anyway, in some cases worst last year, at least they are playing top 10 programs.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If we are playing San Jose State on 9/5, then it stands to reason we are also adding Central Michigan to the schedule as well. Currently SJS is slated to open on the road against Central Michigan. Playing this out, CM is slated to host Bryant on 9/26. My guess is that for CM the Bryant game gets moved forward to 9/5 and then on the weekend of 9/26 CM comes to Hartford or on some other date later in the season.

My guess is that we have worked out something similar with two other programs, perhaps one such arrangement with Virginia or VT and another with an AAC school. That would be one way to get six games on the books.

Reaction Score
There really aren't big travel cost savings moving to the Big East.

Go sport by sport and UConn may reduce about 10 longer trips per year for non-revenue sports (still will have trips, but not as far) and maybe 8 to 10 long trips combined for men's and women's basketball (still have to travel to Milwaukee, Chicago, Wichita, Ohio, Indiana). Based on rumored schedules, there doesn't appear to be reduced travel for football.

Many people don't understand that some of the non-revenue sports have 1 AAC event per year:
Golf (no change in travel as Big East conference tournament is in the south as well.)
Swimming and Diving
Track and Field
Women's Rowing

And, some sports were already not playing in the AAC:
Men's hockey
Women's hockey
Field Hockey

Bottom line is that the move to the Big East was to improve the basketball situation at UConn and to perhaps generate more media revenues than the crappy AAC media deal. If we can improve basketball season ticket sales and donations by moving to the Big East, that's a bonus.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Of course this speculation on my part is worthless, but another such ideal possibility would be to break up the Virginia - Old Dominion game. OD's OOC schedule is tough in 2020 with Virginia, Wake and UNC (three P5 games). We could come in, take the Virginia visit to OD on 11/21 to soften their schedule and simultaneously fill Virginia schedule with hopefully a home game at the Rent. Virginia is one of the few P5 programs that might actually visit us...most wont.

I just wonder how we can get any P5 or respectively G5 programs to the Rent w/o a national streaming deal so that visiting schools can see the games in their home TV markets.

Reaction Score

Go sport by sport and UConn may reduce about 10 longer trips per year for non-revenue sports (still will have trips, but not as far) and maybe 8 to 10 long trips combined for men's and women's basketball (still have to travel to Milwaukee, Chicago, Wichita, Ohio, Indiana). Based on rumored schedules, there doesn't appear to be reduced travel for football.

Many people don't understand that some of the non-revenue sports have 1 AAC event per year:
Golf (no change in travel as Big East conference tournament is in the south as well.)
Swimming and Diving
Track and Field
Women's Rowing

Men's hockey
Women's hockey
Field Hockey

Bottom line is that the move to the Big East was to improve the basketball situation at UConn and to perhaps generate more media revenues than the crappy AAC media deal. If we can improve basketball season ticket sales and donations by moving to the Big East, that's a bonus.

The AD has already stated there will be a $1M savings annually in travel costs. I'm sure they did their research.

Reaction Score
Of course this speculation on my part is worthless, but another such ideal possibility would be to break up the Virginia - Old Dominion game. OD's OOC schedule is tough in 2020 with Virginia, Wake and UNC (three P5 games). We could come in, take the Virginia visit to OD on 11/21 to soften their schedule and simultaneously fill Virginia schedule with hopefully a home game at the Rent. Virginia is one of the few P5 programs that might actually visit us...most wont.

I just wonder how we can get any P5 or respectively G5 programs to the Rent w/o a national streaming deal so that visiting schools can see the games in their home TV markets.

We had to tell Maryland something, right?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Swimming and Diving
Track and Field
Women's Rowing

Men's hockey
Women's hockey
Field Hockey

Here is a Rivals article about the financial aspects of the move.

$2 million is 2/3 of the gap bwtween the new AAC contract and UConn's supposed share of the Big East contract. The move was 100% made because of Aresco's media deal, but being the furthest outlier was definitely a factor. Herbst estimated that travel will save $2 Million and it makes sense when you use Men's basketball as an example. According to the article, MBB traveled nearly 21k miles. Providence traveled just under 13k.

There was no room for the individual schools to keep their Tier 3 rights (There goes a $million from SNY and the supplement of the 3 Million gap.) and Women's basketball was going behind the ESPN+ paywall (There goes exposure).

Considering the cost reduction and revenue channel maintenance, UConn is ahead or even with the AAC in terms of media. Further, given the fact that the above does not include football, there is a distinct possibility that UConn could approach 8 digits annually with another media arrangement when all is said and done.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Y’all are taking this waaaay too seriously. The point @Bonehead was making is that it’s funny that one of our arguments for leaving the AAC was saving on travel, only to have our first game as an independent require cross-continental travel.

He’s obviously not arguing that one game at San Jose State outweighs the broader cost savings...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Y’all are taking this waaaay too seriously. The point @Bonehead was making is that it’s funny that one of our arguments for leaving the AAC was saving on travel, only to have our first game as an independent require cross-continental travel.

He’s obviously not arguing that one game at San Jose State outweighs the broader cost savings...

I don't expect us to play teams like San Jose State regularly. But for 2020 we are beggars and can't be choosy.

Reaction Score
If we are playing San Jose State on 9/5, then it stands to reason we are also adding Central Michigan to the schedule as well. Currently SJS is slated to open on the road against Central Michigan. Playing this out, CM is slated to host Bryant on 9/26. My guess is that for CM the Bryant game gets moved forward to 9/5 and then on the weekend of 9/26 CM comes to Hartford or on some other date later in the season.

My guess is that we have worked out something similar with two other programs, perhaps one such arrangement with Virginia or VT and another with an AAC school. That would be one way to get six games on the books.
I thought the original date that I saw for San Jose State was 8/29. Can't wait to see the full schedule!

Reaction Score
I thought the original date that I saw for San Jose State was 8/29. Can't wait to see the full schedule!

That was my guess, along with an Army series. Again, just guesses based off the San Jose scoop and looking at San Jose's 2020/2021 schedules.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
For the record that guy is not me and I’ve got no clue who it is

That weirdo has no credibility. Just some guy flinging crap....inspired from the yard. Everyone knows a deal with Army is coming so that is not news and Nostical already made a claim about SJ State.... so what does this guy have that is news other than the statement that we will play two AAC schools in 2020?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom