Independent Scheduling | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I do think it is possible to put together a decent schedule. Every single team has a few blah games on its schedule and we will be no different. Trick will be to get some games of regional interest like BC Syracuse Rutgers UMass Army Navy then some P5s ideally at least 1 name brand annually and at home occasionally and fill in with your Coastal Carolinas and Akrons To me a perfect sort of generic schedule would be
Maine
Syracuse
@ Texas
Coastal Carolina
@ Purdue
@ Miami of Ohio
Navy
NC State
@ South Florida
@ Liberty
Cincinatti
@ UMass
These sort of represent types of schools, not necessarily specific opponents. 2 regional D1 s a national opponent a couple of games we really don’t care about and a couple of AAC games and some mid level P5 games. End the year against UMass.

Is it just me, or are you stating to come around this idea? ;)

Reaction Score
I always liked our games with Temple. Hope to see them in the future. Wouldn't mind playing them in hoops every so often either.

Secret will be Hoop. They’ve got to be as fearful of the Tulsa & Tulane wing as our Fanbase after decades of A10. We can get them full gyms. And play in Barclay or other Noise in their traditional space.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everyday I check the Yard multiple times hoping to see a thread with "UConn schedules game with X". Would be pretty cool to play Florida State and get a decent payday from it.

FSU paid Alabama State $400,000 to play in Tallahassee this season...with a $25,000 bonus if their band makes the trip.

Paid ULM $1.35 million for two visits to Tally (2nd visit this season)..bunch of slots open from 2021 on.

But...the costs to ink teams has been really rising of late...and these contracts were signed years back.

Reaction Score
Everyday I check the Yard multiple times hoping to see a thread with "UConn schedules game with X". Would be pretty cool to play Florida State and get a decent payday from it.

There has to be some deals done and Benedict is just waiting to release the full schedule. I am in the same boat in checking several times a day to see if there has been a schedule release. The negotiations have surely gone beyond 2020 and will include many games in different seasons. To be honest, after negotiating with the NBE and the exit from the AAC I would think that hashing out future football schedules would be a fairly enjoyable task for the AD and his staff. We certainly do not want to start the 2019 season with no clue of the 2020 schedule, so I would expect something in the very near future.

Reaction Score
Any potential TV partner will have to see what the games are. I'm sure there a lot of moving parts here.

Mike Anthony (in the posted podcast) talked about any TV contract would come after the 2020 schedule is finalized and he believes that they have quite a few locked down already but as you point out / a lot of moving parts.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony (in the posted podcast) talked about any TV contract would come after the 2020 schedule is finalized

Interesting, I would have thought it was the other way around since no one wants to play UConn until they know the TV situation (at least for home games). Planning on listening to the podcast later so maybe he explains.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Interesting, I would have thought it was the other way around since no one wants to play UConn until they know the TV situation (at least for home games). Planning on listening to the podcast later so maybe he explains.

Agreed, I would think its the reverse - need a tv deal to get the games. If I am a visiting team, I want to be sure my school will be on tv before I sign up. Anthony doesn't offer much for a reasoning other than tv cannot value the games without knowing the opponents. I think SNY will value all the games about the same (rather modestly) regardless of the opponents as long as there is no more than one FCS game and the rest are FBS opponents.

SNY and/or whomever only get to broadcast the home games. All these great road games will be on the home teams media deal/media outlet. I think the trickier part is ensuring the visiting team can get the game in their home market. SNY/whomever would have to agree to allow for rebroadcasting in said teams home market through a local outlet. For example, if we play a B1G team at home, let the B1G network/Fox have the right to broadcast the game in the non SNY markets. If we play the SEC, ACC or AAC at home, same deal with ESPN (where it probably would go on ESPN+). If we play a other G5s, same thing. Now maybe part of the solution and part of the complication would be for our games to air on the SNY/NBCsports on their streaming app. One more complication, SNY will always put the Mets first, so what do you do the first 5 weeks of the season when the Mets could easily have make up games and double headers and extended games interfering with our broadcast...unlike ESPN, there might not be a linear cable outlet for such a conflict, especially when its unanticipated.

All that said, if we have draft H&H contracts going, its a sure bet they can be cancelled if we dont have a solid tv broadcast including some way for the visiting team to watch the game in their home market.

Reaction Score

yeah but if you're the network, don't you think you would want to know if all your games are going to be UConn/Liberty flavor....or UConn/FSU flavor

Classic chicken or the egg scenario. I'm DB is having backdoor convos with the network(s) to at least let them know what kind of games they can expect. All of this may be happening in parallel.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
A football tv deal should not be based on a 2020 schedule. The value may not really be apparent until 2022 or 2023. Fox and SNY should be well aware of that.
Yes, and surely some h and h we sign this fall will be indicative of the future potential.

Reaction Score
As for Florida State
I’m sure some top Alumni and big wigs were @ the NCAA tourney in Hartford this last March. Maybe that could help influence a 2020 spot

Reaction Score
Lets get some announcements of football scheduling!! It doesn't even have to be the 2020 schedule. There is some momentum right now with the NBE announcement, fairly positive recruiting and a new season. As more time lags with no scheduling announcements the skepticism starts to creep into the future of the football program.

Reaction Score
Lets get some announcements of football scheduling!! It doesn't even have to be the 2020 schedule. There is some momentum right now with the NBE announcement, fairly positive recruiting and a new season. As more time lags with no scheduling announcements the skepticism starts to creep into the future of the football program.
Its been, what, a week, since the departure terms were solidified? Patience, young grasshopper.

Reaction Score
Mike Anthony (in the posted podcast) talked about any TV contract would come after the 2020 schedule is finalized and he believes that they have quite a few locked down already but as you point out / a lot of moving parts.
Can we get a FOIA request sent in on behalf of the BY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom