Independent Scheduling | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You need a better home
A realistic goal is 1 SEC game per year.
And 3 from the pool of the ACC & B1G.
Maybe we will find a way to get 1 B12 or P12 game every other year.

So to box this in, a min of 3 P5 games a year, a middle road of 4 to 5 P5 games a year and a ceiling of 6 P5 games a year. I think that is the realistic range. I wouldn't turn down more than 6 P5 games a year, but I doubt that is realistic.

2020 and 2021 maybe thin. 2022 is the real start date when AD David Benedict will have no excuses.

I could see a 2023 schedule that pencils out as:

1 B1G / 2 ACC / 1 SEC
  • 09/03 - Central Connecticut (scheduled)
  • 09/10 - at Penn State (or BIG) - pay day game
  • 09/17 - Temple (or AAC)
  • 09/24 - at NC State (scheduled)
  • 10/01 - Coastal Carolina (or Sunbelt)
  • 10/08 - Army
  • 10/15 - Buffalo (or MAC)
  • 10/22 - at FAU (or CUSA)
  • 10/30 - UMass
  • 11/12 - at South Carolina (or Sec)
  • 11/19 - Boston College (scheduled)
  • 11/26 - at Liberty or New Mex or BYU
you need a better home schedule. Who is paying actual cash for that dreck? If that’s the best you can do it is a train wreck.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You need a better home

you need a better home schedule. Who is paying actual cash for that dreck? If that’s the best you can do it is a train wreck.
It’s virtually the same as our current home schedule... but with slightly more winnable games.

The best we will see is a year with three P5 home games and min has to be a year with one P5 home game. After that you are looking at G5 for the balance of the schedule. For G5 we want a mix of winnable and local; so preference towards teams in the northeast or EST. I don’t see us scheduling the likes of Boise St, App St or anymore than 2 AAC games a year. Getting zero AAC games a year would make scheduling a little challenging, forcing us to more lesser G5 programs.

The regulars will be Army and UMass and hopefully a rotation between with two from BC, Syracuse, Maryland, Rutgers and Pitt and then two “at large” P5 games as well.

Reaction Score
Explain to me again the fixation people have with Coastal Carolina? Why not Old Dominion or Florida International?

Reaction Score
It’s virtually the same as our current home schedule... but with slightly more winnable games.

The best we will see is a year with three P5 home games and min has to be a year with one P5 home game. After that you are looking at G5 for the balance of the schedule. For G5 we want a mix of winnable and local; so preference towards teams in the northeast or EST. I don’t see us scheduling the likes of Boise St, App St or anymore than 2 AAC games a year. Getting zero AAC games a year would make scheduling a little challenging, forcing us to more lesser G5 programs.

The regulars will be Army and UMass and hopefully a rotation between with two from BC, Syracuse, Maryland, Rutgers and Pitt and then two “at large” P5 games as well.

It’s my hope that BYU will be a regular too. I have to imagine we are a more attractive annual opponent than a lot of the teams they’re playing late in the year at the moment.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It’s my hope that BYU will be a regular too. I have to imagine we are a more attractive annual opponent than a lot of the teams they’re playing late in the year at the moment.
I wouldn’t mind a regular schedule with BYU... but I suspect there isn’t a rush to sign then up from our people.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Explain to me again the fixation people have with Coastal Carolina? Why not Old Dominion or Florida International?
I like the idea of playing any of those three somewhat regularly.

More particularly about CC;
1) we have been recruiting better in SC of late
2) We need games and playing CC is better than Tulsa or Tulane or any other Deep South team not located in FL.
3) doubt we ever book a series with ECU again.... but never say never I suppose.

I think we get a series going with CC, Old Dom and one of FIU or FAU to keep us in FL too.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t mind a regular schedule with BYU... but I suspect there isn’t a rush to sign then up from our people.

Why would you think that? Gotta imagine it would be mutually beneficial for the two programs as opposed to playing lower tier G5?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Why would you think that? Gotta imagine it would be mutually beneficial for the two programs as opposed to playing lower tier G5?

Short answer - politics of religion might give AD David Benedict blow back. This is the state that enacted a travel ban with NC a few years ago. I believe AD David Benedict still needs the legislature to lift that ban or grant an exemption for the football team for our Duke & NC State games.

A one off game might be okay - but the idle minds in the state might grumble about a long series....same with Liberty.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Liberty would probably garner some blow back, I can’t imagine BYU getting much.
Yep. And then someone writes a column....

Its all about the Prez. If the new Prez has a spine, then it can happen. No spine, then look out below.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We just joined an (almost) entirely Catholic conference. I think you’re over thinking this one, my man.
The BE is a group we have a long prior history. They dont have an honor code.

The BYU honor code was an obstacle for the B12 expansion...one of many obstacles. I'm sure the campus news papers will remind us about it if we sign up a 6 game series.

I'd be happy to have a long term series with BYU, I just dont think we have it high on our list. Especially if we can get 5 P5 games + 2 AAC games on a regular basis + UMass, Army and an FCS would leave us space for two softer games against the G5 to round it out. The decision will partially swing on how receptive the AAC schools are to playing us post breakup. If they shun us there will be more administrative will to call BYU.

We will know what kind of new Prez we have if we pen a long term series with BYU out of the gate this fall.

We still have to get an exemption for our Duke and NC State games.

Reaction Score

The BYU honor code was an obstacle for the B12 expansion...one of many obstacles. I'm sure the campus news papers will remind us about it if we sign up a 6 game series.

I'd be happy to have a long term series with BYU, I just dont think we have it high on our list. Especially if we can get 5 P5 games + 2 AAC games on a regular basis + UMass, Army and an FCS would leave us space for two softer games against the G5 to round it out. The decision will partially swing on how receptive the AAC schools are to playing us post breakup. If they shun us there will be more administrative will to call BYU.

We will know what kind of new Prez we have if we pen a long term series with BYU out of the gate this fall.

Who knows, but I really think there’s not a lot to worry about here.

Reaction Score
My biggest surprise from exit negotiations was that we didn’t require 4 (2 home/2 away) games against former conf foes in 20
Perhaps there was some combo of AAC schools not being overly interested, the American as a whole effectively saying “pound sand” and/or UConn officials truly anticipating better alternatives than possible away games offered at Tulsa and Tulane. As relatively reasonable individuals suggest, a cobbled-together 2020 schedule may not be too great nor necessarily similar to later years scheduled with more time, horse trading, etc. Time will tell!

Reaction Score
My biggest surprise from exit negotiations was that we didn’t require 4 (2 home/2 away) games against former conf foes in 20

We don’t want to be part of your league, willing to pay an extra 7 million to leave early but can we schedule four games with your teams?

Not the people to ask for help in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Short answer - politics of religion might give AD David Benedict blow back. This is the state that enacted a travel ban with NC a few years ago. I believe AD David Benedict still needs the legislature to lift that ban or grant an exemption for the football team for our Duke & NC State games.

A one off game might be okay - but the idle minds in the state might grumble about a long series....same with Liberty.
Nonsense. We have played them before and won’t have any issue doing so again. If UConn gets a long term series with BYU that would be fine. FYI we have played many games in multiple sports in North Carolina without issue.

Reaction Score
I don’t get it either. Myrtle Beach is a dump. So, I wouldn’t want to travel there for a road game. I live in SC so I would, but I would rather not. I would much rather drive to anywhere in Florida for a road game. However, there is really good high school football in the area, so recruiting may play a role.

Reaction Score
We don’t want to be part of your league, willing to pay an extra 7 million to leave early but can we schedule four games with your teams?

Not the people to ask for help in my opinion.

if they hadn't begged for some bball games, I could see your point. Once they opened their kimono and begged for some games, we had the opening we needed to say, sure, but throw in a few fb games as well.

Reaction Score
I don’t get it either. Myrtle Beach is a dump. So, I wouldn’t want to travel there for a road game. I live in SC so I would, but I would rather not. I would much rather drive to anywhere in Florida for a road game. However, there is really good high school football in the area, so recruiting may play a role.

CC (SC) and ODU (VA) would be purely for name recognition in recruiting footprint.

Reaction Score
It is absurd not to play BYU or Liberty basically because they are faith-based colleges. What are the powers that be going to do next -- not play Notre Dame -- if we are given the chance. The whole thing smacks of prejudice.

Reaction Score
It is absurd not to play BYU or Liberty basically because they are faith-based colleges. What are the powers that be going to do next -- not play Notre Dame -- if we are given the chance. The whole thing smacks of prejudice.
Yeah imagine not playing Providence or Villanova in hoops for the same reasons.

Reaction Score

You know the honor code is for on campus students, right? There is a lot of off campus housing all around BYU including some massive complexes that were built in the last 8 years. Not all students are Mormons including a bunch of their players.

The NC ban had nothing to do with religion and everything to do with discrimination. Not sure how you extrapolate that to not playing a religiously affiliated school. If you go down that path, then ND and BC should be out given some of the things that have happened in that church.

Reaction Score
Everything I've been reading suggests BYU will be a regular for Uconn. Already playing them, they are an independent and have the same struggles late in season during conference play. Added plus is they have a large fan base across the US. Probably not a better ally in scheduling than BYU...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom