Independent Scheduling | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I’d just like some comment from AD Dave. He has let the media and sites like this (of which most CT writers steal intel) run with it. I thought they said give us a couple of weeks. It’s been that.
@Alum86 Setting aside 1. negotiating an expedited AAC exit was UConn’s apparent priority until completed just 9 days ago, 2. a new president only started 3 days ago, and 3. completing #1 reasonably limited extensive focus on prospective scheduling and possible broadcasting opportunities, beyond info linked in huskymedic’s following message:

A. What would you reasonably expect Benedict to communicate already?

B. In such premature communications, what's your take on perceived benefits?

Nothing additional and none which can be reasonably articulated?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So she’s gone (thank God) so all bets are off?
the AD needs to be up front and at least answer general questions.

From 7/30/19:

>>Life as an FBS independent

At least in the short-term, the biggest question facing the football team’s move to independence is who UConn can put on its schedule in 2020. Considering most schools build non-conference schedules years in advance — the Huskies already have Lafayette locked in for 2026 — building a 12-game schedule in a little more than a calendar year will certainly be a challenge.

“The first couple years are going to be a little bit more challenging to put and structure a schedule that is what you really want,” Benedict said. “We might have to play some games that aren’t necessarily what we would choose to do.”

Despite that, Benedict believes that once they get through the first years, the Huskies should be able to build quality schedules. He said there are three important considerations for building a schedule as an independent: What recruits want, what current players want and what fans want. Benedict is confident in UConn’s ability to create 12-game slates that will leave all three groups happy.

“I know a lot of people might think that sounds crazy because it can be difficult as an independent, but I think we’re unique. We have a unique proposition in front of us,” Benedict said. “I think if you look at our non-conference schedule both this year with Indiana and Illinois and looking out, we play a lot of other Power 5 opponents in Purdue, Boston College, Syracuse, North Carolina State, Clemson — the list goes on and on.

“Our ability to attract those types of opponents just for four non-conference games in the past, our ability to add more of those types of games and series to our schedule in the future now that we have eight other games to schedule, I’m excited about that proposition. I think we’re going to be successful in doing that.”<<

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Is the Tennessee series officially dead? Did they pay the buyout? We should push for them to play it.

Reaction Score

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My ballpark, completely uninformed guess is that the 2020 schedule can't be announced until we also have a TV deal to announce. It's like trying to swing a six team trade, since we will probably ask teams who play each other in 2020 to play us instead. Then add the TV uncertainty and the need to schedule out into the future.

Hypothetically:
School A - We will play you if you have a TV contract
School B & C - We play each other and will move those games and play you, but we need tv assurances
School D - will play us no matter what, but we can't slot them until A, B, C are done (Liberty)
School E - Same as D (NM State)
School F - FCS filler game

Reaction Score

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

ULM still needs a home game in 2020 as they have 3 non-conference road games.

Reaction Score
KENT STATE’s OOC:
2019 @Arizona St, @Auburn, @Wisconsin
2020 @arkansas, @Kentucky, @Alabama
2021 @Texas A&M, @Iowa, @Maryland
2022 @Georgia

Note- they do host a BCS team each year.

Reaction Score
This is going to be a double switch situation. Let’s take Kent State-Alabama in 2020 just to illustrate. I’m not advocating this particular series We schedule Bama and Kent and they cancel games with each other. Maybe we agree to go to Kent to sweeten the pot then they come to EH in 2022. Something like that. Bama gets a marginally better opponent Kent gets a home game they didn’t have. More likely this is a deal we make with some lesser P5 and a MAC/ Cusa type rather than Alabama but you never know I guess

Reaction Score
My point, is it a pretty impressive non-League lineup. But they’re all one & done payday games.
I would like to play those games just not all on the road. I actually think Maryland and Kentucky we could get h-h. The others maybe Wisconsin ASU maybe

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Updated hypothetical calendar from my 7/26 post (#51 in this thread). With Arkansas and SC announcing games to round out their 2020 schedules, the chance of playing the SEC in 2020 just dipped near terminal.

six home games / six road games:
  1. 09/03 - UMass
  2. 09/12 - at Illinois
  3. 09/19 - Maine
  4. 09/26 - Indiana
  5. 10/3 - at UCF - historically UCF hasn't played any OOC games outside of Sept. They have two open OOC slots in 2020 with UNC booked on 9/5 and GT on 9/19. <--Also SMU has an open date in 2020
  6. 10/10 - FIU at home - possible two game series? Maybe we don't want to play them- they are good. In 2017 they played an October OOC game with Tulane. <--Just scheduled with UCF - now needs to fill the usual FCS slot...not looking good here, replace with Southern Miss or SMU?
  7. 10/17 - at Coastal Carolina - possible two game series? They have an open 2020 date, but like OD they haven't scheduled their cupcake game yet. Not ideal to play SC and CC in the same year.
  8. 10/24 - at Arkansas - pay day game (M. Anthony SEC rumors) - they have had OOCs in Oct in the past including Tulsa last year. <--Crap - they booked their two open slots. Replace with Air Force on the road? (not ideal)
  9. 10/31 - Virginia Tech at home - could make this a home game and a two game series? VT has regularly scheduled OOC games in Oct and Nov in the past
  10. 11/7 - at Army - start of a new series. Army has one open slot in 2019 and just a couple open weekends. They have only five home games scheduled. I'd like to make this a home game, but...
  11. 11/14 - Old Dominion at home- start of a new series. This game in Nov is a stretch for two reasons, OD has historically played its OOC in Sept and because while they have an open date in 2020, their filled dates are: Wake visit on 9/5, at NC on 9/26 and Virginia visiting on 11/21. OD is a candidate to flip with Maine.
  12. 11/21 - at South Carolina SC routinely ends their season with two of three games as OOC. <--Crud, they just penned in Wofford - so how about a pay day game with TCU?? TCU still has two open dates. Anogther option is FSU who has not scheduled their FCS game and usually plays two OOC in November.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Seems like you can cross the SEC off the list for 2020 games. They announced their conference entire schedule today including what looks to be all OOC games. Going to need to bribe someone to swap us in.

2020 SEC football schedule announced

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Skinning the cat another way - this time by updating the Future Football Schedules list from 7/26.

UConn Huskies to begin play as an FBS Independent in 2020

Florida State (1) <--yes please
Virginia Tech (1) <--yes please
TCU (2) <--yes please now that Arkansas is dead
Arkansas (2)
South Carolina (1)

Florida International (2) (1) <--ok
Louisiana Tech (1) <--hi Bob
Old Dominion (1) <--I like, but they havent scheduled their FCS game yet.
Southern Miss (1) <--whatever
UAB (1) <--okay I guess.
Army (1) <--I think this will happen.
Air Force (1) <--didn't want to go there, but might not have a choice.
Coastal Carolina (1) <--yes please for a series
Louisiana (1) <--beggars cant be choosers.
Louisiana-Monroe (2) (1) <--ugh, okay.

And AAC teams:
UCF (1) <--give them the basketball deal and make this a 2 or 4 game series
SMU (1) <--give them the basketball deal and make this a 2 game series.

Reaction Score
In other words ... it is a scramble.

Hate to say it - and it will be better 2021 and beyond - you may take a NAME FCS with Maine. That is a Home game that you can do. If you get a combination of FSU, TCU, VaTech + AAC 2 + the original 4 + Army & ODU ... we should be happy with whatever the 12th is.

Reaction Score
Seems like you can cross the SEC off the list for 2020 games. They announced their conference entire schedule today including what looks to be all OOC games. Going to need to bribe someone to swap us in.

2020 SEC football schedule announced
Gee maybe AD Dave Benedict, with all his "ties" to the SEC and Auburn, is getting UConn nowhere. I bet if someone else was in charge of scheduling -- a well connected person -- we might have added a 2020 SEC game.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Gee maybe AD Dave Benedict, with all his "ties" to the SEC and Auburn, is getting UConn nowhere. I bet if someone else was in charge of scheduling -- a well connected person -- we might have added a 2020 SEC game.
The only thing clear is that you have no idea how any of this works. 2020 was always a long shot. We might end up with 3 or 4 FCS games. You can't measure the move to independence based on 2020.

Reaction Score
The only thing clear is that you have no idea how any of this works. 2020 was always a long shot. We might end up with 3 or 4 FCS games. You can't measure the move to independence based on 2020.
So magical Athletic Director Dave will get UConn two or three SEC games in 2021?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So magical Athletic Director Dave will get UConn two or three SEC games in 2021?

A realistic goal is 1 SEC game per year.
And 3 from the pool of the ACC & B1G.
Maybe we will find a way to get 1 B12 or P12 game every other year.

So to box this in, a min of 3 P5 games a year, a middle road of 4 to 5 P5 games a year and a ceiling of 6 P5 games a year. I think that is the realistic range. I wouldn't turn down more than 6 P5 games a year, but I doubt that is realistic.

2020 and 2021 maybe thin. 2022 is the real start date when AD David Benedict will have no excuses.

I could see a 2023 schedule that pencils out as:

1 B1G / 2 ACC / 1 SEC
  • 09/03 - Central Connecticut (scheduled)
  • 09/10 - at Penn State (or BIG) - pay day game
  • 09/17 - Temple (or AAC)
  • 09/24 - at NC State (scheduled)
  • 10/01 - Coastal Carolina (or Sunbelt)
  • 10/08 - Army
  • 10/15 - Buffalo (or MAC)
  • 10/22 - at FAU (or CUSA)
  • 10/30 - UMass
  • 11/12 - at South Carolina (or Sec)
  • 11/19 - Boston College (scheduled)
  • 11/26 - at Liberty or New Mex or BYU

Status