Independent Scheduling | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t move it to Gillette. Too big. Unless both are very good it isn’t drawing enough. Even 30000 40000 in a 70000 seat stadiumI looks like nobody. I still like Fenway. Not as a football venue but as an event revenue. And if we get a few good games it boosts the whole thing. Plus weekend in Boston at the holidays. Historic venue. If done correctly it would potentially be a great event

Reaction Score
I think it would be advantageous to play an annual UConn/UMass series towards the end of the season. Fills a hole in the end of season schedule for both teams and hopefully would have some juice.

Hypothetical, but UConn/UMass are both playing to the tune of above .500 ball and there is some excitement, would/could UMass move the annual game back to Gillette?

Great job with the research on open dates Medic. That will be supplemented by some late shuffling we hope.

Not referring specifically to UMass but one of our main long term advantages should be flexibility. I know the mindset is a bit of desperation right now, but we need to strike a balance between the security long-term series scheduling offers and the opportunities our independence may afford. It's tricky but we should proceed with caution as to whether certain schools put us on the correct path. I'm sure they will be considering this but right now are probably making a lot of contacts and evaluating the landscape and what those opportunities might be moving forward. In a year or two the trajectory should become clearer.

Reaction Score
Great job with the research on open dates Medic. That will be supplemented by some late shuffling we hope.

Thx but no research on my part - I just copied and pasted from the article that popped into my timeline this morning by fbsschedules.com.

Reaction Score
>>So just which schools should Benedict be on the phone with? Here’s a list of schools (excluding AAC programs) that still have holes remaining in their 2020 schedules:

Florida State (1)
Virginia Tech (1)
TCU (2)
Arkansas (2)
South Carolina (1)
Florida International (2)
Louisiana Tech (1)
Old Dominion (1)
Southern Miss (1)
UAB (1)
Army (1)
Air Force (1)
Coastal Carolina (1)
Louisiana (1)
Louisiana-Monroe (2)

Filling out their 2020 schedule, even with this many teams still having holes to fill, isn’t going to be easy.

The most difficult thing for UConn is going to be getting home games. Most of the teams with one opening in their non-conference schedules are already playing at least one game away from home and won’t be looking to add another. Also, many of those holes are likely to be filled with home games against FCS teams, if they aren’t already. That means going after teams with two spots left to fill would be smart.<<

I believe the most difficult thing for UConn will be getting late season games. How many of those open dates are late October and November?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
It’s also worth noting that Liberty has 2 FCS games, one of which could be moved to a future year. NMSU has the Hawaii exception because they are @ Hawaii, as do all of the schools in the MWC that play @ Hawaii and UCLA. NMSU only has 5 home games in 2020 so a longer term series with the Aggies beginning in 2020 in Las Cruces on 11/28 may make sense for both parties

Reaction Score
Like this scheduling idea from Michael Traini, who runs the Fight Massachusetts site on 247 sports.

Another option, UMass could also swap the dates with FIU in 2020, so they would host the Panthers on 9/3 and then travel to UConn on 10/24. A late-October home game for UConn works better for them and UMass' sked is largely unchanged. UMass actually would end up hosting three in a row to start the season.
There's a lot of options and flexibility with an Indy sked, but when you're in UMass' shoes with 2020, i.e. the sked is complete, you don't want to get too fancy.

Future UMass Football Schedules | FBSchedules.com

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I believe the most difficult thing for UConn will be getting late season games. How many of those open dates are late October and November?
More than you think. Peruse FFS website. It’s October games that are difficult.

Reaction Score
Well there's UMass, play them twice if we have to, BYU, NM St, Army, then see if Cincinnati, Houston, or Navy have any openings late season. I think Gladchuck would go out of his way to help out Benedict. For tough FCS I'd look at JMU, maybe North Dakota State. That being said, according to Mike Anthony we should not be worrying about the schedule. On the coaching front Edsall should be pulling out all the stops to lure Joe Harasymiak away from Minnesota.

Reaction Score
I think Gladchuck would go out of his way to help out Benedict.
Why? Gladchuck is USNA grad. He has a full conference schedule plus Army, Air Force and ND (most years). Game 12 can go to almost any other team in the country.

Reaction Score
Well there's UMass, play them twice if we have to,

Would the NCAA count both games toward bowl eligibility? If they would its not a crazy idea to have a home and home with UMASS every year. It would certainly save on travel expenses. Teams often meet a second time for the conference playoff game. It's almost dumb not to do it while both teams are independent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would the NCAA count both games toward bowl eligibility? If they would its not a crazy idea to have a home and home with UMASS every year. It would certainly save on travel expenses. Teams often meet a second time for the conference playoff game. It's almost dumb not to do it while both teams are independent.

Yes since both are D1/FBS schools. Not the case in this scenario but you can only count one game against FCS opponents if you play two games against FCS schools in a season.

Reaction Score
Heard some talk (I don't usually get football info) that one thing Benedict may do to get teams to play us initially is play one Yankee Stadium/Fenway game a year as a "home game." With the flexibility of being independent, we can work with both stadiums on filling dates once baseball season is over. I know Fenway is very interested, and Yankee Stadium seems amendable as well.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Heard some talk (I don't usually get football info) that one thing Benedict may do to get teams to play us initially is play one Yankee Stadium/Fenway game a year as a "home game." With the flexibility of being independent, we can work with both stadiums on filling dates once baseball season is over. I know Fenway is very interested, and Yankee Stadium seems amendable as well.

I guess as Independent you have to do what you have to do, but football in baseball stadiums sucks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I think it's great idea and am all for building a regional brand. Plenty of schools do these one off games at "neutral" sites.d

Wasn't the genesis if the 10 game NDU series that UConn is required to play home games at the Rent?

I know UConn played as "home" team at Fenway but does UConn need 6 games at Rent and anything else a freebie as far as location?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think it's great idea and am all for building a regional brand. Plenty of schools do these one off games at "neutral" sites.d

Wasn't the genesis if the 10 game NDU series that UConn is required to play home games at the Rent?

I know UConn played as "home" team at Fenway but does UConn need 6 games at Rent and anything else a freebie as far as location?

It was on the old board, but there was a huge debate between the proponents of the ND series with our home games being played Giants Stadium. I for one, was for that move given that it was ND and the game would be in an actual football stadium that between us and ND we'd fill up.

If you're talking ND or Michigan at YS or Fenway, sure.

Pitt or Cuse? No thanks.

Reaction Score
I guess as Independent you have to do what you have to do, but football in baseball stadiums sucks.
to be determined, but at least UConn’s last gridiron game in a small baseball park financed Red Pants’ disappearance. Obtaining opponents’ commitments to play, attractive financial incentives, flexibility, overcoming logistical challenges, etc may put more weight in another baseball stadium game’s pros vs cons column.

Reaction Score

The agreement was a minimum of 6 games had to be played @ Rentschler.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Here's a schedule that I think is fairly realistic (starting in 2022):
Illinois (H)
Indiana (A)
Wake Forest (A)
Boston College (H)
Syracuse (A)
Rutgers (H)
UCF (A)
Maine (H)
BYU (H)
Army (A)
LSU (A)
UMass (H)

Reaction Score

Touch of irony: Team XYZ vs. UConn at Yankee Stadium Saturday at 4 P.M. on SNY. Check your local listings for Cable Channel #.

Reaction Score

Interesting thread on Reddit. Someone asked if they'd rather schedule UMass or UConn now that we are both independents only half an hour away from eachother. Pretty much everyone says they'd rather their school play UConn for the brand recognition. Michigan, Penn St, Alabama fans all said they'd rather go to Storrs than Amherst.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I am wondering if AD David Benedict will be hamstrung on finalizing any football scheduling until he has a football tv deal. If your anyone visiting the Rent, don’t you want to know for sure how your home fans will view the game?

I think a tv deal could get done in a week or two, but it might be in the way of getting the scheduling ball rolling, especially for any home games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom